Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - Week 33

Today is the start of book week 33 and the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Have you started Book # 33 yet? Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

52 books blog: I finally read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Great book and once I finished it, wanted to turn around and read it again. Very few authors make me feel that way. The 7th book in the series An Echo in the Bone has just been released in paperback. TLC Book tours is hosting a blog tour of the series. Find out more on the blog.

What are you reading this week?

I'm in the middle of three books (#31, 32, & 33):

blindcontessa.jpgmy-name-is-red-194x300.jpg51DpZmTs3vL._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA250_Physics-of-the-Impossible-A-Scientific-Exploration-into-the-World-of-Phasers-Force-Fields-Teleportation-and-Time-Travel.jpg

The Blind Contessa's New Machine:

"
An iridescent jewel of a novel that proves love is the mother of invention

In the early 1800s, a young Italian contessa, Carolina Fantoni, realizes she is going blind shortly before she marries the town's most sought-after bachelor. Her parents don't believe her, nor does her fiancé. The only one who understands is the eccentric local inventor and her longtime companion, Turri. When her eyesight dims forever, Carolina can no longer see her beloved lake or the rich hues of her own dresses. But as darkness erases her world, she discovers one place she can still see-in her dreams. Carolina creates a vivid dreaming life, in which she can not only see, but also fly, exploring lands she had never known.

Desperate to communicate with Carolina, Turri invents a peculiar machine for her: the world's first typewriter. His gift ignites a passionate love affair that will change both of their lives forever.

Based on the true story of a nineteenth-century inventor and his innovative contraption,
The Blind Contessa's New Machine
is an enchanting confection of love and the triumph of the imagination."

My Name is Red:

"At once a fiendishly devious mystery, a beguiling love story, and a brilliant symposium on the power of art,
My Name Is Red
is a transporting tale set amid the splendor and religious intrigue of sixteenth-century Istanbul, from one of the most prominent contemporary Turkish writers.

The Sultan has commissioned a cadre of the most acclaimed artists in the land to create a great book celebrating the glories of his realm. Their task: to illuminate the work in the European style. But because figurative art can be deemed an affront to Islam, this commission is a dangerous proposition indeed. The ruling elite therefore mustn’t know the full scope or nature of the project, and panic erupts when one of the chosen miniaturists disappears. The only clue to the mystery–or crime? –lies in the half-finished illuminations themselves. Part fantasy and part philosophical puzzle,
My Name is Red
is a kaleidoscopic journey to the intersection of art, religion, love, sex and power.

Translated from the Turkish by Erda M Göknar"

Physics of the Impossible:

"Teleportation, time machines, force fields, and interstellar space ships—the stuff of science fiction or potentially attainable future technologies? Inspired by the fantastic worlds of
Star Trek, Star Wars,
and
Back to the Future
, renowned theoretical physicist and bestselling author Michio Kaku takes an informed, serious, and often surprising look at what our current understanding of the universe's physical laws may permit in the near and distant future.

Entertaining, informative, and imaginative,
Physics of the Impossible
probes the very limits of human ingenuity and scientific possibility."

Books I've read in 2010: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time; Good Omens; The Palace of Dreams; Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World; Lying Awake; The Remains of the Day; Iron & Silk; Lottery; The City of Dreaming Books; Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel; Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back; The Power of Less; Stop Clutter from Stealing Your Life; The Bonesetter's Daughter; Life of Pi; Orphans Preferred: The Twisted Truth and Lasting Legend of the Pony Express; Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide; Waiting for Snow in Havana; The Happiness Project; Ella Minnow Pea: A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable; The Dante Club; Conquering Chronic Disorganization; City of Thieves; Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life; Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen; Dead Until Dark; The Color of Magic; Fernande; Special Topics in Calamity Physics; Medicus

This week I finished:

#44 - You Can't Get There From Here, by Earl Hamner, Jr.

I am currently reading:

#45 - Knockout: Interviews With Doctors Who are Curing Cancer and How to Prevent Getting it in the First Place, by Suzanne Somers. This book of primarily interviews with doctors using mostly alternative treatments and including personal testimonies given by their patients is eye-opening, shocking, informative, and maddening. As the mother of a two-time cancer survivor, I have been appalled and angered by what I've read, but also encouraged. The particular type of cancer ds battled is not mentioned much but I still have picked up some good information and definitely enough to spur me on to finding more.

I’m curious. How much time do each of you spend reading each day? I love to read, but don’t think I could find the time to read one book per week.

Any reading is better than none!

I mightl read a bit after the kids go to bed. Sometimes I'll read during the day. Ds (18months) wakes up really grumpy after his naps and I have to sit on the couch with him for ages and ages. Part one of that is him mauling me. When he settles down, we move to part two. Then he just wants me to sit there with body contact, and doesn't mind if I read over the top of his head. Sometimes I read while I'm cooking, if it is something that needs stirring for a while.

Rosie

I’m curious. How much time do each of you spend reading each day? I love to read, but don’t think I could find the time to read one book per week.

Partly depends on the ages of your children!:)

Mine is older, but as Rosie said, I sometimes read while stirring something on the stove. I also read when we are out-and-about and dh stops to pump gas (depending, I can get a couple paragraphs or a couple pages read). If we're dropping by the store for a quick purchase, sometimes dh/ds will go in and I stay in the vehicle and --- guess what? --- I READ! I've been known to read while sitting in line at the drive-through at the bank! I don't watch a lot of tv, but when I do, you will generally find me reading during commercials. I am at a place now where I can take time in the evening to take a break with my trusty book in hand!

If your children are still little, just enjoy them and don't be concerned about reading a book a week for yourself. You'll be doing quite a bit of reading with your children! Children's books of course, but your children will grow up so fast! Then you'll have all the time you want to read - and you'll miss this time when you didn't have the time to read for yourself because you were spending it with your precious children.:)

The Blind Contessa's New Machine

This looks really good, Stacia.

I've just started The Lost Symbol. Really love Dan Brown.

cover_the_lost_symbol.jpg

Finished re-reading, this time while taking extensive notes - 456 Most Powerful Healing Secrets - an absolutely brilliant book.

456whl_bookcover.jpg

Also reading, but not really loving - The Power of Positive Thinking - I much, much prefer his day book - Positive Thinking Every Day.

Also re-reading, and this time taking lots and lots of notes - the absolutely wonderful book - The Anti Cancer Book. I love this book - it's full of hope and full of credible info.

anticancer_book.jpg

Partly depends on the ages of your children!:)

If your children are still little, just enjoy them and don't be concerned about reading a book a week for yourself. You'll be doing quite a bit of reading with your children! Children's books of course, but your children will grow up so fast! Then you'll have all the time you want to read - and you'll miss this time when you didn't have the time to read for yourself because you were spending it with your precious children.:)

I agree that the age of your child/children makes a big difference. Last year was the first time in many years that I was able to spend a certain amount of time reading for myself.

Sometimes, I'll sit down w/ a cup of coffee & read for about 15 minutes (esp. great right after lunch on the weekends or after dinner). Traffic is a good time to read (esp. at long stoplights). If I'm going to be waiting in line, I try to have a book w/ me. Sometimes, when the dc are doing independent schoolwork, I'll read. (Then I'm sitting there available to help them & oversee, but I can also keep myself occupied.) Also, I'm looking forward to the fact that an outside class that my dd is starting up later this week. I use the time she's in class to go to a park or Starbucks & read. (That usually gives me 1-2 hours of reading time.) I also tend to read instead of watching tv.

I really don't know how much I read in a day as it really varies. But, on average, I'd say I squeeze in 15-60 minutes a day, most days.

If all else fails, lock yourself in the bathroom w/ a book for 10 minutes. If you do that twice a day, you'll get 20 minutes a day right there! :D

I can remember when my kids were younger that my lunch time was almost sacred "mommy time", that if I had food AND a book in front of me, they were NOT allowed to bother me.

I loved reading aloud to my kids, too. I wouldn't trade all those hours with Harry Potter or Greek Mythology for anything. I wasn't trying for a book a week back then, but if I were, I'd probably count some of the books we read!

Audio books are a terrific way of fitting in more reading time. I listen in the car, sometimes listen while puttering around the house, definitely listen while putting away laundry. I listen before I go to sleep as my iPod dock has a sleep function so it shuts off after 15 or 30 minutes.

List (Links are to my review):

Week 1: Touch Not the Cat - Mary Stewart

Week 2: Classical Education and the Homeschool - Douglas Wilson, Wesley Callihan, Doug Jones

Week 3: Parenting from the Heart - Marilyn Boyer

Week 4: Meet the Austins - Madeleine L'Engle

Week 6: The Moon by Night - L'Engle

Week 6: The Little Book of Christian Character and Morals - Dedrick

Week 7: How Lincoln Learned to Read - Daniel Wolff

Week 8: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Week 10: The Young Unicorns - L'Engle

Week 12: Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics - Liping Ma

Week 12: The Arm of the Starfish - L'Engle

Week 15: Building Her House - Nancy Wilson

Week 16: Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit - Teri Maxwell

Week 17: A Ring of Endless Light - L'Engle

Week 20: Just So Stories - Kipling

Week 20: Wise Words - Peter Leithart

Week 24: Troubling a Star - L'Engle

Week 24: House Like a Lotus - L'Engle

Week 24: The Talisman Ring - Georgette Heyer

Week 24: The Grand Sophy - Heyer

Week 24: The Corinthian - Heyer

Week 24: Arabella - Heyer

Week 25: A Civil Contract - Heyer

Week 25: The Princess and the Goblin -George MacDonald

Week 25: Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters

Week 26: An Acceptable Time - L'Engle

Week 27: The Curse of the Pharaohs - Elizabeth Peters

Week 28-32: April Lady - Heyer; Friday's Child - Heyer; Frederica - Heyer; The Quiet Gentleman - Heyer; Venetia - Heyer; Five Little Peppers and How they Grew (the kids enjoyed this, DH and I found it very dull indeed)

Week 33 - Cousin Kate - Heyer

I just finished A Day of Pleasure - a book I am pre-reading for this school year. My next book falls along the same vein - Around the World in 80 Days. Good literature appeals to all ages! I am also reading Crazy Love by Frances Chan.

I have read many more books than I have had time to review - perhaps when our house is finished & the books are unpacked I'll have time to write more.

I enjoy seeing what everyone else is reading & getting so many ideas!

I finished The Blind Contessa's New Machine early this morning.

I liked it & found it to be a promising glimpse at a new author. I would definitely be interested in future works from Carey Wallace.

Overall, I found it a bittersweet story with romance, exceedingly lovely descriptions, and the barest touches of a mystical realism quality. It's a little book (perhaps more of a novella) & sometimes one is very pleasantly surprised by the enchantments that lie within a small package. There is a slight tinge of melancholy though the tale (at least to me, as a beautiful, young lady loses her sight & has to learn how to cope) & there are also a few bittersweet turns.

The book is apparently loosely based on the invention of the typewriter & I do wish the book had included a note as to how much or how little of the story was based on historical facts/knowledge.

Now I just need to get back to finishing 3 other books that I'm currently reading: My Name is Red, Physics of the Impossible, and Let the Great World Spin.

ETA: I also finished a young adult book yesterday, Children of the Lamp: The Akhenaten Adventure. I did it as a read-aloud w/ the dc. We all enjoyed it & are looking forward to reading the second one in the series.

Edited by Stacia

List (Links are to my review):

Week 1: Touch Not the Cat - Mary Stewart

Week 2: Classical Education and the Homeschool - Douglas Wilson, Wesley Callihan, Doug Jones

Week 3: Parenting from the Heart - Marilyn Boyer

Week 4: Meet the Austins - Madeleine L'Engle

Week 6: The Moon by Night - L'Engle

Week 6: The Little Book of Christian Character and Morals - Dedrick

Week 7: How Lincoln Learned to Read - Daniel Wolff

Week 8: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Week 10: The Young Unicorns - L'Engle

Week 12: Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics - Liping Ma

Week 12: The Arm of the Starfish - L'Engle

Week 15: Building Her House - Nancy Wilson

Week 16: Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit - Teri Maxwell

Week 17: A Ring of Endless Light - L'Engle

Week 20: Just So Stories - Kipling

Week 20: Wise Words - Peter Leithart

Week 24: Troubling a Star - L'Engle

Week 24: House Like a Lotus - L'Engle

Week 24: The Talisman Ring - Georgette Heyer

Week 24: The Grand Sophy - Heyer

Week 24: The Corinthian - Heyer

Week 24: Arabella - Heyer

Week 25: A Civil Contract - Heyer

Week 25: The Princess and the Goblin -George MacDonald

Week 25: Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters

Week 26: An Acceptable Time - L'Engle

Week 27: The Curse of the Pharaohs - Elizabeth Peters

Week 28-32: April Lady - Heyer; Friday's Child - Heyer; Frederica - Heyer; The Quiet Gentleman - Heyer; Venetia - Heyer; Five Little Peppers and How they Grew (the kids enjoyed this, DH and I found it very dull indeed)

Week 33 - Cousin Kate - Heyer

Week 33 - The Mummy Case - Peters