Menu

How important do you think library skills are now?

We have a terrible library here, so we really don't do any library research. If ds needs to research something, we do it with a computer based encyclopedia, books I own, or on-line. I would love to have a good library where ds could learn research skills, but I'm also wondering how many people actually use library skills any more now that you can learn so much on the internet.

I wouldn't even know how to teach 'modern' library skills. I used to work at a university library in the reference department, but that was a loooooong time ago, and I don't think they even have card catalogs or microfiche (sp?) any more. Do larger libraries in the US offer classes that I could have ds take while we're visiting sometime?

So do you teach library skills? At what age? How much do your kids actually use the library for research?

Interesting. We use the Internet for most of our research. We do also take out library books but normally they are ones that are titled for us already through our curriculum or SOTW or whatever... then I just go online on my library's website, request it, and they call me when they have it up front for me.

If my daughter wants a certain type of book for herself for fun she might ask where she can find them and they'll give her the shelf number or whatever and we'll go find it. But that's about the extent of it.

They might have taught her some library skills in public school as she was there from K up through most of third grade before coming out to homeschool. That was only about a year and a half ago and since then I have not specifically addressed any library skills and haven't planned to.

This is my first post, but this thread seemed like a good jumping off point!

I was an elementary school librarian and also spent a little time working in a high school library. I'm definitely planning on teaching library/research skills. Because of the integrated nature of the work I did in public schools with the teachers, I've almost come to see them as one and the same. For example, the teachers sent the kids to me when they had any kind of research to do so I was teaching parts of a book, how to use an index, table of contents, find a resource on the shelf, cite sources (both book and electronic), take notes.

I also worked in conjunction with the technology teacher to teach Word, PowerPoint, etc. Between the two of us, we'd take the kids from idea to final project.

Teaching effective online searching techniques is pretty important. Oh, and the "big thing" I taught was evaluating online sources...not all websites are created equal (as I'm sure all of you know), so we taught the kids how to determine if they were looking at valid sources.

I'll be teaching my kids how to search the library catalog, the basics of the Dewey Decimal System to locate materials independently and once we're near university age, the same for Library of Congress.

I have so many fun resources for library scavenger hunts, internet scavenger hunts, and library games that I can't wait to use!

Now truth be told, a LOT of this stuff comes up naturally in a family (homeschooling or otherwise) that uses the library on a regular basis. For many of the kids I taught, it didn't. Their only exposure to the library was a few minutes once a week for a few school years.

Edited by Zuzu822

I've worked in our county library for two years. I've never seen anyone use what I suppose would now be considered "old-fashioned" library skills.

Instead, I see the importance of general computer competence, the ability to adapt to an unknown system when looking up library books, and the necessity of understanding the Dewey Decimal System. It should be a basic skill to know how to find a book once you know where it is.

Proficiency in spelling is helpful too, but that's another thread. :)

To me, the researching at a library is pretty much the same as it has always been, it's just done a bit differently. Instead of having fingers walking through the beloved card catalog and cross referencing, you go to the computer and input your search criteria there. Admittedly it's faster, but not nearly as much fun.

I have to spend a few hours with dd and really teach her some of the things we haven't done. She needs to become more familiar with periodicals, and the reference section, and I'll have her memorize the basics of the Dewey decimal system too, but she's already pretty good on that. She'll have her first research paper due later this year, so we'll do this sometime before then. I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to schedule some time with a librarian for some more knowledgeable help. :)

I am not really sure what additional special research skills you need to use the reference resources at a library. Most libraries don't even have a card catalog anymore. Awhile back I went to one when the internet was down and asked where the card catalog was and they didn't even know what I was talking about. Luckily, I know the Dewey Decimal pretty well so I had a general idea of where it might be but most colleges don't even use the Dewey Decimal. Basically you just need the ability to look something up and find out where it is located and then physically locate it. Rarely, do people even need to use microfilm or anything like that anymore. Most kids have mastered looking things up by elementary school and I guarantee if they were looking for some sort of media they wanted they would be able to find it. As far as documenting those sources, I really consider that more of a English/Language Arts Skill. Of course, my children have spent a lot of time in libraries so maybe I taught them the things they needed to know automatically without really thinking about it.

No card catalogs here... I miss the smell of those for some reason - what is that - dusty cardboard?

Anyway - I still try to use actual books as much as wel can. We do use the computer, but if I can find a book - I prefer my ds to use that.

As for library skills - I think it is still important that kids understand the Dewey Decimal system. They don't have to have all the subject numbers memorized (although that would be nice), bt they do need to know how to look books up, and where they can find the numbers once they do. Also - how to locate fiction vs nonfiction and reference books.

I do think the library is still very relevant - as many primary documents have not been put online yet, and (as was said before) kids still use them in college.

Teaching effective online searching techniques is pretty important. Oh, and the "big thing" I taught was evaluating online sources...not all websites are created equal (as I'm sure all of you know), so we taught the kids how to determine if they were looking at valid sources.

I'll be teaching my kids how to search the library catalog, the basics of the Dewey Decimal System to locate materials independently and once we're near university age, the same for Library of Congress.

I have so many fun resources for library scavenger hunts, internet scavenger hunts, and library games that I can't wait to use!

Now truth be told, a LOT of this stuff comes up naturally in a family (homeschooling or otherwise) that uses the library on a regular basis. For many of the kids I taught, it didn't. Their only exposure to the library was a few minutes once a week for a few school years.

:iagree:

I teach Library Skills and Research Methods at the university level. Lots of students come in with very sorry skills.

Web research is a fact of life, but there's more to it than google. Libraries have databases (even small public libraries) and to do *real* research you need to know how to access them, search them, cite them, etc. If your kids are college bound, it's a must. Through most libraries' websites you can access those databases at home with your library card. If you do use Web sources -and sometimes you should - website evaluation skills are essential. (Who created this page? What was their motive? Are they linked to a company, university, government entity, and do they have an agenda? What is it?)

It's also good to know how to use the reference materials in the library. Take a list of 10 or 15 questions, and discuss (or ask your librarian) what sources are best to find those answers. The library has more than just encyclopedias... almanacs, yearbooks, gazetteers, bibliographies, thesauri, etc. Learn what they are and why to use them.

Just spending an hour in the library while not looking for a book for yourself is helpful. Just wander around in the nonfiction and get a feel for what is where. If they use the Dewey classification system, it's easy. Make a list: 100's = ___ 200's =___. Library of Congress is a little harder, but not too many public libraries use it (ours does :tongue_smilie:).

These kinds of activities can be fun if you make them fun, and will really, really help your kids in the long run. I remember being a freshman in college and being scared to death to go to the library - it was so big and scary! And to ask a staff member for help?? Are you crazy?? LOL. If you get your kids comfortable with the library and asking library staff for assistance, they'll have that skill forever.

Our library has an online card catalog that can be used there or at home. I can use it to reserve books, ILL, or ask for titles to be added to their collection. Honestly, I thought I could use it well until yesterday because I knew how to do those things. After a frustrating search (while I was actually in the library) I asked the librarian for help. She then spent over an hour showing me all the nuances of the computerized card catalog system and how to search more efficiently on the computer. There are so many more ways to search now beyond title, author, and subject. It was like traveling to a new land LOL. Next time we go I will have her teach my son the same things.

My son is only 10, and our library is not large, but I still believe that library skills are important. I assume that most libraries will take time to teach you how to use them more efficiently. I have heard of some large libraries offering classes to homeschoolers as a group and privately with an appointment. I now know our children's department is willing to teach free private classes with an appointment. It would be worth calling ahead and asking for help IMO.

:iagree: When I taught middle school, I was shocked at how many of my students couldn't figure out appropriate search terms to find information. You need this to be able to use the internet, but also the online catalog and later on databases to find articles and more in depth information for research.

While I also think kids should be able to locate a book on the shelf (and therefore be at least passing familiar with Dewey and LOC for when they get to college) I think the most important library skill is to be able to ask for help instead of wandering about lost and not finding what you need. It sounds overly simple, but I learned when I was teaching that kids will go to the library, not immediately find what they want and then come crying that there was nothing there. But when you ask the librarian, they find you a whole stack of stuff and show you a new way to find things in the meantime.

As a librarian, I'm all for library skills! :) It really is important now to be able to do proper research that doesn't involve google and wikipedia. So...everything that "meet me in paris" said!

I'm actually starting a new little job next week with the local community college library. A very large part of my job will be teaching students how to do real research, and convincing them that a google search doesn't cut it. The college has 60 different databases for research, about 22,000 e-books, and oh yeah some actual tangible books too.

College libraries use the Library of Congress system, which is more complex and includes all books (Dewey leaves out fiction, which is shelved separately). I would say that it's a good idea to learn Dewey fairly well--a passing familiarity with LoC will do just fine as it's quite easy to use if you know how to find a book with Dewey. (LoC starts with letters, as in PC3541, but the principle is just the same.)

A scope and sequence for library work, huh? Now there's an idea...

Any of you guys want to write an (even very general) scope and sequence for research and library skills? I'd be VERY interested. I believe in it and plan to teach it, but I'm not sure of all the things I need to teach.

I'll give it a shot.

Elementary library skills

What is a book?

*Fiction versus non-fiction

* Vocabulary – author, illustrator, title

* Identify parts of a book – cover, title page, table of contents, index, and glossary

What is a library?

* Locations in a library – circulation desk, reference desk, reference collection,

* Circulating collections: fiction, non-fiction, audiovisual, (other areas in your library)

* People/jobs in a library – circulation desk staff help check-out books, reference staff are there to help you, shelvers reshelve books, etc.

Your library

* How to behave in a library

* How to check-out a book (possibly get own library card)

* How to care for a book – bookmarks not dog-ears, don’t write in library books, don’t get books wet, etc.

* Basics of Dewey Decimal System (or system used by your library)

* How to use library catalog (by late elementary difference between author, title, subject, and keyword search)

Late Elementary & middle grades skills

Identify and use basic reference resources – map, atlas, encyclopedia, dictionary, thesaurus, field guide, and periodical indexes

Vocabulary – periodical, newspaper, magazine, audiovisual, genre

Library catalog – difference between author, title, subject, and keyword searches

Parts of book – review elementary skills, add appendix, title page verso, date of publication, copyright date

What is copyright?

Discussion of plagiarism

Find books and other materials on library shelves

Place requests for library materials to be held

Different types of libraries (possibly field trips to a university library, your state or historical society library, the Library of Congress, etc.)

Late middle and high school skills

How to evaluate a source?

How to correctly cite a source (Kate Turabian's Student's Guide to Writing College Papers or for more advanced students, A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations)

Difference between a magazine and a journal (may college freshmen do not know this)

When to use Google and when to use a library/subscription database

Advance search skills - Phrase searching versus keyword, database specific searches, fielded searches

ISSN and ISBN – what they are and usefulness when searching

If student is going to college – basics of Library of Congress classification system

I'll give it a shot.

Elementary library skills

What is a book?

*Fiction versus non-fiction

* Vocabulary – author, illustrator, title

* Identify parts of a book – cover, title page, table of contents, index, and glossary

What is a library?

* Locations in a library – circulation desk, reference desk, reference collection,

* Circulating collections: fiction, non-fiction, audiovisual, (other areas in your library)

* People/jobs in a library – circulation desk staff help check-out books, reference staff are there to help you, shelvers reshelve books, etc.

Your library

* How to behave in a library

* How to check-out a book (possibly get own library card)

* How to care for a book – bookmarks not dog-ears, don’t write in library books, don’t get books wet, etc.

* Basics of Dewey Decimal System (or system used by your library)

* How to use library catalog (by late elementary difference between author, title, subject, and keyword search)

Late Elementary & middle grades skills

Identify and use basic reference resources – map, atlas, encyclopedia, dictionary, thesaurus, field guide, and periodical indexes

Vocabulary – periodical, newspaper, magazine, audiovisual, genre

Library catalog – difference between author, title, subject, and keyword searches

Parts of book – review elementary skills, add appendix, title page verso, date of publication, copyright date

What is copyright?

Discussion of plagiarism

Find books and other materials on library shelves

Place requests for library materials to be held

Different types of libraries (possibly field trips to a university library, your state or historical society library, the Library of Congress, etc.)

Late middle and high school skills

How to evaluate a source?

How to correctly cite a source (Kate Turabian's Student's Guide to Writing College Papers or for more advanced students, A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations)

Difference between a magazine and a journal (may college freshmen do not know this)

When to use Google and when to use a library/subscription database

Advance search skills - Phrase searching versus keyword, database specific searches, fielded searches

ISSN and ISBN – what they are and usefulness when searching

If student is going to college – basics of Library of Congress classification system

Wow! This is terrific. I work in a library and the school kids come over weekly. I can use some of these ideas.

I also think an important search skill is the ability to follow directions, read maps, fill out forms, and keep track of things (make lists, and so forth) -- general orderliness of thought. These skills are not unique to library research.

As an example, I had no problem following the various colored lines when I went to one giant university library, because it had been like that in a previous library I had used; however, many people find reading the charts of what is housed where, to be very confusing.

Thanks for all the responses. This gives me a lot to think about. I'll try to work on what skills I can here with our mini-library and set aside some time when we're back in Florida to give the kids a good crash course in library skills in a 'real' library. Oh, how I miss having a real library close. :glare: