Menu

Three day vacation - where to go?

DH starts a new job mid-August and wants to go on a vacation prior to his start date.

We only have three full days and two partial days. Need to stay within the US, but are open to fly anywhere.

Where should we go? And -- why? (Ie: What should we see/do to make the most of three days!)

Must be child-friendly -- DS is 8 -- loves zoos, aquariums, science stuff. He would love the beach, but then we would never get him away from the beach to go anywhere. :tongue_smilie:

Much as I want to visit DC area, I want to wait until DS is older and we have more time. Otherwise, no real limits. (Oh, and not Omaha. Nothing personal. Just been there twice for family issues already this summer!)

Anyone want to play travel agent for me?!

Thanks in advance!

Here in PA, especially in Lancaster County, you can do a "farm stay" vacation! I'm not sure if that's something that's already part of your lifestyle or if it would be an interesting, educational novelty!

We're actually doing that next weekend :) I did it once before, when my son was just a baby and my daughter was 5 or 6. Now that she's almost 10 and he's almost 5, I thought they'd both get a kick out of going to another one!

http://www.afarmstay.com/

And of course there are the Amish attractions, and Hershey Park isn't so far away, and either is Dutch Wonderland.

DH starts a new job mid-August and wants to go on a vacation prior to his start date.

We only have three full days and two partial days. Need to stay within the US, but are open to fly anywhere.

Where should we go? And -- why? (Ie: What should we see/do to make the most of three days!)

Must be child-friendly -- DS is 8 -- loves zoos, aquariums, science stuff. He would love the beach, but then we would never get him away from the beach to go anywhere. :tongue_smilie:

Much as I want to visit DC area, I want to wait until DS is older and we have more time. Otherwise, no real limits. (Oh, and not Omaha. Nothing personal. Just been there twice for family issues already this summer!)

Anyone want to play travel agent for me?!

Thanks in advance!

Eight years old is an ideal time for Busch Gardens in FL (combo zoo and amusement park). Clearwater or St Pete Beach is not all that far away. Tampa also has an aquarium that is quite nice. Flying into Tampa is easy.

New Orleans is fun! They have the Audubon Aquarium, Insectarium, and Zoo. You can take a boat from the Aquarium to the Zoo on the Mississippi River! There is also a children's science museum within a few blocks of the aquarium. We just spent two days there and the kids had a blast. Our hotel was one block from the Riverwalk and we took a trolley from there through the French Quarter. It was really a great trip.

We just had a really nice three day trip to St. Louis. We did the Gateway Arch, the City Museum and the zoo. There were many other things we wanted to do (Science Center, Magic House, etc.) that we didn't even get to do. The City Museum is an incredible place and our 9yo ds loved it.

The Science Center is amazing. We visited it last fall and had a blast.

I LOVE New Orleans - but I would never spend any time there in August! Way too hot - today in the news they showed streets in New Orleans that had buckled from the heat.... Same for Disneyworld (really hot and crowded....)

Anyway - I would go somewhat north and somewhere not as popular in the summer:D

Although - San Diego has very nice summers. TONS of stuff to do. You could stay busy for weeks (so the only problem would be deciding what to do....) Sea World, Wild Animal Park, San Diego Zoo, beaches, museums, etc.

Another - Rapid City, SD. Yeah, I know - but we lived there for a year and LOVED it! Mount Rushmore, Black Hills National Forest, Custer State Park (amazing), caves, Oh! He would LOVE the Mammoth dig site. They are actually digging huge mammoth fossils out of a site where many fell in and died - so he could watch them dig real fossils. Great museum there....

Well, where haven't you been? I would start there...and ask, what would you like to see?

Btw, I don't think 8 is too young for DC. DC is awesome.

If you are thinking NYC, August is a pretty good time to go. Although the locals clear out quite a bit...but you could probably get matinee tickets to Mary Poppins or the like for a good price. King Tut is also in town.

Edited by LibraryLover

Thank you all so much for the replies and suggestions.

After much thought... We decided on San Diego.

Until we couldn't find any plane tickets. :glare:

So then we decide on Seattle.

Again. No plane tickets.

DS decided at this time that we needed to do "Blind Travel," like in the book "The Voyages of Dr. Doolittle."

So we blindfolded DS, randomly opened the atlas and had him stab at the atlas with a pencil.

Cheyenne.

Awesome. We had actually tossed around that idea.

Alas. No plane tickets there, either!!!

Guess a last minute vacation out of the local airport is not a brilliant idea...

My turn at "Blind Travel."

Wisconsin Dells.

Hm. DS and I were interested, but DH wasn't thrilled. :glare:

The next couple attempts at "Blind Travel" were Omaha area. :lol: So not going there.

At this point we decided St. Louis sounded like a mighty fine location!

I now have my heart set on visiting Seattle and San Diego, after looking at their websites. :001_huh: Maybe next year, if all goes well with the new job.

Thanks again.

DH sprang the last minute vacation on me after an awful summer - just one thing after another... and I was so brain-dead that deciding on a vacation destination was impossible.

It was so much fun looking up the cities suggested!