Menu

Dynamic Literacy....swoon!!!!!!!!!!

Halcyon

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We haven't had any reports of problems and have processed lots of orders in the last week. If you would be more comfortable ordering over the phone, call me toll free at 888-696-8597

I didn't get any warning when I ordered on Friday but when I went back to the website to get info for my course description I too received the malware warning. We have McAfee, and it was their website advisor thing that alarmed.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get any warning when I ordered on Friday but when I went back to the website to get info for my course description I too received the malware warning. We have McAfee, and it was their website advisor thing that alarmed.

It would be helpful if you could tell me exactly where you were when you received this message. I use McAfee too....

Me too.

How much do the programs cost?

The regular price is $79.99 for each Teacher/student combo, $82.99 for Foundations Level 1 because it has an extra book. With a 25% discount you're looking at $59.99 + 4.90 shipping. Email me directly for a discount code, as it is probably not proper for me to give it here!

jbailey@dynamicliteracy.com

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
It would be helpful if you could tell me exactly where you were when you received this message. I use McAfee too....

It looks like it happens every time a link leads to a page on https://www.treadstar.com

Here is what the warning says, which indicates that it's treadstar:

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.treadstar.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

It looks like it happens every time a link leads to a page on https://www.treadstar.com

Treadstar is the Dynamic Literacy shopping cart. It may be trying to add a cookie to your machine to facilitate order tracking. I'll check with my web guy. Thanks!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Treadstar is the Dynamic Literacy shopping cart. It may be trying to add a cookie to your machine to facilitate order tracking. I'll check with my web guy. Thanks!

You're welcome:001_smile:

You're welcome:001_smile:

This just in from my web guy:

"A malware script got posted on treadstar.com via an unused (although still resident) and outdated installation of Coppermine. Google picked it up and notified me this morning. The Malware has been removed (along with the installation of Coppermine) and I have submitted a request for review to Google... it should be cleared up in the next few hours."

Thank you all for alerting me so I could alert him! I guess this is a good endorsement of your anti-virus software!

Several of my favorite home schooling resources that I have often visited with Norton as my security have come up recently as malware sites. In fact, the link Julie in CA provided initially in her thread about history curriculum sent me a malware warning.

The idea of this program does look good, but I am thinking that The Phonics Road and Latin Road probably have this covered for us. I was thinking that surely their are programs teaching prefixes and suffixes, how they change meaning, etc. We are learning the spelling rules for them in PR 1 right now, so I would imagine we will get to the meaning in a later level. I am checking.
Yes. Phonics Road has this covered. I should have known. So happy with All In One Language Arts!

• 1 month later...
This looks great. I will keep this in mind when we are ready to do vocabulary. But can this be used as spelling? I am also looking for a spelling program. Ds is burned out with R&S Spelling and Sequential spelling.

J

For combined spelling/vocab, I like Marcia Henry's Words. It is usually cheapest through Pro Ed.

This looks great. I will keep this in mind when we are ready to do vocabulary. But can this be used as spelling? I am also looking for a spelling program. Ds is burned out with R&S Spelling and Sequential spelling.

J

phonics, spelling, suffixes, prefixes, etymology, vocabulary, Latin... Phonics Road

Check these out":) They are recommended by Don Potter and they are free and they are great:)

http://books.google.com/books?id=6QISAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=spelling%20book&lr=#v=onepage&q&f=false

Wow that does look great! Phonics, spelling, etymology, roots, suffixes, prefixes... wow! Edited by Lovedtodeath

• 3 weeks later...
I hope y'all will come back to this thread and give updates and reviews as you start to use this. I'd love to hear how things are going! :bigear:

So far we are still doing prefixes and suffixes....but I love it! I'm so glad we bought it. Next week we get into root words. I can't believe I'm so excited!!! LOL

So far we are still doing prefixes and suffixes....but I love it! I'm so glad we bought it. Next week we get into root words. I can't believe I'm so excited!!! LOL

ANyone else have an update? I really want to buy this, but need to figure out if we have the time to do it!

I looked at the samples just now, and I'm purchasing from DL right away. I have yet to see a program that breaks down words in such a non-intimidating yet challenging way. I only looked at the one sample chapter on "re" (in the Foundations series) and was impressed with "re" being defined not only as "again" (like all other books do) but also "against" ("react") and "back" (recall). Where in the heck else can you find that sophisticated an analysis for little kids? In such a pleasant and approachable (and hopefully fun) format. We're sold. In fact, I can't wait to work through Foundations myself in order to get over being a word-root-challenged person.

Pei

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I am supposed to do this but I have this for sale on the sale board. It is Elements level 1 with the game cd and two workbooks.

I loved the program but I am doing Phonics Road and this stuff is going to be covered in that shortly. I loved it so much (DL), I just thought I would do both and "review" and then I realized how ridiculous that was and that I don't have time to do things twice~!

• 4 weeks later...
bumping to find out how it's going for people.

Speaking of prices, the biggest chunk is the teacher's manual (it looks like the two student books are sold in one group, or them+TM for quite a bit more). I don't see where one can buy the TM all by itself.

Does one really need the teacher's manual? Especially at the beginning? It says something about tests (don't need), answer keys (doubt I need, my vocab and roots are very good), and how to teach to groups and individuals. I looked at the samples of the first book of Foundations, and I just can't see needing advice on how to teach it. I will have no problem pronouncing or finding an example sentence for these words.....

Anyone have a comment??

Speaking of prices, the biggest chunk is the teacher's manual (it looks like the two student books are sold in one group, or them+TM for quite a bit more). I don't see where one can buy the TM all by itself.

Does one really need the teacher's manual? Especially at the beginning? It says something about tests (don't need), answer keys (doubt I need, my vocab and roots are very good), and how to teach to groups and individuals. I looked at the samples of the first book of Foundations, and I just can't see needing advice on how to teach it. I will have no problem pronouncing or finding an example sentence for these words.....

Anyone have a comment??

:bigear:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Anyone have a comment??

I don't have the foundations books so I don't know about them but I wouldn't want to do the elements books without the teacher manual. I looked on their website and they sell the teacher manuals separately on the teacher site so maybe if you called they would sell them separately for homeschool families? I've been very happy so far but haven't used it for that long.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

I don't have the foundations books so I don't know about them but I wouldn't want to do the foundations books without the teacher manual.

Is this sentence supposed to say something else? Do you mean the other set of books? Why wouldn't you want to do it without the teacher's manual?

Thanks

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Is this sentence supposed to say something else? Do you mean the other set of books? Why wouldn't you want to do it without the teacher's manual?

Thanks

Oops! It's supposed to say: I don't have the foundations books (first set) so I don't know about them but I wouldn't want to do the elements books (second set) without the teacher manual. I wouldn't want to use them without the teacher manual because there is a lot in the teacher manual.

I'll go fix my other post.

I've been poking around and found this handy reference site:

http://www.southampton.liunet.edu/academic/pau/course/webesl.htm

Since it is possible to get the TM without the workbooks, I think I'll try the beginning workbooks and see if I can wing it.I loved this stuff as a kid, and my son seems to cotton to it as well.

so you're going to get the TM, or the workbooks? How much is the TM? Gotta go look! Trying to get the house clean as my father took the boys for 3 hours; i've been on a mad binge to "simplify" their room a la Simplicity Parenting b4 they return neo.gif

so you're going to get the TM, or the workbooks? How much is the TM? Gotta go look! Trying to get the house clean as my father took the boys for 3 hours; i've been on a mad binge to "simplify" their room a la Simplicity Parenting b4 they return neo.gif

I'm getting Foundations Level 1 workbook, not the TM. It was 24 bucks-ish with shipping and the DHS1004 discount. The whole package, with the TM is 82 bucks before shipping.

I have to clean everything because my hubby will have meltdown when he gets home from the gym: he has spent weeks contemplating and researching squirrel-proof feeders (I like the squirrels). In a POURING rain, he installed his new baby on a slippery metal pole just before going to the gym. And in the pouring rain, there is a line of sparrows on the fence, looking hungry and wet, and two obese squirrels hanging of the feeder's roof by their toenails, stuffing their faces. :lol:

I'm getting Foundations Level 1 workbook, not the TM. It was 24 bucks-ish with shipping and the DHS1004 discount. The whole package, with the TM is 82 bucks before shipping.

I have to clean everything because my hubby will have meltdown when he gets home from the gym: he has spent weeks contemplating and researching squirrel-proof feeders (I like the squirrels). In a POURING rain, he installed his new baby on a slippery metal pole just before going to the gym. And in the pouring rain, there is a line of sparrows on the fence, looking hungry and wet, and two obese squirrels hanging of the feeder's roof by their toenails, stuffing their faces. :lol:

JC-hysterical.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I loved the idea of this series. A while ago I ordered the one from the next level up (Elements?) and it was the wrong level for dd10 - too hard, or too tedious. or something. She hated it. My fault. It has the meanings of prefixes, suffixes and root words printed on the inside covers, which is great. The exercises have you making words by putting them together, but you have to figure out the meanings of the new words for yourself, by looking them up in the dictionary. I cannot say that the meanings of the new words were entirely obvious merely from the combination of root and prefix/suffix. Naturally dd10 was not a fan of the dictionary aspect.

Instead we're using Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop and we like that much, much better. The organization makes more sense to me - each unit starts out with a reading section, so one can see the words in context. You get a flavor for the word. Then they give the definitions with example sentences, and the rest of the exercises proceed from there.

I do like the focus on prefixes and suffixes in the Dynamic Literacy workbook; maybe we'll use it in another couple years, or over some summer. It looks/feels a lot drier than VW.

• 1 month later...
Thank you so much Pris, I am still looking at these. As I am looking through these it appears that Hyde's Derivation of Words has the most to offer in the form of assignments for the student. If you are quite familiar with these, would you agree?

How is it working so far? I read that some of you bought only the student book and not the TM. I am one who hates TMs of any kind, except AAS TMs because I only use the TM and nothing else.

Please let me know if it works without TM. It seems much cheaper to have only the student book.