Menu

Budget?

mamawaabangi

What do you think is a reasonable amount to spend on one student for one year? Say a 1st or 2nd grader?

My research...

History/Lit./Bible... $300 (curr.) + $300 (books)

Math... $90

Grammar/Spelling... $70

Other Misc... $50

Total= $800+

This seems like alot...

I know much of it will be used again, but how can you cut costs???

Or is this just part of the "package" of homeschooling?

For me that would be more than my budget would allow me to spend for one student. I have 2 I am buying for this year and I have spent a little less than $500 for both by shopping our used book store, retail sales and coupons, used book fairs and online resale boards. I made my decisions in early May and started buying then. I have been able to find all but our science curriculum by being patient and doing some leg work. I could have purchased the science at a significant savings several times if I was willing to use the older version but I only want the newest edition which just came out. Bought new, the same curriculum would have been around $800. I am not buying any readers or story books unless I find something that is a *fabulous* deal and I think we will use it several times. I am relying on our library for most of those instead. Even if the library doesn't have the exact titles suggested in the history guide, I am fine with choosing something else on the same topic. I also have looked at a few things that I thought might be a very good fit for one or the other of my children, but if they were too expensive, I decided to do something else instead that was a similar approach but less $$. I don't see the need to buy the most expensive thing out there if something less-expensive is working.

Since we are sharing history and science between my two, that would mean that the cost would be more than half the total if I was only schooling one. Since we only started homeschooling last year, I don't have much on the list that is a previous purchase either.

I made an Excel spreadsheet and put all my curriculum choices on it with the MSRP and the best online or sale price I knew of. I printed it and kept it in my purse, which helped when I was shopping used sales and such. I could check out my list and see if it was worth buying used. If it wasn't a significant savings over the best new price, I didn't buy. I also was able to only buy used that was in like-new condition. I am picky that way.

If you budget allows and that is the curriculum that works for your child, I am not going to say that it is too much to spend. Also, I have spent a lot in time that others may be willing to save by paying a higher monetary price. You asked how to cut costs so I am sharing how I do it.

BTW, before we started homeschooling this past year, DS was in a private Christian school. Every time DH mentions how much I have spent on school, I remind him is is a mere fraction of what was spent on tuition before.

Edited by fhjmom

For 1st or 2nd I spent more like $100/kid even for my first.

We do lots of library books, even the small town libraries have things that are good enough for those ages. We also buy used as much as possible and pick curriculums that are cheap. I also have two close together so they share many subjects.

I think it is funny you don't have my highest exspese up there- Science ;).

I am not by any means a wealthy person, but even so, $800 per year still does not sound over the top to me. Our family spends roughly between $1000-1200 per year on our one hs student, but she is older and it varies depending on whether or not I am able to find used books or even mooch books in advance to save us money. Whatever the case, we feel that it is a worthy investment and want to give our dd the best education we can possibly provide. We have found curriculum choices that work very well for our child, so it has become a priority to make sure she has what is needed. If I had to cut back on something else, I would do it for the sake of getting my dd's books for her.

In our case, I turn around and sell many of the books and recoup some of what we spend each year, then I put the money back into new books for the upcoming school year. You may have younger children that will use the books again though, and in that case it is even better because you will get double (or more) duty from the text and resource books. Every family is different, and there are a number of ways to cut costs down to make it all work.

Yes, I agree with the other poster who stated that compared to the cost of a private education, these amounts are more than reasonable. I believe you are going to get a number of varied responses on this board in answer to the question you've posed. Some will strongly agree and others disagree. You and only you can decide whether or not this amount is right for your income and for what your child needs. It just all depends on your personal priorities and what you can possibly afford. I'd say just choose the curriculum that you feel will provide the best education for your child and give it a go.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I think it is a lot for a 1st or 2nd grader. However, we don't use a packaged curriculum, so 300+300 seems like a lot. Obviously there are different approaches to homeschooling and if you *want* to use a package the initial 300 sounds about right. I would try to find used books and NOT spend 300 for new books at that level. Buy the one you love and will use over and over, get the rest from the library.

We used Abeka for that grade level (1st two years of homeschooling). We spent about 200 each on those years. If I had to do it over I would have bought a few workbooks, read snuggled on the couch more, done nature study, watched some great nature DVDs, read the bible together, watched Liberty's kids, and read SOTW. Period. I tried to recreate school and home and missed some of the joy of discovery of that age.

Do I think 800 is unreasonable for one child? No. We spend 700-1000 per year, but that is at the middle school level. That includes two foreign languages, logic, and other subjects not needed in the early grades.

Bottom line: If you want to go the route of a packaged curriculum the prices doesn't sound out of line, but you don't HAVE to do that at that age.

I use a spreadsheet and enter in all of what we are planning and the sale price on the cheapest place to buy it. Then I watch the for sale boards and ebay to see if I can get them cheaper. My spreadsheet auto tallies so if I find something I mark it off and it adjusts the budget from there. I have mine planned up to fourth as I have a DSD going into 3rd right now. When we buy text books that have workbooks for them though we buy enough copies for the youngers to use when they are old enough. Even buying multiple workbooks we are at about 1200 per year and that covers everything for 3 kids for that grade level. (it also covers our museum membership. )

When I first read your post I thought $800 was a lot of first or second grade. Then I realized I had absolutely no idea how much I had spent on curriculum. :tongue_smilie: So, I decided to add it up. Some of this I've been using for the past year doing a casual kindergarten. This coming year we are doing a mix of K and 1st grade, and PreK for my youngest. The only thing I bought special for her though is the Get Ready, Get Set and Go for the Code. She wants a book just like her brother. She already knows her letter sounds (thank you Leapfrog) but isn't ready for blending. This is only stuff that was bought for school. We have all the Leapfrog videos and a ton of books but many of them we would have gotten anyway and a lot I swapped or bought used.

So....

Reading: $91.20

(ETC 1&2, Get Ready...., and AAS - I use Progressive Phonics and Hubbards Cupboard, both free, for readers)

Math: $50.00

(MEP - free, RS Abacus and Activity book and a Time/Money workbook from BJ's)

History: $127.83

(SOTW, SOTW AG & pdf student pages, Usborne Encyclopedia of World History, DK Prehistoric Life, Children Just Like Me, Evan Moor Beginning Geography)

Science: $76.98

(BFSU, Evan Moor Giant Science Resource Book, Evan Moor Science Experiments for Young Learners).

Science doesn't include materials for experiments and I'm probably going to be buying RSO Life and Earth/Space so that will bring my total there up to $154.96 not counting materials.

So, my total is $423.99 not counting books (although I get a lot at the library) and craft/experiment supplies. This does include what we used last year and will probably cover us for the next 2-3 years though. So, I guess I do see $800 as a lot, but I can also see how you can get there easily enough.

Now to burn the paper I used to figure this out before DH sees it. :D

I don't really keep close tabs on how much I spend but it's around $1000 per year for kid #1. For kid #2 it's about $50. I just have to replace the consumables like math books, etc. If I were on a tight budget I would use the library more often.

It's certainly far more than you need to spend. I've spent more than that for this coming year (call it a mixture of K and 1), but that's because I wanted to, not because I felt I needed to. Here are my approximate costs:

Handwriting: $17

Reading/Phonics: $30

Math: $75

Geography/Social Studies (we're not doing history this year): $50, will probably spend another $25

Science: $550

German: $100

PE: $500

Health: $25 (a science kit about germs)

Art: $50

Music: $0

So that's a total of almost $1500, but much of it was entirely optional. For example, in the "Science" category, we decided to do Lego robotics, which is super-expensive, and caused us to decide to buy a netbook computer as well. AND I bought a much more expensive rocks and minerals kit than was at all necessary. If I'd had a more limited budget, I would have done science for free.

The PE category is a swimming pool membership for the whole family, because we wouldn't have bought it if we weren't homeschooling. But if I had a more limited budget, I wouldn't do this!

Even if I'd been doing History this year, I wouldn't have spent more than $100 on books and curriculum for it.

We make extensive use of the library, used book sales, etc.

It seems to me that the biggest expense in your budget is an expensive curriculum for history/literature. You might find it helpful to look at the suggestions in The Well-Trained Mind for that -- their suggestions are much less costly.

Edited by skueppers
Correcting a typo

I'm not "normal" by any means, but here's what I spent for my 1st grader:

Math: $20 for Math Mammoth + $45 for RightStart Math Games

Geography: $20

History: $3 for the spine, all else is coming from the library

Science: maybe $5? Garage sale finds, mostly - other books from the library

Language: $20 for Evan Moor Daily Language Review (got 2nd grade free too!)

Reading: $25 for two sets of Now I'm Reading. Another $5 for garage sale finds. The library is free.

Extras: $30 at used curriculum fair for read-alouds, history encyclopedia, cuisinaire rods, geo boards & more.

So I have spent about $150 for the year. I don't buy books until they've become favorites after a library check-out, I am blessed to have other homeschool families around who gift things to me, and I hit a lot of sales with another homeschool mom. Evan Moor is the only thing I buy at full price, and I got two years of Daily Language for the price of one last week.

What do you think is a reasonable amount to spend on one student for one year? Say a 1st or 2nd grader?

My research...

Math... $90

Grammar/Spelling... $70

Other Misc... $50

Total= $800+

This seems like alot...

All the extra expense is in the top row.

I might balk at a $90 math program too, but whatever makes you comfortable there is important. That is a skill subject and I've never regretted time and/or money spent on those.

No way is it necessary to spend $600 on history and Bible for a 6/7 year old. Get a good story Bible and use the library for the rest (Even a small library should at least cut that total in half.). Look into free audiobook downloads from librivox as well.

If we're talking just books (novels, workbooks, reference books) and supplies (pens, pencils, notebooks, art stuff) I spend no more than about $200 per kid. Of course when I homeschool, everything counts, so you can add a few thousand to that with field trips, homeschool group classes, sports, and clubs. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, except for the $120 math program that grandma bought...

It depends on the approach being used.

If you are fortunate enough to have kids who learn well from workbooks, then you can do it much cheaper. My kids are hands on learners, so here that figure wouldn't be surprising. I spend more that than per year total (not per child).

Though the good side of the hands on stuff it is can be re-used, so the cost goes down dramatically for each additional child.

Heather

For me, if I was starting afresh with a typical 1st grader:

History/Reading: SL Core 1 (HX, Reading, Read Aloud): $300-$400 (some new/some used. . . Less if you can find it all used.)

Phonics: $70-$100 ish (ETC, 100 EZL, Bob Books, Pathway Readers)

Handwriting: $15 (ZB)

Spelling: $15 (SWO)

Math: $100 (Miquon and Singapore. . . Next year will be much less when you don't have the start up costs with Singapore and manipulatives. Maybe $40 in Gr 2.)

Science: $100 (Elemental Science). . . could do for less if you used library books

That'd take care of the essentials, IMHO. Of course, I think it is really nice to have a few hundred extra to play with for more reading books, science books, manipulatives, etc. If your home is already well stocked with those kinds of things, then you won't need to spend so much this year.

FWIW, last year I think I spent more like $200-$300 total for my 1st grader, even though she had some new curriculum that I'd never used before and I freely spent on stuff for her since my overall costs for her are so low since I can hand down so many things. Her math costs were just $20/yr or so for elementary math b/c all I have to do is buy new workbooks for Singapore and Miquon. . . etc.

If you plan on re-using or re-selling carefully, and especially if you buy some things used, your total costs can be MUCH lower, even using top-of-the-line curriculum. For instance, I sold my Core 1 when I was done with it for the same cost I paid for my Core 2 -- We don't consume anything in SL. You can't do that every year, but you can come close if you are both careful and lucky. MCT is almost 100% reusable. . . So, I will get 3 kids' use out of each level and then be able to resell for 50-60% of my initial NEW cost. If you buy used (and buy things that are popular enough to hold their value), there are many programs which you can essentially use for a year for not much more than shipping costs.

Realistically, I probably spend about $600/yr per child on curriculum (including literature) on average over the years -- but I am a curriculum junkie and don't choose programs based on cost at all.

As the kids are getting into some more expensive highschool level programs (high school science -- UGH), the costs will go up, but I have more I can now sell as my youngest finishes things. . . So, I hope to keep my total costs closer to that $600/yr level by selling off things as I am done with them. If I bought all new and did not resell, it'd be more like $1000/yr.

I'm not "normal" by any means, but here's what I spent for my 1st grader:

Math: $20 for Math Mammoth + $45 for RightStart Math Games

Geography: $20

History: $3 for the spine, all else is coming from the library

Science: maybe $5? Garage sale finds, mostly - other books from the library

Language: $20 for Evan Moor Daily Language Review (got 2nd grade free too!)

Reading: $25 for two sets of Now I'm Reading. Another $5 for garage sale finds. The library is free.

Extras: $30 at used curriculum fair for read-alouds, history encyclopedia, cuisinaire rods, geo boards & more.

So I have spent about $150 for the year. I don't buy books until they've become favorites after a library check-out, I am blessed to have other homeschool families around who gift things to me, and I hit a lot of sales with another homeschool mom. Evan Moor is the only thing I buy at full price, and I got two years of Daily Language for the price of one last week.

This sounds like my budget :) I'm trying to stay under $200 total for everything, except the co op classes. If I can figure those in the $200 that would be great. It's our first year, so I didn't realize how much things could cost and I feel unprepared at looking last minute at curriculum. Some one mentioned reading TWTM, which I'm doing now, and there are very reasonable curriculum I think in there-especially if you look around to purchase at sale or resale cost. I prob won't by many "reader" books, because we have an excellent library system. I had looked at "package" curriculum at first and I feel they are much more costly than picking things up individual. I guess I'll know by next year how much I've spent. I'm a sucker for seeing "school" stuff on clearance and buying it. For supplies, I'm taking advantage of the tax free days this year and stocking up what I can.

This year will be one of my $$$ years. I'm estimating between what I have spent and what I'm waiting on money for, I'll spend about $1000. But that includes the special phonics program to help my ds10 because he is dyslexic and his software recognition program because he is also dysgraphic and I really need the convenience of not being his scribe, about 2/3 of the money is just for those two items. I have ds12 (7th grade), ds10 (5th grade), dd6 (1st grade) and ds4 (prek-but I'm not buying him anything:lol:)

My research...

What are you using?

Try to buy everything used that you can (look on here!)

I have yet to see a Bible curriculum that is better than reading God's Word with your child, discussing, praying, singing, memorizing scripture, maybe coloring a paper printed on your printer...

Literature - use a LIBRARY! :)

Math... $90

Grammar/Spelling... $70

Other Misc... $50

Total= $800+

This seems like alot...

imo, it IS a lot. Many on here will attest to switching curricula many times - I would HATE for you to spend all that $$ just to switch next year (or in a couple of years even). I'm telling you - USED and the library are the way to go!

Oh, and if you care (b/c I see that others have done this), I have spent about $15 on MEP, got SWO, FLL and CHOW used. I think I spent a total of $65? on 1st grade. Also, FLL and CHOW are not consumable so nothing to buy for the next one, or the one after... :)

Edited by kmacnchs

This sounds like my budget :) I'm trying to stay under $200 total for everything, except the co op classes. If I can figure those in the $200 that would be great. It's our first year, so I didn't realize how much things could cost and I feel unprepared at looking last minute at curriculum. Some one mentioned reading TWTM, which I'm doing now, and there are very reasonable curriculum I think in there-especially if you look around to purchase at sale or resale cost. I prob won't by many "reader" books, because we have an excellent library system. I had looked at "package" curriculum at first and I feel they are much more costly than picking things up individual. I guess I'll know by next year how much I've spent. I'm a sucker for seeing "school" stuff on clearance and buying it. For supplies, I'm taking advantage of the tax free days this year and stocking up what I can.

My best tip for staying under budget is taking only a certain amount of cash (I limit myself to $40 for used curriculum sales, $5 for garage sales), and only buy what you *know* you will use. I'm on a teeny budget, which means I'm on a first-name basis with my librarians. :D I did stock up on a lot of school supplies last year, which means I still have 24 pencils and two have been sharpened. :tongue_smilie:

If it's your first year, I'd encourage you to just spend time getting to know your child's learning style, getting your hands on any free downloads or library copies of curriculum (so you can try before you buy), and think about planning your own. TWTM has great suggestions for piecing together your own curriculum - I used a lot of the tips from there this year for science & history. I also started planning for this upcoming year back in May, so I had a lot of time & patience for garage sales. It is possible on a small budget! ;)

I don't worry so much about our homeschool budget.

1.) Never in our wildest imagination did we ever think we would be homeschooling. We were firmly set on a private school. But after visiting a dozen private schools in our area, DH and I looked at each other and said, "Hm. What could we personally do for DS's education if we spent that $800 a month (cost of tuition) directly on him?"

Now, we never do spend that amount, obviously, but - we do look at homeschooling as a bargain over the cost of private schools.

2.) DS wants to be a musician or scientist when he grows up. Music lessons are expensive, no matter how you do it. Science curriculum, kits, microscopes, etc. are expensive. But we get a lot of family enjoyment out of music and studying science. That is more important, in my opinion, than the cost.

If the money just isn't available, you can certainly home school for less. But if you can swing it, I think money spent on books is an excellent investment. The largest part of our home school budget is spent on real books, mostly for history. I use a less expensive base program (Biblioplan, about $30 per year and now I own all four years so no cost for our second cycle through) but still probably average about $500 a year on books. But we have an excellent home library that my kids turn to over and over. Books are not just read once around here. Our style of teaching and learning is based on reading (as opposed to workbooks or hands-on) and though we used our public library a lot, I really like having good books on a variety of topics available all of the time in our home.