Menu

Ideas for fending off the munchies after exercise?

I've been getting lots more exercise lately. And as usual, when my activity level goes up, so does my hunger...like exponentially. I have quite a bit of weight to loose, so this isn't a good thing.

Anyway, do you have any tips for fending off the ravenous hunger?:lol: Does it get better?

I get plenty of protein. I'm trying to cut back some of the carb/sugars I eat. My typical breakfast is a cup of tea (no sugar) and a bowl of oatmeal with craisins. I plan to switch back to homemade oatmeal, so I know that will help some (I got lazy). My lunch is usually either a salad with a small amount of meat or egg, or a avocado and onion quesadilla or something similar. Snacks are fruit, or occasionally crackers. Dinner usually involves meat, veggies and a carb. I like nuts, and eat them occasionally, but usually end up eating too many.

Your breakfast seems awfully light on protein. That would have me snacking within an hour ;). I have eggs every morning for that reason. However, there are some lower fat breakfast sausage things.

Also, snacking is healthy for your metabolism, provided that you are careful on what you use for snacks.

For snack, what about carrots/celery/cucumbers/peppers and hummus or a low-fat dip, healthy crackers and low-fat cheese ( I love wasa crackers with low fat cream cheese and a small amount of pepper jelly:).) An apple with a tsp of peanut butter. Sometimes I snack on a bowl of high protein, low sugar cereal and fat-free milk. I have to be careful with that because cereal is one of my trigger foods.

When I am being good, before I reach for a snack, I make sure I have a glass of water. This week my project has been to eat only Weight Watchers filling foods at snack time:). (That is filling foods by WW definition, not WW brand prepared foods. - I don't do much of those.)

I keep meaning to boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge for breakfast....guess I'd better get on that! lol. Maybe some grilled chicken or something too. I'm not big on sausages, etc. for breakfast. I could live off of cold cereal every day of my life...but I know it's not that good for me so I'm trying to lay off it.

I keep meaning to boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge for breakfast....guess I'd better get on that! lol. Maybe some grilled chicken or something too. I'm not big on sausages, etc. for breakfast. I could live off of cold cereal every day of my life...but I know it's not that good for me so I'm trying to lay off it.

The Kashi cereals aren't bad for you. Neither is oatmeal (as long as you don't load it up with brown sugar etc.).

i'm glad you said this. Everyone I know says they aren't hungry after they excerchise, but I'm often hungry. I think one thing I am going to do is drink 8oz. of water first, because I'm wondering if I'm mixing up thirst with hunger. Then maybe, since the other ladies say its ok I'll eat a healthy something or other.

It sounds like to you need to eat more frequently, as well as eat foods with more staying power. Protein is good, and you could probably stand to add some good fats as well to work in tandem with the protein. Also, high-fiber carbs earlier in the day will give you more energy. DH is doing a heavy-cardio workout program--Insanity by Beachbody--and the nutrition plan that comes with it calls for 5 small meals a day. The meals vary, but are supposed to be around 40% protein, 40% carb, and 20% fat

Example of what I sent in DH's lunch today:

Meal 1 (breakfast)--3 Hardboiled eggs (no yolks), melba toast, string cheese, and watermelon

Meal 2 (mid-morning)--1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1 small diced apple, 1 t. honey, and 2 T Grape Nuts (supposed to be nuts but DH is allergic)

Meal 3 (lunch)--Grilled chicken/lettuce/tomato/2 t ranch dressing on whole wheat tortilla (supposed to have avocado but we were out, so to add a small block of calories & fat I subbed one piece of turkey bacon; maybe not the best sub but it's what we had)

Meal 4 (afternoon snack)--Kashi crackers, deli turkey, cheddar cheese, tomato, grapes

He will eat meal 5 at home--whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce and turkey meatballs, salad

It has worked so far--he's lost almost 20 lbs. He doesn't always follow the meal plan because of his work schedule. When he doesn't, he ends up eating larger meals less frequently and usually feels yucky after. On top of the meal plan, if he gets hungry after a workout, he'll have a small protein shake or one of the program's 100 or 200 calorie food choices. His favorite is nonfat pudding, but it has lots of other choices like cottage cheese, fruit, English muffin w/ tomato and cheese, small sandwich, small bowl of high-fiber cereal, etc. Being ravenously hungry is a sign that your body is in burning mode--so feed it (just feed it right)!

The Kashi cereals aren't bad for you. Neither is oatmeal (as long as you don't load it up with brown sugar etc.).

Just be aware that not all Kashis are created equal. The GoLean Crunch varieties have less protein and fiber and more fat and sugar per serving than plain GoLean. I only know b/c DH really likes the Crunch kinds but his nutrition plan specifically calls for the plain kind. He was mildly disappointed but got over it as he's kept dropping weight. :)

I have not read any other replies, and you may think I am crazy, but hear me out.

Have a LARGE breakfast. Eggs, turkey sausage, whole grain toast. Have a large lunch. Baked chicken, a veggie and a carb. Have a little dinner, a sandwich, a salad with a little meat, or some kinda protein.

Your body's food needs are greater early in the day and much less in the evening (when most tend to have their large meal) I have switched our family over to eating like this and I am starting to see a difference already! This will take some getting used to! I just joined a gym and I am excited to see what happens!

It is easier to do than it sounds. Get your meat out the night before to thaw if its frozen. Put it in either a crock pot or on a slow roast in the over and it does not take alot of prep time. Your carb and veggie (or salad) shouldnt take much more time than your regular lunch usually would and your meat will be done. It works awesome!

It sounds like to you need to eat more frequently, as well as eat foods with more staying power. Protein is good, and you could probably stand to add some good fats as well to work in tandem with the protein. Also, high-fiber carbs earlier in the day will give you more energy. DH is doing a heavy-cardio workout program--Insanity by Beachbody--and the nutrition plan that comes with it calls for 5 small meals a day. The meals vary, but are supposed to be around 40% protein, 40% carb, and 20% fat

Example of what I sent in DH's lunch today:

Meal 1 (breakfast)--3 Hardboiled eggs (no yolks), melba toast, string cheese, and watermelon

Meal 2 (mid-morning)--1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1 small diced apple, 1 t. honey, and 2 T Grape Nuts (supposed to be nuts but DH is allergic)

Meal 3 (lunch)--Grilled chicken/lettuce/tomato/2 t ranch dressing on whole wheat tortilla (supposed to have avocado but we were out, so to add a small block of calories & fat I subbed one piece of turkey bacon; maybe not the best sub but it's what we had)

Meal 4 (afternoon snack)--Kashi crackers, deli turkey, cheddar cheese, tomato, grapes

He will eat meal 5 at home--whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce and turkey meatballs, salad

It has worked so far--he's lost almost 20 lbs. He doesn't always follow the meal plan because of his work schedule. When he doesn't, he ends up eating larger meals less frequently and usually feels yucky after. On top of the meal plan, if he gets hungry after a workout, he'll have a small protein shake or one of the program's 100 or 200 calorie food choices. His favorite is nonfat pudding, but it has lots of other choices like cottage cheese, fruit, English muffin w/ tomato and cheese, small sandwich, small bowl of high-fiber cereal, etc. Being ravenously hungry is a sign that your body is in burning mode--so feed it (just feed it right)!

This is similar to the diet I'm on for people with adrenal problems - 5 small meals - each balanced with protein, fat, a small amount of carbs (this is where I have my problem keeping it small), veggies at every meal including breakfast. I've lost 7 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I'm also exercising - strength training M,W,F and aerobics T, Th, Sat.

As a runner, I have to eat right away after running or my energy level plummets. This is basically the recommendation across the board. Have you tried a glass of milk after exercise? l would also suggest a large glass of water first, before you snack and also with every meal. Make yourself finish a 20 oz glass of water at every meal.

I run mid-morning typically so I don't like to ear beforehand. After my run, I usually have a good-sized sandwich and that tends to hold me for a while.

HTH!

One of the important things to do is to eat protein prior to exercising, and eat a complex carb 30-60 min. after exercising. I know this can be undesirable, because exercise curbs appetite immediately afterward. IBut it gives your body the right kinds of nutrients at the right time.

FYI, The person who outlined 5 smaller meals provided some great menu options. For all of us in the species homo sapiens...this is a healthier way to eat. The three meals a day and no snacks is not the way human bodies are designed to eat. It might be more convenient, but scientifically and nutritionally it is inferior.

This is kind of important. Did you know the brain needs glucose as its fuel? If a steady supply of (non-sugary food-produced) glucose is not available to the brain, the first area that is detrimentally affected is the region that governs self-control. This manifests itself in depression, anxiety, behavior problems, fatigue, etc. etc. etc.

That is why many children who take medication for attention issues could be helped by instead going on a hypoglycemic diet. Scientists estimate about 90-95% of children who have attention issues are actually hypoglycemic. Yikes!

Sounds like you are trying to make healthy changes...great job!