Menu

Audio Books for Children You've Enjoyed

Our library selection is limited but hits here are: Ribsy, My Father's Dragon, and The Mouse and the Motorcycle. Both listen to and enjoy (but I think one likes more than the other) the Boxcar Children and Chronicles of Narnia.

We do StoryNory on the computer too as well as Lit2Go and Kiddierecordsweekly. My boys also love those and no library needed!

Our favorite audiobook ever, hands-down, is Tale of Despereaux. The British actor who reads it is a genius — I only wish the movie had followed the actual storyline, and that this guy had done ALL the voices, because his version was sooooo much better than the movie. Also much better than the characterizations I would have had in my head if I'd read it myself.

We re-listen to it every few months, and whenever we have soup for dinner, the kids say "Sooooouuuup, sooooouuuup...." in Roscuro's voice. And I'm convinced that we will "boo" like Botticelli for the rest of our lives. :D

Jackie

We love Hank the Cowdog. I've actually enjoyed just about everything we've listened to except for the Percy Jackson series. I don't like the books much and really don't like the voice actor, so it takes away from listening to the story for me.

http://www.netlibrary.com/Default.aspx

This was on Homeschool Bytes this morning...and definitely something I'm wanting to see if our library will eventually begin using because our audio section is pretty lame.

The Trumpet of the Swan read by E.B. White is fabulous - complete with actual trumpet playing. You would never experience that reading from the page.

:iagree:We have also recently enjoyed Winnie the Pooh, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Series of Unfortunate Events (although I wouldn't listen to this with real young ones).

We are currently listening to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and we're loving it!!

I hear nothing but great things about Tale of Deseperaux, although I personally love to read it aloud, so I bypass the audiobook! ;)

Percy Jackson series! The entire family liked this one.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Winnie the Pooh

anything by Kate DiCamilo

Mysterious Benedict Society

Peter Pan

Magic Tree House Series

Alice in Wonderland

Ramona the Great

Keep in mind that my kids are older than yours. My youngest goes in and out of listening and enjoys some of the easier stories more than others, especially the Magic Tree House series. I have a tough crew to satisify because of the age range. We do a lot of traveling so books on CD are great entertainment!

I'm going to check out Hank the Cowdog!

My kids loved Story of the World from the time they were little. There is also a wonderful series on American history in which history is told by dialog between major characters. We bought this before a road trip for the kids and dh and I were entranced! They're called Living Principles of America (and the title sounds like it's slanted some way or another, but we didn't find them that way at all. Just great drama.)

E.B.White reading Trumpet of the Swan and Charlotte's Web.

Chronicles of Narnia. We liked the series Focus on the Family publishes.

Hank the Cowdog is incredibly funny.

Wow! I have a huge list now - Thanks:) We like a wide variety so all of this looks good. Sounds like we need to get Hank the Cowdog for sure :) - I've never heard of it. I recently bought the Winnie the Pooh series read by Peter Dennis and checked out a bunch read by Jim Weiss. My boys are going to love all of these:)