Menu

Electives?

I'm sitting here knitting with my daughter and discussing sewing. She said she should get credit for knitting or sewing as a class.

We have no oversight in NJ so I can give her "credit" if I choose to.

Has anyone done a semester course like that?

I like the idea of it but I can't imagine putting on college transcript. Plus sometimes we have enough trouble just getting through math, science, etc.

Why not give her a home ec credit?

Agree. I'm old enough to have gone to a high school that required girls to have a home ec credit and boys had to take JROTC.

They did away with those strict requirements the year after I graduated and changed it to 2 years of any combination of home ec/JROTC/PE with a minimum of 1 year PE.

Cinder

Add in allowing her to menu plan, clean up the house for a week, cook meals and learn about balanced nutrition, and I'd say you have it.

You don't necessarily even have to do that. My sister took sewing classes in high school. I don't know what they were called, but probably some kind of home ec. If your dd does 120 hours of sewing/knitting over her high school career, I would give her a credit.

Edited by cathmom
typo

You don't necessarily even have to do that. My sister took sewing classes in high school. I don't know what they were called, but probably some kind of home ec. If your dd does 120 hours of sewing/knitting over her high school career, I would give her a credit.

I took sewing in high school, too, and I graduated in 2003, so it's still pretty currently offered in some high schools.

Okay, I have a reason NOT to give it (though I think it's perfectly fine to do so also).

I'm a bit worried that she came up with this. It seems like kids learn too easily that they should get "paid" for everything they do. They get paid to do chores as part of a family. They want high school credit for something they're doing for interest. They look for volunteer work, sports, arts, jobs, etc to look "well-rounded." They want to know how much money in order to help a neighbor clean out the garage. And the list goes on.

Now, I'm sure you'll be able to note twelve things she does without wanting credit for it or thinking about her application to college or whatever. I hope so.

So I guess my thought is that though it is just fine to give her credit for that, it is just fine to allow it to be an interest, a hobby, a "ministry," etc without it earning her something else (money, credit, etc).

If my child had a strong transcript with enough academically rigorous credits, I would see no harm in giving her credit for sewing.

I would not, however, allow sewing to fill the number of required credits in lieu of a more rigorous class because I do not think that a sewing credit makes her transcript stand out when she applies to a selective school.

It all depends on what your DD wants to do after high school. If she wants to be a seamstress, sewing credit is wonderful.

I have a big issue with home ec because learning to do basic housekeeping is part of growing up and helping out in our family; I do not feel I should have to award credit for that.

You could also take it in a different direction - fiber arts. Include other fiber arts like quilting, embroidery, crochet, weaving, have her learn to soin wool, and so on. Include a historical study of each, some techniques, require related projects, and you can have a very filled subject area.

Okay, I have a reason NOT to give it (though I think it's perfectly fine to do so also).

I'm a bit worried that she came up with this. It seems like kids learn too easily that they should get "paid" for everything they do. They get paid to do chores as part of a family. They want high school credit for something they're doing for interest. They look for volunteer work, sports, arts, jobs, etc to look "well-rounded." They want to know how much money in order to help a neighbor clean out the garage. And the list goes on.

So I guess my thought is that though it is just fine to give her credit for that, it is just fine to allow it to be an interest, a hobby, a "ministry," etc without it earning her something else (money, credit, etc).

But if she went to a school that offered sewing and took it because she was interested in it, she'd get a credit.

However, I see your point, and I agree that not everything should be turned into a credit.

I have a big issue with home ec because learning to do basic housekeeping is part of growing up and helping out in our family; I do not feel I should have to award credit for that.

I agree that a child should not get credit for basic housekeeping. However, I awarded my oldest a home ec credit because while I was pg with the twins and after when they were newborns, he ran our household. He chose menus, made the shopping lists, did all the cooking, organized his siblings to help keep the house clean, and took care of the toddler. I felt that deserved a credit on his transcript!

We called it "Textiles."

Rosie

:iagree: but it was a little more than just sewing, it included learning about different fibers, how they are made etc, and working with different fibers eg. learning about the structure of cane, learning bout different weaving techniques, weaving a basket. writing up a report on the history of weaving, explaining different techniques used, with examples.

The same thing with sewing.

I think for a credit at year 11, and 12 level, it should involve more work than just doing some sewing for fun.

Oh Cath, I completely understand and agree.

I guess I see it like this. As homeschoolers, we can make ANYTHING a "subject;" however, that doesn't mean we SHOULD. It seems like some homeschoolers tend towards doing that. Additionally, I think it's an issue that kids in schools are not following interests because they need this credit and that, to do certain things to look good on an application, to make money for junk food and a car.

I'm just saying to be mindful of it. But there is no reason to not make one (or a few) interest(s) something on the transcript or for the college application either.

Oh no...it's that word again! BALANCE :)

You could also take it in a different direction - fiber arts. Include other fiber arts like quilting, embroidery, crochet, weaving, have her learn to soin wool, and so on. Include a historical study of each, some techniques, require related projects, and you can have a very filled subject area.

I was going to say the same thing. I'd call it fiber arts. Make it an art credit rather than home ec.

For home ec, I tend to think of more practical skills like cooking, mending and basic home management and repairs.