Menu

How do you "de-grumpify" yourself?

I go do something that I have been putting off for awhile. Like vacuuming under the couch cushions, cleaningthe fridge, decluttering a drawer...

when I wake up grumpy it's usually because I feel like I have no control over my life and gaining back some of that control helps my mood.

Then there's always a cup of hot chai and a few rounds of sudoku.

I am a Christian, which makes me feel horrible about being so grumpy. I don't have much of a reason to be grumpy. I just am.

I'm that way, too. I find it's worse during certain times of the month so, when I'm feeling unreasonably grumpy I check the calendar and, yep! It will pass.

Things that make me feel better are a Starbucks and...well, pretty much, that's it. Coffee. :)

I'm that way, too. I find it's worse during certain times of the month so, when I'm feeling unreasonably grumpy I check the calendar and, yep! It will pass.

Things that make me feel better are a Starbucks and...well, pretty much, that's it. Coffee. :)

The coffee has helped... yep, my calendar is screaming at me right now, too :lol:

I'm glad it's a "cozy" day here -- overcast and drizzly (though not cold). We're hunkering down. I'm letting the girls have at the DVD player and PS3 (very unlike me), and I'm eating a bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter, and having a second TUMBLER of coffee LOL!! It seems to be passing.

I took Dragon Academy's suggestion -- I tidied up our office and started re-arranging a closet. This was truly helpful. Next I'm going to bake a loaf of bread.

That was me this morning. My husband is grumpy because it's raining, and his helpers will be coming back b/c they cannot work. This means he will have to work more this week (more than 20 hours).

I opened my door to peed-on sheets to wash. After starting the wash, I had my husband complaining because he couldn't get to his gmail. I am the constant computer rescuer.

Then, the boys were fighting over their space in the bedroom.

So, now Nathan is in his room, Ben's reading on the couch, and my husband is playing a game on the computer.

And, I have to put up with grumpy people who have nothing to do.

That all makes me grumpy.

I have a "happy" playlist on my iPod for days like these. Lots of upbeat songs that I like to sing along with, worship songs, things like that. Life just feels a lot better when I'm belting out lyrics (maybe not so much for DH, since I don't sing very well :D).

I clean my counters or declutter a chronically cluttered space. After coffee, of course. I'm crabby while decluttering, but as soon as I see the perfect expanse of a clear counter, a nicely arranged bills and letter box, or an alphabetized cabinet of DVDs, my crabbiness evaporates.

If I'm not up to decluttering, I stand in front of the refrigerator and stare at the door. I purposely bought a stainless refrigerator that magnets will not stick to so the door is always uncluttered.

Psychoanalyze that! :D

That was me this morning. My husband is grumpy because it's raining, and his helpers will be coming back b/c they cannot work. This means he will have to work more this week (more than 20 hours).

I opened my door to peed-on sheets to wash. After starting the wash, I had my husband complaining because he couldn't get to his gmail. I am the constant computer rescuer.

Then, the boys were fighting over their space in the bedroom.

So, now Nathan is in his room, Ben's reading on the couch, and my husband is playing a game on the computer.

And, I have to put up with grumpy people who have nothing to do.

That all makes me grumpy.

:grouphug:

I think part of the grumpification of BBB was yesterday's constant diarrhea coming out of LLL (#1 during church - had to leave early to go to Target and buy an outfit :glare:), then DH decided he HAD to go to the last day of the Nordstrom Sale and we HAD to come along :glare: (he didn't want to do the traffic thing twice). I was NOT happy at this point. I think at the end of the day, LLL had been taken to the Nordy's "Ladies Lounge" at least 12 times. But wait, there's more: PDG came down with a migraine because she was so torqued out that SHE didn't get a new outfit at Target (she was just taken clothing shopping on Monday - don't feel sorry for her). She got SO upset that she got a migraine. She barfed in the car on the way home, and then 3 more times at home. Luckily we had a Nordstrom shopping bag she could aim into. I'm not making light of the situation (we're working on some very major jealousy issues in our home right now). Both woke up stomach-issue free, though. Yay.

I haven't woken up grumpy in a while, thankfully.

In the past when I have, I would snap myself out of it by reminding myself that I shouldn't feel grumpy because I have a wonderful life. Then I would think something like "I love the cats, even though they make a mess sometimes. I love the dog even though she sheds and causes me to vacuum more. I love..... " etc. I would also go on to "I'm thankful for..." stuff. Even down to "I'm thankful for the birds that sing beautiful songs". It sounds a bit silly, and sometimes, it wold take longer than others, but it worked for me.

There is lots to be said for the power of positive thinking.

I also tell my kids to not talk to me for a while as I'm grumpy and I might snap at them.... I agree with Imrich.... grumpiness is contagious!!

I have a "happy" playlist on my iPod for days like these. Lots of upbeat songs that I like to sing along with, worship songs, things like that. Life just feels a lot better when I'm belting out lyrics (maybe not so much for DH, since I don't sing very well :D).

As far as I can figure out, I accidentally threw out our iPod during unpacking from our move. :angry: I have a happy mix, too. I could play it on the computer, I suppose...it would seriously compete with the Little Big World music on the PS3, though.

I woke up in a HORRIBLE grumpy funk. Not the blues, just grumpy. How do YOU snap out of it when you wake up this way?
Usually just a bit of a shakeup to morning routine will do it... I might assign the kids a bit of independent work, and I have a few educational videos set aside for these occasions. If I'm majorly grumpy on a weekday and I'm unable to get off by myself for a bit, then I call a no-school day and take the kids it a movie or somewhere they can run around while I read and sip coffee (am) or a pint (pm). Sometimes I luck out and a friend will be in the same boat and we'll play hooky together.

:grouphug:

I think part of the grumpification of BBB was yesterday's constant diarrhea coming out of LLL (#1 during church - had to leave early to go to Target and buy an outfit :glare:), then DH decided he HAD to go to the last day of the Nordstrom Sale and we HAD to come along :glare: (he didn't want to do the traffic thing twice). I was NOT happy at this point. I think at the end of the day, LLL had been taken to the Nordy's "Ladies Lounge" at least 12 times. But wait, there's more: PDG came down with a migraine because she was so torqued out that SHE didn't get a new outfit at Target (she was just taken clothing shopping on Monday - don't feel sorry for her). She got SO upset that she got a migraine. She barfed in the car on the way home, and then 3 more times at home. Luckily we had a Nordstrom shopping bag she could aim into. I'm not making light of the situation (we're working on some very major jealousy issues in our home right now). Both woke up stomach-issue free, though. Yay.

Girl, no wonder you are grumpy. GI issues make me crazy!!

Just checking in before retiring to say that I am officially de-grumpified! Thanks everyone. Great suggestions. I think the combination of stepping back from routine and doing some unusual tasks really helped. Oh, and lots of good coffee, too :) And finally, chocolate chip cookies after dinner.

I haven't read the other responses so forgive me if I'm repeating anything.

I've learnt to take this seriously when it happens to me because of how badly the day goes for the whole family (which I think is very unfair because I should be able to be grumpy if I want to, but there you go :glare:)

For me it has to be a three-pronged attack: strong coffee, a very vigorous walk and praise & worship music on my Ipod while I walk. I drop everything (some days it's not possible) and go. I've also noticed that if I read my Bible & pray early in the morning, it's rare that I'm left grumpy. For some reason this is harder than it should be ...:001_huh:

If I'm grumpy, it's usually because I haven't met my own expectations in some way. So I try to give myself a little pep talk, and talk to dh about it. It is especially helpful if he says something nice to me about the situation.

Let's say the kids aren't getting done what I've asked them to do schoolwise. He might point out what they have done, or tell me how grateful he is to me for continuing to homeschool even though it can be a hassle. He turns a lot of my doubts into affirmations.

Try to be as kind and patient with yourself as possible. We all need to be nice to ourselves if we want to be able to be nice with other people -- like our families.:)

Edited by jld

Maintain an attitude of gratitude. I continually remind myself of all the things I am thankfull for. I usually get pretty happy after that. I try to look at the glass half full and be positive. I pray. I often tell myself, "It's not all about you!" I remind myself that my children will remember what I do and say, and I HATE the idea of creating a bad memory. All these things help me to stay on the other side of grumpy most of the time.

What I am going to suggest is from a Christian pov so I don't want to offend anyone. Take time to find a quiet place to pray and focus on a bible verse. Then take a breath and just focus on the things which are blessings in our lives. Praise God for those things. Listen to some uplifting music. Often when I feel it is because I haven't been starting my day with God. Also those little breath prayers work well.:grouphug:

I go outside, weather permitting. Take a walk, even a short one, even with all of the kids. Clean out the van. Fill the birdfeeders. Toss a football with the kids. You get the idea.

Weather not permitting, I raise all of the blinds, turn on some Beach Boys or something upbeat, make fruity smoothies, and dance my sorrows away.