Menu

Saxon Math users.. advice please?

We've been using Saxon from the beginning and have been happy with it.. it's a good fit for us.

But.. I am just mulling over what happens when my kids get to the stage, in a few years time, when they come to do high school math and there's effectively an extra year to be completed, now that Saxon have separated Geometry into an individual course. How do you fit this in? Is it supposed to be done after Algebra 1, or 2? If Saxon have simply taken the Geometry work out of Algebra 1, 2, and Advanced Math, is it possible to do all four courses over three grades?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

At our local homeschool store, they are teaching Saxon with the new Geometry. The teacher told me that she puts Geometry in between Algebra I and Algebra II. This would work if your student completes the courses as follows:

8th - Algebra I

9th - Geometry

10th - Algebra II

11th - Advanced Math

12th - Calculus

If your student starts Algebra I in 9th grade, there is only one way that I can see to do all the books, and that would be to school year round, completing one book every six months. You can accomplish this by working 5 lessons during the week and taking a test on Saturday. I know this can be done because one of our sons came home from p.s., started 8th grade with 87 and finished Calculus by 11th grade.

Bonita

I thought geometry was integrated in Saxon Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Advanced Math. Couldn't you use their geometry book and eliminate the geometry from the other books? Or just use the other books without the geometry book? I seem to remember that it frequently takes longer than a year to complete Advanced Math.

Edited by EKS

It is my understanding that you don't need to do the Geometry course if you are doing Advanced Mathematics. The first half of geometry is covered in Algebra 2, and the 2nd half is covered within the first half of Advanced Mathematics. I've been told this by parents on this site whose children have used Saxon all the way through, and recently read it in Art Reed's book Using John Saxon's Math Books. So I am very comfortably planning to not use the Geometry course. :001_smile:

According to the Saxon rep I spoke to at convention this year they added to the geometry program for those who needed it to fullfill state requirements or just wanted a little more geometry than is provided in Algebra 2 and Advanced Math. Alegbra 2 and Advanced Math does cover the basics of high school geometry so the course is not needed but can be used.

It is my understanding that you don't need to do the Geometry course if you are doing Advanced Mathematics. The first half of geometry is covered in Algebra 2, and the 2nd half is covered within the first half of Advanced Mathematics. I've been told this by parents on this site whose children have used Saxon all the way through, and recently read it in Art Reed's book Using John Saxon's Math Books. So I am very comfortably planning to not use the Geometry course. :001_smile:

This is correct. I have graduated two who used Saxon all the way through and my third son will be doing Advanced Mathematics this year in 11th grade.

Thanks so much for your input. It sounds like if I was able to get the older edition books, I wouldn't have to bother with buying Geometry - but I guess it depends what's available when I get to that stage. Perhaps, given the frequency with which Saxon changes their curriculum, it might all be different anyway!!

I don't think they've changed the Saxon books and taken out the geometry, they've just added another book. I don't plan on having my dc do the new geometry book, but I still feel confident in awarding 1 full geometry credit after completing both the Algebra II and 1st 1/2 of the Advanced Math book. From what I know the Advanced Math counts as two credits. One for Geometry with Advanced Algebra and one for Trigonometry with Pre-Calculus.

I don't believe the 4th edition is even sold to homeschoolers through such venues as Rainbow Resource. The 3rd edition of Algebra 2 is in their latest catalog and online. It sounds like the 4th is mostly for public or private schools.

BTW, Mr. Reed, I have your CDs for Algebra 2 on my shelf and I am VERY happy to have them to help us through this year.

Please allow my twenty-some years experience with the Saxon math books to disagree with you about the new geometry and algebra books created by HMHCO under the Saxon title. While I was speaking to a group of homeschool educators in Cinncinati recently, I was telling them that the new fourth editions of the Saxon algebra 1 and algebra 2 books published by HMHCO did not have geometry in them, a homeschool parent commented that I was mistaken because she had called the company customer service desk and they told her there was geometry in the new fourth edition of their Saxon algebra one book. I have a copy of that edition. It was designed to be sold to the public schools along with the company’s new geometry textbook, and it does not integrate geometry into the content of the book’s one hundred twenty lessons as John’s third edition of algebra one does..

www.usingsaxon.com

As stated above this would apply to the public school editions. If you are using the home school editions, Geometry is still included in the third editions which are the most recent editions on their website.

This is from the Saxon Homeschool FAQ:

What are my options for geometry?

The upper level Saxon Homeschool programs have geometry integrated into them. Geometry is easily integrated into algebra because the topics are strongly interrelated, and this approach has proven to be very effective. Rather than spend an entire year on geometry, Saxon introduces geometry concepts into the math series at the appropriate times. For those homeschoolers whose states have strict requirements for geometry curricula, or for those who would prefer to spend a full year on geometric concepts, we have introduced a 1st Edition Saxon Geometry program.

How can a high school student receive a geometry credit on his/her transcript when they use Saxon books?

Geometry concepts are introduced in Saxon's early textbooks, but the heart of the geometry course is embedded in Algebra 2 and Advanced Math. Students who complete Algebra 2 have taken the equivalent of one semester in geometry, but they will need to complete Advanced Math in order to complete one full year of Euclidean geometry. Because Advanced Math is a rigorous book, it is most often completed in three or four semesters. Students completing Advanced Math will have taken the equivalent of one year of geometry and one year of trigonometry and advanced algebra. For those who prefer to spend a full year studying geometric concepts, we now also offer the Saxon Geometry homeschool package.

What geometry credit should be given on my child's transcript for Algebra 2 and Advanced Math?

Students who complete Algebra 2 can be given credit for one semester of informal geometry (geometry without rigorous proofs). Students who complete Advanced Mathematics can be given credit for one full year of Euclidean geometry. The full-year credit includes credit for completing Algebra 2.

My dd came to me recently and said, "Mom, I hate to admit it, but I really like Algebra!" :) She is using Algebra I, and the Reed DVD.

Yeah! If my dd ever comes to me and says that she likes Algebra, I will have one big HAPPY party or one big heart attack. Not sure which. :D

We have yet to start Mr. Reed's CDs, but I will report our experience as soon as we have one!

My dd is enjoying Algebra 1 too, but I've been hesitate to say anything since she's still in review material. I'm curious to see how it goes once she's into new-to-her stuff. I have high hopes though. Mr. Reed explains concepts very well.

In our county, students are required to have four math credits and most average and above average students now take Alg I in 8th grade so Calculus is very normal here. We are doing Saxon Advanced Math this year in 10th grade and will take a year and 1/2 to do it using the Art Lee method and will do Calculus next. My dgd will be awarded credits for Alg II, Geometry, Advanced Math/Trig and Calculus for high school math. I don't see any college that will take issue with this program. I would see no need for an separate Geometry in our program. In PS, they have chosen not to honor the extensive geometry that is integrated even before Alg 1/2 which amounts in the completion of the first half Advanced Math Trig to more than a whole year of formal Geometry. Go to Art Lee's site and he has a video that explains it beautifully.