Menu

What Kind of Handcrafts Do Your Boys Enjoy?

birchbark

I don't know if you have a Lowe's store near you, but they have a woodworking class every two weeks. Kids from 1st to 5th grade can go and build wood trucks, boats, UFOs, bug cages, all kinds of projects. My boys really enjoy building the kits at the store. They also like to paint the projects when they get home. It's all free! They also get an apron, safety glasses, a patch for their apron, and a coupon for a free Wendy's frosty every time they go! Maybe this helps.

Deana

If you asked my son what arts or crafts he liked, he'd say "NONE!" LOL But he really does like doing them if he can try it out in a casual way.

My 11 yo really likes clay. He went to a class a few yrs ago and asks to do more classes all the time. He's only done 3 classes total in 3 yrs but he enjoys it at home too. We don't have all the tools and our clay is never as good as theirs but it's still fun for him.

He also enjoys painting though I admit, I don't get everything set up very often because if one kid does it, they all do and it gets pretty messy :blush:

He's old enough that I do let him use a pocketknife and he does enjoy whittling and carving. I need more information on this for him though because I don't know any "techniques" and he's wanting to do more with it.

Snort... I read this as "What kind of HANDCUFFS do your boys enjoy?" :001_huh:

My boys really enjoy the metal ones that come with a key, but have the little automatic release button so you can't really get stuck... great for playing cops and robbers, etc.

The only handcrafts they like involve pocket knives and sticks.;)

:lol:

My boy is only (almost) 3, so right now, he loves building, dirt, and using his sisters as handicrafts.

A friend of mine has 2 boys and 2 girls. ALL of them enjoy knitting! The boys do wordwork all the time with scraps or projects with dad.

My son watched me knit and crochet for quite a while and really wanted to learn (he had no idea that it's considered a "girl" craft). So i taught him to knit... but i also taught him to knit on a loom which is considerably easier. He's made himself a hat, sleeping bags for some of his stuffed birds and other small projects.

We're going to try to get into building some wood projects soon but as DH and I are not woodworkers.... might not be so easy LOL.

I've seen on Amanda Soule's blog that her older boys like to sew.. and they make all sorts of masculine things :)

Things we'd probably try to see if a DS that age was interested:

woodworking

knitting

crocheting

sprang (a medieval fiber craft)

inkle or card weaving

sewing

leatherworking

cord making (Viking whip-cord, lucet, or Japanese technique)

calligraphy/illumination

anything else that came up at an SCA event w/ classes that the instructor was willing to take a child in the class for...

paper airplanes. i got the klutz book of paper airplanes and he has become quite an expert at folding many different types. he also likes building rockets with his dad, making balloon animals, learning magic tricks (okay, not technically a craft), he has built things with wood, he loves making things with those craft sticks (almost to my misery) and LEGOS.

My boys each did one of those hook rug kits, and one ds did a bit of soap carving. Also, making those keychain holders from plastic lacing strips, either in a pattern or with the beads, like the alligator shape.

My kids all got latch hooks about a month ago, and my 10y/o ds LOVED it.

I simply try to make a variety of things available. We have a wood burner, I knit and crochet, and all the kids have dabbled there. We have massive amounts of art supplies, paints, glues, eyes, papers, pastels, clays, popsicle sticks, you name it. We have books of ideas of crafts and regularly go to the library.

My FIL is an electrician with a knack for finding things, and he brings home tons of junk computers for the kids to take apart, which is great for fine-motor skills, working with tools, etc.

I've spent money on basic supplies, and am constantly amazed at what they will do with it. Couple that with what you can find in your ordinary recycle bin, and they go nuts.

My kids are currently enamored with heavy cardboard tubes that my mom brings them from her work, and duct tape. LOL

ETA: I never knew how many colors/patterns duct tape actually came in until two weeks ago. My 12 y/o FREAKED when he saw "Chrome". LOL

Edited by Mallorie

Origami

Does that count?

Absolutely it counts! I have two boys, 12 and 7, and they both enjoy origami, especially my oldest. I purchased paper online once and we still have quite a supply of it. You can find it quite inexpensively.

Both my boys are scouts and my oldest loves whittling. A mom from our hs group organized a one-time class with a man who does marvelous whittling. He brought large walking sticks for everyone and they had a great time. I think he was from our local metro park...calling one of those in your area may be a place to start, if you're interested.

They also love clay and painting. We have an artist in our area that offers a once-a-month three-hour drawing class that we attend, as well (only $10 each!).

They also are starting to get into rug hooking, too. I purchase kits at Michaels using a 40% off coupon, so they're a bargain. My boys really have to concentrate, but they love it.

I used to teach at a Waldorf school and I had to teach knitting (on the days when they didn't have their handwork class). I haven't done it in a while so teaching it to my boys would be difficult. I intend on taking a class soon and will enjoy feeling comfortable enough to teach them. All the boys in my class enjoyed knitting. There was something about keeping their supplies in baskets and sitting on the floor and quietly talking while knitting. The boys were more quiet than the girls!

Wonderful thread...I'm looking forward to reading more ideas! :bigear:

Pam

My DS is a little younger, but my plans include:

album/scrapbooking--I figure if we call it "albums" instead of scrapbooks, it'll be okay. :lol:

wooden models--I picked up a few cheap ones at Harbor Freight

cooking--I think this is important for boys too!

making knots--while my DD's are learning embroidery

learning how to use tools

quilling

cardmaking--rubber stamps, drawing, embossing, etc.

latch-hooking--I've seen some boyish kits

paper airplanes--there's lots of great youtube videos for this!

learning to play recreational games (checkers--chess for older kids, croquet, etc.)