Menu

How do you homeschool when you are depressed?

Have a folder of do-it-yourself activities, projects, worksheets. Have educational videos at the ready. Brainpop is great. Take a hot bubble bath. Encourage independent reading. Go for walks with the kids. Go to the beach. Ask DH to step in more.

It will pass. :grouphug:

Looking at your siggie, you have a lot of teacher-intensive curricula, so I agree with others to substitute more independent work for a while. If you have Netflix or Discovery Streaming you can assign lots of documentaries. You can get a bunch of DK books from the library on science & history topics and just let them read/browse — ask the 9 yo to "teach" the 5 & 6 yos. I'd also add in lots of nature study — give everyone a small notebook and some colored pencils and go for a walk, or just sit in the backyard and observe things. The sunshine, fresh air, and exercise are the best thing for depression. With the ages of your kiddos, a few weeks of reading, documentaries, and nature walks will not cause any big problems in your schedule and may give you the time/space you need to deal with things.

:grouphug:

Jackie

Ask DH to step in more.

Ha! He's half my problem. :glare:

Oops, I didn't mean to say that out loud....;)

You take mental health breaks, get out of the house, get into some fresh air/sunshine. Get help from professionals if it lasts more than a week. Start exercising if you're not, a morning/evening walk can do wonders. Something needs to change for there to be change...

When I read this I immediately started to feel a little lighter. Thanks. I'm in the middle of a long, hot summer. I think August for me is like what people farther north experience in February. I don't go outside in the summer. And I have 2 months to go. Sigh.

Looking at your siggie, you have a lot of teacher-intensive curricula, so I agree with others to substitute more independent work for a while. If you have Netflix or Discovery Streaming you can assign lots of documentaries. You can get a bunch of DK books from the library on science & history topics and just let them read/browse — ask the 9 yo to "teach" the 5 & 6 yos. I'd also add in lots of nature study — give everyone a small notebook and some colored pencils and go for a walk, or just sit in the backyard and observe things. The sunshine, fresh air, and exercise are the best thing for depression. With the ages of your kiddos, a few weeks of reading, documentaries, and nature walks will not cause any big problems in your schedule and may give you the time/space you need to deal with things.

I haven't even started some of those things in dd's line. I could have done all this last year with a newborn. I don't think I will be able to do it all with a climbing-on-the-table toddler. I'm getting anxious all over again as I try to sit down to schedule next week. I may have to rethink the school year. Thanks for the ideas.

Those are hard ages, Bonnie, and a 1 y.o. is going to make your year challenging.

Putting myself in your shoes~if I were already feeling blue, guilt and anxiety about carrying out my plans would overwhelm me.

I would have to concentrate (lol!) to remember why I was homeschooling in the first place, and focus on those sweet faces.

A lot of couch and read aloud time (children's devotionals, stories) would be necessary to get the joy back.

I know we're all different, but cuddling with our dc is great medicine!

One of my favorite books for homeschooling mom's in the thick of things is Christine Fields' book, Help for the Harried Homeschooler. She talks about the desert of dry bones, illness and toddlers.

I also find that exercise first thing in the morning is essential - outside exercise whether it is 90 decrees or 5 degrees. However, the only way I would get my butt out of bed consistently is to have an exercise partner - someone I would not want to disappoint by not showing up. It can be a challenge to find the right person, but that has been a kicker for me.

Also, I need a morning routine for myself, just like for my kids. If I sit down too long after I get home from exercise, inertia creeps over me and I get less done. I actually have to schedule that first activity with my kids to make sure I get done with my routine!

Shelve school for a week. Plan a couple of fun outings - even if it's to somewhere indoors with good a/c. :) Let your older one read stories to the younger ones. Bake. Go outside and swim or just get bathing suits on and grab a hose. Some sunshine might make all the difference. If hubby's part of the problem, a water fight (outside) can do wonders. Just make sure you have the hose. :D You can give him a little water pistol just so he doesn't feel totally unarmed. :D

I haven't even started some of those things in dd's line. I could have done all this last year with a newborn. I don't think I will be able to do it all with a climbing-on-the-table toddler. I'm getting anxious all over again as I try to sit down to schedule next week. I may have to rethink the school year. Thanks for the ideas.

Oh, sweetie, if scheduling is stressing you out, then don't! If you've got a 1 yo and you're already feeling stressed and depressed before the school year even starts, then I would definitely rethink next year. A year of read alouds and documentaries and math games and nature walks will not hurt anybody, and it may save your sanity!

Whenever I feel overwhelmed I just remind myself that there are only three things my kids really NEED to accomplish by the time they're 18: (1) make it through Alg II or Precalc, (2) be able to write a decent essay, (3) be thoughtful, reasonably well-adjusted, responsible people. Taking a year out, especially at these young ages, to just read and cuddle and go for walks will not in any way jeopardize their futures, and it may even turn out to be one of your most memorable homeschooling years. ;)

Jackie

Guest janainaz

I never refer to it as being 'depressed' - somehow that makes it bigger than it is. I just look at it like a bad/off day.

The only thing that makes me feel any better when I'm feeling down, is to get stuff done and accomplish things. So we still do school and in between I clean and organize. It always snaps me out of it. If I sit around and let myself do nothing, I feel a million times worse.

Shelve school for a week. Plan a couple of fun outings - even if it's to somewhere indoors with good a/c. :) Let your older one read stories to the younger ones. Bake. Go outside and swim or just get bathing suits on and grab a hose. Some sunshine might make all the difference. If hubby's part of the problem' date=' a water fight (outside) can do wonders. Just make sure you have the hose. :D You can give him a little water pistol just so he doesn't feel totally unarmed. :D[/quote']

:lol::lol::lol:

I'll get right on that. :D

I never refer to it as being 'depressed' - somehow that makes it bigger than it is. I just look at it like a bad/off day.

The only thing that makes me feel any better when I'm feeling down, is to get stuff done and accomplish things. So we still do school and in between I clean and organize. It always snaps me out of it. If I sit around and let myself do nothing, I feel a million times worse.

Good point. I really think this is temporary, but I start to worry that it won't be if I don't figure out what needs to change.

Guest janainaz
Good point. I really think this is temporary, but I start to worry that it won't be if I don't figure out what needs to change.

:grouphug: When it's that (bad, serious, whatever) - just don't be hard on yourself. If you need to take time to sort things out, just focus on being loving to your kids and don't stress yourself out or start feeling worse by feeling guilty that you're not getting everything done. That's just a big, nasty snowball effect. Ups and downs are what make life - life! :001_smile:

You don't have to exercise outside, do you have music that you love? Blast it from the speakers and just dance and sing!

Get outside early in the morning to walk, do you have a pet? IPod to listen to? Audiobooks, music, radio anything and walk before Dh leaves for work. Then take a nap in the afternoon with the kids if you need to.

You need to find something that will make YOU feel good, alive and bring joy into your daily life. Whatever that is, allow yourself to enjoy it. Do not guilt yourself into never giving yourself time. If you dh is unable/unwillingly to help, ask a friend.

Nature walks were mostly MY thing, I turned it into a "us" thing by adding nature journals, pictures and classification. I just loved getting OUT there and being in nature. It's refreshing and grounding.

Look at diet, exercise, supplements, anything to help physically.

Treat yourself to hot baths and your favorite hot drink every night as a reward for getting through the day.

Set the kids up as independently as possible. Remove any books you don't want them reading, for example. Then they'll do educational reading by default.

Find someone to hold you accountable for dragging yourself through the day. Better to make it someone who isn't understanding if you fall down.

Find someone who is understanding who you can call whenever you need to talk.

Oh, sweetie, if scheduling is stressing you out, then don't! If you've got a 1 yo and you're already feeling stressed and depressed before the school year even starts, then I would definitely rethink next year. A year of read alouds and documentaries and math games and nature walks will not hurt anybody, and it may save your sanity!

Whenever I feel overwhelmed I just remind myself that there are only three things my kids really NEED to accomplish by the time they're 18: (1) make it through Alg II or Precalc, (2) be able to write a decent essay, (3) be thoughtful, reasonably well-adjusted, responsible people. Taking a year out, especially at these young ages, to just read and cuddle and go for walks will not in any way jeopardize their futures, and it may even turn out to be one of your most memorable homeschooling years. ;)

Jackie

:iagree: This is genius advice. I second the read-alouds and lots of outdoor time, as this helps your mindset and is great for your kids. I had a couple of years when I was dealing with extreme health issues (including a death) with my parents and dh, and we did almost nothing like formal school for those two years. My kids survived, though it was stressful for them, too, and we still did lots of reading, which is wonderful educationally and good glue for bonding. Hang in there. :grouphug:

Just keep going?

Take a few days/weeks off?

Lighten your load?

Send them all back to school?

I got knocked on my butt last week, and I'd love to hear some of your coping skills.

If I didn't, I never would. Sad to say, depression (along with anxiety and hypochondria) is something I deal with on a daily basis. Sometimes I don't say anything, and some times are worse than other times, but every.single.day, the thoughts are there. It is just what I choose to do with them...

If I get really bad off, we do take breaks. Sometimes I just need space/time. Other times, I need to push through it and keep going just to keep my sanity.

If you are convicted to homeschool, then sending them pack to school would NOT be one of my chosen options.

I am sorry you are suffering. Another important thing that keeps me going is that I take Lexapro. It was hard for me to come to the place where I knew I needed something to help me...as a matter of fact, I spent YEARS going on and back off just trying to deny that I truly NEEDED it.

If I didn't, I never would. Sad to say, depression (along with anxiety and hypochondria) is something I deal with on a daily basis. Sometimes I don't say anything, and some times are worse than other times, but every.single.day, the thoughts are there. It is just what I choose to do with them...

If I get really bad off, we do take breaks. Sometimes I just need space/time. Other times, I need to push through it and keep going just to keep my sanity.

If you are convicted to homeschool, then sending them pack to school would NOT be one of my chosen options.

I am sorry you are suffering. Another important thing that keeps me going is that I take Lexapro. It was hard for me to come to the place where I knew I needed something to help me...as a matter of fact, I spent YEARS going on and back off just trying to deny that I truly NEEDED it.

Thank you. Just thanks for this. And :grouphug:.

I noticed in your sig that you have 2 kids close in age. I would just do the same program with them instead of trying to do so many different things. At that age, my kids who are two years apart did sonlight history program, a math program and HWT. We did a lot of field trips and just playing with stuff around the house and outside. For your older one try to find things that can be done idependetly or with little effort on your part. That's why we liked MUS. It didn't take long for me to teach and then he was on his own. I also liked Shurley English because everything I was to say was already scripted for me. No planning etc. I'd also look into apologia for science since those can often be done by themselves. You'll still spend time with them but it won't be so draining on you when you're in one of those days that you just can't get going.

Another thanks and :grouphug: for this.

I ran into a bumpy emotional moment a couple weeks before school was to start....and it was mostly feeling run down from all the filing, scheduling and realizing that I haven't anyone my age that is a living being around me as much as I wish. If that makes sense. I'm surrounded in kids, housework and my wifely tasks. ALL that I'm so thankful for but I def. got the blue bug a couple weeks ago and the only thing I could do was just cry!

Once we got started on school I felt so much better but then fell into my CRABBY loop when my 18m ds had to scream and sing louder than I was talking and had to see how fast he could trash the house while I was doing a lesson or how loud he could bang the cookie sheets in the kitchen or how fast he could transfer dog food from the bowl to the water dish before I caught him...oh mama I feel the pain of enjoyment! Oh how I do. BUT now I've got it figured out...Crayons, Paper, Pom Pom's and Excersize ball. All these things keep him busy and ME while I'm teaching the morning lessons. When it's lunch he'll eat and then and go down for a nap and I bust through the afternoon lessons with the kids already feeling run down. BUT when we're done I'm glad that day is done...I know this time will pass and soon enough he'll be ok to do a file folder game or read a book with me..but for now...ripping, tearing, fussing and hollaring is all in his schedule this year :lol:

Another thing I did this year is purchased lunchboxes for them. I pack their lunch everyday..this saves me the hussle and bussle of lunch time...I can focus on grabbing food the bouncing toddler I have on my hands and let the older kids enjoy their lunch together...and handle the bouncing boy and get him settled down. Last year it was crazy around lunch time and although the girls spent the morning learning they'd have to wait and wait for lunch because I was running crazy dealing with baby and lunch and this and that. I try to SIMPLIFY my day..not because I want to..but if I didn't...I'd not get anything done but crying and grouchen.

I did however schedule subjects together for my 2 kids because of how well they did together last year. Maybe that's a suggestion too. Instead of doing all the diff. levels this year...do some of them together. My dd7 and dd5 both do Language Arts, Science and History together! If I had to do those all seperate at different levels I'd be BONKERZ!

Edited by mamaofblessings

Another thing I did this year is purchased lunchboxes for them.

I LOVE this idea! I've never thought of doing something like this, and lunch time can be pretty stressful.

I also just wanted to say, that I didn't mean for this thread to be about me. Last week, I had a couple of really rough days. I just couldn't make myself do anything. It occurred to me that there are people who deal with depression, real clinical depression, on a daily basis, and they have to find some way to function. I was wanting to see how they manage on those days when dragging yourself out of bed is a major accomplishment.