Menu

1st time in 13 Mos - I went running w/the dog on the road...................

:hurray:

13 months ago I was run off the road by a car when the dog and I were out running and trying to get home as a thunderstorm was coming. The driver of the car never stopped, I was in a ditch on the side of the road. I landed on my right shoulder and on my right ankle which had been fractured a year earlier. My clothes were torn, I was bleeding and my ankle and shoulder felt like a stick of dynamite had exploded in each.

The leash came out of my hand and we had only had the dog about 2 weeks so it wasn't that we were really well acquainted yet......but I did know him well enough to know that he was afraid of thunder......and it was thundering. He was in the middle of the road (unharmed thankfully) with his leash just lying there as it had come out of my hand, and it thundered. I did not want him to run away.......hounds can run........I was limping..........and I had gone out without a cell phone (I made a note to myself NOT to do that again).

I crawled up from the side of the road and made the clicking (like you would make for a horse) noise that I used with Guidry and said 'here, boy,' trying not to cry as I was in agony.

I literally crawled to him, was thankful no other cars were coming (we were about ten houses from home) and I got my hands on the leash. Patted him and told him what a good boy he was. Then I cried. I was SO relieved. I somehow got to my feet, got back to the shoulder of the road, and we started limping home.

By now it was raining and thundering. We went about two houses and we saw dh and the kids coming in the car. I waved them back home as the rain was so hard by now they couldn't even see that my clothes were ripped and I was bleeding.

Guidry and I got home. DH and the kids were horrified by what had happened and ran for ice and peroxide and the rest.

Since then, I've walked with the kids, driven to places and walked with the dog and kids, used the elliptical, and just last week started doing the Shred.

Well, today, after doing the Shred, I HAD to go out and run. I took the dog, and we walked where our accident had occured but we walked into the direction of the traffic (it's not a busy road) as opposed to last year when we were running with the direction of the traffic. I kind of had to un-do the bad thing that had happened.:D

Further up on our former route, most of which is sidewalk, we ran. I loved it. He is such a good running dog.

That is all - big deal for me b/c I LOVE running and walking on the road with the dog.

:D

Edited by MariannNOVA

:cheers2:

That is great! I have thought about trying to run with my dog, but it's been so hot this summer that I haven't wanted to try. Plus he is old and has not run with someone for a couple of years (my dh used to take him). Cars do make me nervous, but I always run on the left, so I can see what's coming.

I'm glad you have made a good recovery. Enjoy running!

Good job!! (And what an awful experience that first one was - I'm sorry that happened to you!)

I would LOVE to have a k9 running partner!

Thank you and congrats on the job you did today!

I've been running for 20 years and Guidry is my first running partner -- poor thing - 6th time out with him and I almost get us killed!

He's a good looking dog -- he deserves a more fit running partner -- I am working on it.;)

post-10544-13535083841357_thumb.jpg

post-10544-13535083841357_thumb.jpg

:cheers2:

That is great! I have thought about trying to run with my dog, but it's been so hot this summer that I haven't wanted to try. Plus he is old and has not run with someone for a couple of years (my dh used to take him). Cars do make me nervous, but I always run on the left, so I can see what's coming.

I'm glad you have made a good recovery. Enjoy running!

I hear you -- every time we went to a rescue event, we knew that we wanted a dog who would be able to run with us.

And, it has been brutally hot, you are right......too hot to run with him this summer. And, I also had always run on the left...........that one evening, we were so close to home and the weather was so threatening, I didn't want to go over to the other side --:svengo:-- I should have....I am much happier if I can see what is coming.:)

Way to go!!!!! Overcoming that hurdle was a big deal and you SHOULD be proud of yourself!!! So, when's your next race???? (I'm not kidding!)

I am going to have to look at a schedule - I haven't run a race since the day dh and got engaged -- day before mother's day, 1995. I still have the t-shirt.;)

ETA: Where are my manners? Thank you! PS - your ds was so funny last night!

I am going to have to look at a schedule - I haven't run a race since the day dh and got engaged -- day before mother's day, 1995. I still have the t-shirt.;)

ETA: Where are my manners? Thank you! PS - your ds was so funny last night!

I think you should train to run a race at Disney in January. They have a 5K, half marathon, and a full. I'm running the full, dh/ds are running the half, ds is running the 5K, and ds/dd are running the 1 mile fun run. My sister is running the half AND full marathons!!

I think you should train to run a race at Disney in January. They have a 5K, half marathon, and a full. I'm running the full, dh/ds are running the half, ds is running the 5K, and ds/dd are running the 1 mile fun run. My sister is running the half AND full marathons!!

Disney in January? That will be my 'research' for tonight.:D

wow! I am so sorry that happened to you!!!

So glad you enjoyed a good run today! Running is something I'll never be able to do with weak knees and now bad ankles. I'll be happy to powerwalk, though. I miss that!!!

Guidry is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, thank you! He's such a good pooch!

When I went to the D.O., I went b/c my foot was becoming numb from a compressed nerve from the fall. She looked at me, and said: 'Did you land on your right shoulder as well?' Which I had. So, she worked on that too.

I will power walk any day -- get yourself back here to the nation's capital!;)

Edited by MariannNOVA

Yeah, Mariann. Shred and running? You are putting me to shame.

Your dog is great looking. I love the hound look; it's so Old World.

Be careful. Next time you fall you might break a hip. (couldn't resist)

Thank you, D.A. :) Yes, Shred and running -- that houndis a good looking dog, he deserves a better looking running partner.

And, as far as that hip thing: :toetap05: Right now I have a touch too much padding to worry about THAT happening.:glare:

Oh, thank you! He's such a good pooch!

When I went to the D.O., I went b/c my foot was becoming numb from a compressed nerve from the fall. She looked at me, and said: 'Did you land on your right shoulder as well?' Which I had. So, she worked on that too.

I will power walk any day -- get yourself back here to the nation's capital!;)

I don't know if that's a good idea. I lost the ability to tell left from right, remember? ;):lol:

Thank you, D.A. :) Yes, Shred and running -- that houndis a good looking dog, he deserves a better looking running partner.

And, as far as that hip thing: :toetap05: Right now I have a touch too much padding to worry about THAT happening.:glare:

now see, DA is not a very good friend. I never would have said that to you. Tell her to respect her elders and then kick her to the curb!

(Dragon, you KNOW I'm kidding!)