Menu

WTM-1999 edition....

Mommamia

I just wanted to share.....I have shelves of curriculum and still manage to read about something new that I would love to add to my collection(1/2 of which is not even getting used!). Anyway, I purchased a used edition of TWTM c1999 and suddenly feel calm. It was obviously written many years ago....which means years before tons of new curriculum came out.

The history recommendation is before SOTW

The Science is before Apologia

etc, etc.

The 1999 recommendations are working so much better for us.

It's just been a breath of fresh air for me...thought it might help someone else who is stuck in the curriculum swamp.

That is the one I own, and I keep meaning to pick up the newer version at the library to see what changes are in it, but no burning desire yet, since I haven't made it happen. But I think if I had read the later version first I might have been turned off thinking that WTM was just a way for them to sell their own books. I am glad that I found the older book.

I have both the 1999 and the new edition of WTM for comparison. Plus, I like that the 1999 one has sample schedules laid out. My planning-freak mind needs that.

SWB has made a disclaimer that she didn't want to put the schedules in but the publisher insisted.

I'm using the published schedule as an upper limit. I find that I am quite likely to pack too much in. So I'm trying to double check that I'm not scheduling EVEN more than the already demanding schedule. :D

Would you please share what the recommendations for the grammar stage are?

TIA

:lurk5: I'm curious to know as well. Is the main recommendation for grammar stage history to just do it yourself (spine + additional books + narrations)? Is there an alternate grammar stage history curriculum listed at all?

What are the grade 2 - 4 language arts recommendations?

I don't know if these questions can be answered w/o violating copyright - anyone know the answer to that one?

:lurk5: I'm curious to know as well. Is the main recommendation for grammar stage history to just do it yourself (spine + additional books + narrations)? Is there an alternate grammar stage history curriculum listed at all?

I don't know if these questions can be answered w/o violating copyright - anyone know the answer to that one?

Yes, please! Also, I can't see why is wrong with publishing schedules. Most of us need all the help we can get! :grouphug:

I'll go by memory, since my 1999 edition is loaned out at the moment. I believe that history is the Usborne History Encyclopedia plus library books and narrations. I'm fairly certain that English for the Thoughtful Child is one of the LA recc's, can't remember much beyond that, sorry about that :).

I love my 1999 edition, but when I get back in the States I am going to get the 2009 edition, just because I've heard that the logic stage section has a lot of updates and we are getting close to needing that :001_huh:.

SWB has made a disclaimer that she didn't want to put the schedules in but the publisher insisted.

I'm using the published schedule as an upper limit. I find that I am quite likely to pack too much in. So I'm trying to double check that I'm not scheduling EVEN more than the already demanding schedule. :D

I like it b/c it helps me visualize. :) I figure we'll be doing 2 hrs of actual school at most per day once we officially start K. Probably less initially.

I have the 1999 edition in front of me....

Which subjects do you want to know about? The book lists the recommendations for each grade level within the grammar stage. If you let me know the grade, I'll do my best to share what they suggest.

Is the main recommendation for grammar stage history to just do it yourself (spine + additional books + narrations)? Is there an alternate grammar stage history curriculum listed at all?

TIA!

I have the 1999 edition in front of me....

Which subjects do you want to know about? The book lists the recommendations for each grade level within the grammar stage. If you let me know the grade, I'll do my best to share what they suggest.

Thanks for your offer of help! :001_smile:

Could you please share the first and second grade recommendations particularly for science? I am still in the planning stage for that. Please also share the history reccs (although I am almost sure we will use SOTW).

I have the 2004 edition, I think, so I am interested to know what the original recommendations (w/o curricula) were.

TIA :bigear:

I love my 1999 edition, but when I get back in the States I am going to get the 2009 edition, just because I've heard that the logic stage section has a lot of updates and we are getting close to needing that :001_huh:.

Hmm. I have the first two, but not the last one. We're entering logic. what kind of updates have you heard about? Wonder if I should get it from the library.

Lesley

I own the 1999 edition, and was just thinking about getting the most recent edition.

History is just the Encyc., library books and notebooking. Science is just as simple... I do think there is something to say about doing things that way. What you lose in "pick up and go" you gain in leeway for your dc's interests and the focus on the skills rather than getting bogged down in content. (thinking of grammar stage here...)

The LA for grammar stage is mainly PP, SW, and EFTC. I've never used EFTC, but FLL and WWE are fantastic, and I see no need to NOT use them. Though, I prefer the WWE textbook so I can fold the LA work into history and science. (I don't worry so much if I don't do EVERYTHING just like SWB.;) so it works for me.)

I'm keeping SOTW, FLL, WWE...and am patiently waiting for the logic stage writing curric.

...so I should hang onto my 1999 copy, huh?:001_smile:

Hmm. I have the first two, but not the last one. We're entering logic. what kind of updates have you heard about? Wonder if I should get it from the library.

Lesley

If I had one just entering logic stage, I would absolutely get the new one. She expanded her instructions on outlining and history, making the whole process clearer. It was so helpful to me and I've been doing WTM since 1999. There were several changes in the rhetoric great books section, too, which we've found very useful.

1999 recommendations for...

History: Usborne Book of World History(1st grade-5000bc-ad400)(2nd grade-400ad-1600)

Science:1st grade-life science w/ Usborne Illustrated Ency. of the Natural World as your spine)(2nd grade-earth science/astronomy w/ Visual Factfinders series Planet Earth/Stars and Planets as your spine....or....Susan Mayes Earth and Space)

Grammar....Spelling Workout, English for the Thoughtful Child

Copywork,dictation and narration are recommended...they have simplified that by writing Writing With Ease.

HTH

I am very glad SOTW came out, but several of the other changed rec's are lost on me--

I have the "middle" version, and LOVE it.

Glad you found what works for you.

This is the one I have also :). I borrowed the new one from the library and started a comparison. I got to about 70 pages and noticed very minor differences with the main changes being on price increases. I have so.... much to do right now though that I did not have the time to dedicate there so I gave up :tongue_smilie:. Maybe I will try again someday... and then again... maybe not :D!

Edited by Guest

If I had one just entering logic stage, I would absolutely get the new one. She expanded her instructions on outlining and history, making the whole process clearer. It was so helpful to me and I've been doing WTM since 1999. There were several changes in the rhetoric great books section, too, which we've found very useful.

:iagree:

The logic stage science is completely redone as well!

I own the 1999 version as well, and have been trying to decide if I can squeeze the newest version into the budget. For now I have it from the library. It's sitting quietly in the library box, which isn't helping much, but I'm finding it really hard to get motivated to dig into it. :tongue_smilie:

Guess I should at least look through the logic and rhetoric pages.

We think SOTW is great, but I do looove my first ed. WTM. We don't follow the curriculum recommendations exclusively, but I do go back to it again and again. This year we're using Stewart English (grammar for logic stage in the 1999 WTM) and I'm very, very happy with that choice. I like it better than some of the newer options...