Menu

I am so areligious - where did these dc come from? - help please

rookie

I teach religion/world view but do not practice religion. However, my dc love to delve in!

Now they want to learn church hymns during our "Learning Together Time" each day. I do not know any church hymns. I can't even sing.

DD suggested I buy a hymn book but I cannot read music so I would not know how to go about it.

Is there something - idiot proof - that I could use for us to sing/learn hymns?

Who knows, they may make a church-goer out of me yet! :tongue_smilie:

cd's from the library?

downloads from itunes?

gospel and christian channels on XM radio?

go on a field trip to a church on Sunday just for the music?

do you have a friend who plays piano and can play the sheet music while your dc sing? or know anyone who sings in a church choir that could come over and sing with them?

There are threads about teaching hymns to children. (and cds programs with written guidance... plus the cd) When you read about Charlotte Mason's Memory System, there are actually great tips on teaching hymns. Since I love hymns, I tend to think that you may be creating young Music/Theology Scholars... :)

There's Cyber Hymnal It's kind of overwhelming, but each hymn has a MIDI file with the music so that would help with singing. You might want to get a hymnal anyway just to narrow down the choices. There are a LOT of hymns on that site!

We've also used the Hymns for a Kid's Heart series listed above & my children have loved them.

Guest Cindie2dds
I teach religion/world view but do not practice religion. However, my dc love to delve in!

Now they want to learn church hymns during our "Learning Together Time" each day. I do not know any church hymns. I can't even sing.

DD suggested I buy a hymn book but I cannot read music so I would not know how to go about it.

That's probably how my mom felt when I told her I was a Catholic at 11. :lol:

This is a really lovely CD, but the way.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=mr+pipes&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1

These books are adventurous stories that tell about various hymn writers. I think they have the words for the hymns but not the music. They are written from reformed theological pov.

You can hear the tunes here http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/h/chridost.htm

My church has a fantastic FREE music website where you can search by name of hymn (or author or subject, etc) and it will play the song for you. Here's A Mighty Fortresss Is Our God as an example. In the top left you can choose if you want music-parts only or just music (accompaniment) or music & words (accompaniment & singing). You can also get just a specific part (soprano, alto. etc.) played for you. There are even tons of songs available in Spanish.

Caveat, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and this site has lots of LDS specific hymns. However, it has even more standard Christian hymns (Onward Christian Soldiers, How Great Thou Art, etc.).

This may or may not be what you need, but it's free!:D

HTH

I don't know how "anti" your "a" is in areligious but if your children are drawn to church/God would you feel comfortable helping them in their own spiritual journey? Most churches are very welcoming to newcomers and would be ok with your coming even if you are not "sold" on the whole God thing. If it would make you feel extremely uncomfortable, maybe they could go with a friend?

Going to church seems like a great way to learn hymns to me!

I don't know how "anti" your "a" is in areligious but if your children are drawn to church/God would you feel comfortable helping them in their own spiritual journey? Most churches are very welcoming to newcomers and would be ok with your coming even if you are not "sold" on the whole God thing. If it would make you feel extremely uncomfortable, maybe they could go with a friend?

Going to church seems like a great way to learn hymns to me!

Oh, I am not anti at all. Just "a." All of the curches in our area are contemporary and do not sing hymns! I have tried that route. I cannot do "worship" music. Sorry, I am anti-contemporary-church-songs.

I was also going to suggest Cyberhymnal. My church is getting rid of the old hymn books; I'd be glad to grab a few and send them to you. How many kids do you have? LOL They're just your basic, garden variety, non-denom hymns.

Let me know and I'll get some Sunday.

Oh, I am not anti at all. Just "a." All of the churches in our area are contemporary and do not sing hymns! I have tried that route. I cannot do "worship" music. Sorry, I am anti-contemporary-church-songs.

Oh! I never thought of that. I am Eastern Orthodox so our music is decidedly un-contemporary. :D It sounds like you have looked into the churches in your area...but, wow! Your area is sure different from mine. :001_smile:

That's probably how my mom felt when I told her I was a Catholic at 11. :lol:

LOL - when I was 10 I *begged* my parents to let me convert to Catholicism because all my friends had to go to catechism after school and I had no one to play with. I secretly went one day and thought the nuns were delightful. Nothing like the horror stories I've heard since.

This is a really lovely CD, but the way.

You can listen to it for free on grooveshark. Just search for "Passion: Hymns Ancient & Modern"

(Listening to it right now. Cindie - you're right. It's really good!).

Love, love, love grooveshark!

I am so right there with you. I detest Church based on some of my previous experiences, but my soon to be 7 DS asked me the other day if we could "sign up for church". I asked him what he meant and he thought it was an extracurricular like soccer that you sign up and do for a while. I found an excellent VBS and the kids loved it, so I guess I am going to look for a home church soon. I refused to sign a faith statement to join a co-op....so this is going to be an adjustment. We live in an area where the choices are basically fundamentalist or nothing.

There's Cyber Hymnal It's kind of overwhelming, but each hymn has a MIDI file with the music so that would help with singing. You might want to get a hymnal anyway just to narrow down the choices. There are a LOT of hymns on that site!

:iagree: I taught myself many of the old hymns listening to those crazy midis. :001_smile:

ETA: my current favorite CD is Selah Hymns, for what it's worth. Some of the hymns are in African languages, too. It's pretty cool. :)

Edited by Susan in KY

If you are looking for a church singing more traditional kind of hyms maybe you can join one of the more conservative groups such as an acapella church-of-Christ, a Christian Church or Disciples of Christ. Some Baptist conservative amongst many...

Good luck and blessing for your entire family...

This thread makes me smile. :)

How lovely that your dc enjoy singing about Jesus. (HE really is addicting, imho). They don't need to know anything formal about Him or come with a body of knowledge to appreciate the beautiful melodies of hymns.

There is something so comforting about praising God in whatever shape or form you take. For some it is reading, some praying, some singing, some enjoying nature, some enjoying art, some serving others, some spending time with a loved one. Or all of the above.

There are no 'rules' for enjoying God. (Thankfully!)

My girls love hymns. I downloaded some free hymns from the Mars Hill channel on iTunes.

Here is our list for the year. It's very natural for us to have hymns on during the day. Latina Angelica is beautiful also.

HYMNODY: (daily listening on iPod)

‘Tis So Sweet

The Apostle’s Creed/We Believe

He Leadeth Me

Come Thou Fount

All Creatures Of Our God And King

How Great Thou Art

Amazing Grace

Be Thou My Vision

There Is A Fountain Filled With Blood

Fairest Lord Jesus

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

Blessed Assurance

The Old Rugged Cross

It Is Well With My Soul

My church has a fantastic FREE music website where you can search by name of hymn (or author or subject, etc) and it will play the song for you. Here's A Mighty Fortresss Is Our God as an example. In the top left you can choose if you want music-parts only or just music (accompaniment) or music & words (accompaniment & singing). You can also get just a specific part (soprano, alto. etc.) played for you. There are even tons of songs available in Spanish.

Caveat, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and this site has lots of LDS specific hymns. However, it has even more standard Christian hymns (Onward Christian Soldiers, How Great Thou Art, etc.).

This may or may not be what you need, but it's free!:D

HTH

That's what I thought of too. Especially since it lets you play just the melody while you're learning and then add in the rest of the accompaniment after you know which notes to sing, and you could also teach the kids the alto part and have them sing harmony. Also, in some modes you can transpose it to a different key so you don't have to hit all the high notes (I'm seriously alto...lol) Plus, it lets you print out sheet music so everyone can have a copy of the words. And the site also includes the children's songbook, which is nice too. And if you look at the front page there's a section of "Learning Materials" where it shows how to lead music and teaches about reading music symbols. That could come in handy for teaching music to kids as part of school too.

But as you say, it's an LDS web site and although much of the music (though not all) would be quite appropriate for any Christian, some people might not feel comfortable using it. :)