Menu

zhu zhu pets...are they any fun??

my kids saw these today at a store and they thought they just needed to have them...luckily, the rule at our home is that if they want something outside of Christmas and birthday, they buy it themselves and they all were broke...but before I let them use their money on these, I wanted to see if anybody here has owned these things and if they were worth any amount of money spent...I know when they first came out they were expensive, but now they are aunder $10...but are they really worth even that??

Kathy

my kids saw these today at a store and they thought they just needed to have them...luckily, the rule at our home is that if they want something outside of Christmas and birthday, they buy it themselves and they all were broke...but before I let them use their money on these, I wanted to see if anybody here has owned these things and if they were worth any amount of money spent...I know when they first came out they were expensive, but now they are aunder $10...but are they really worth even that??

Kathy

I don't think so. My dd has one, and she liked it when she first got it, but I haven't seen it in awhile. She still oohs and aahs over the new ones in the store, or the baby ones, but I'll remind her how she doesn't play with the one she has.

My kids like them, but they manage to burn through batteries and I don't replace them. :tongue_smilie:

I have no problem with my kids spending their own money on them, and I may (and have) thrown one in an Easter basket or under the Christmas tree, but I definitely wouldn't spend *my* money on them outside of those types of occasions. I'd rather buy them a book that cost's twice as much. ;)

My 5 1/2 year old daughter has several and really likes them. She acts like they are real pets at times and discusses how she needs to feed them. She puts them to bed at night because "they are not the nocturnal types of hamsters" She often brings one of them to the table during school time so it can learn right along with her.

For a cheap $10 item, I think they're great. :D

They are junky. We have owned several and have had to contact the company to send them back and wait nearly 3 weeks to get the new ones and then they break again. They will still make noise but then all of a sudden stop moving. My middler dd is the one that had them and she is so tender with her toys and played only on the top of her dresser....but after they kept breaking I refused to purchase anymore..no matter how cute they are...however...I just saw today that Fur Real has come out with their own version which I'm ALL for! because we own ALOT of Fur Real pets and they haven't broken yet and they've been through beating after beating from the monkey ninja 18m boy.:lol:

They are junky. We have owned several and have had to contact the company to send them back and wait nearly 3 weeks to get the new ones and then they break again. They will still make noise but then all of a sudden stop moving. My middler dd is the one that had them and she is so tender with her toys and played only on the top of her dresser....but after they kept breaking I refused to purchase anymore..no matter how cute they are...however...I just saw today that Fur Real has come out with their own version which I'm ALL for! because we own ALOT of Fur Real pets and they haven't broken yet and they've been through beating after beating from the monkey ninja 18m boy.:lol:

I have always wondered about the fur real pets too...they are a good product???

Kathy

Kathy

They were 25% off at Kohls and I had an additional 30% off so I got a good buy on them. I have them put away for a rainy day for dd. I purchased 2 along with the stroller and 2 babies. I'll report back once she plays with them.

Battery operated rodents. :glare: No thanks.

I don't get it either. At Christmas these things were going for mega bucks and my only thought was why not buy the kids a real hamster? There isn't any way to convince me that a battery operated hamster is the must have toy. Peer pressure at its finest.

Dh managed to find two at Christmas for crazy low prices, so he bought one for each of the boys. They played with them initially, but they broke within a month - still made noise, but stopped moving. In that time, I also had to replace the batteries once as they really drain through them. I wouldn't recommend them.

My middle just had to have one for her birthday this past March. She got two along with some kind of house thing for them. I put one in each of their Easter baskets, too. They played with them for about two weeks, and that was it. I think they are kinda lame.

DD got one for her 6th birthday. She says she wants more but never plays with the one she has. The 2 year old is quite fascinated with it though! He's so cute:) He has it run around and says "He's going over there! Come here, guinea pig!" (though I've told him it's a hamster) and he squeals with delight. Otherwise I'd have tossed the thing into the depths of the closet by now!