Menu

found/dumped dog

I live at the dead end of a beautiful country road. It seems like people drive around looking for a place to dump their dogs, get to our house, see all of our happy dogs, and just let their unwanted ones out here.

We have a cattle dog mix that a neighbor actually SAW being pushed out of a car. We have a Chihuahua that was dumped. They both have "issues".

When a St. Bernard puppy was dumped, we called animal control. They said he would probably be adopted, but I don't know if he was.

Now, a pug puppy has shown up on my doorstep. He was covered in fleas, but I've gotten rid of those. I went door to door. No one is missing him. I took him to see if he is microchipped, but he isn't.

I put a found dog listing on Craigslist. No owner has come forward.

In the meantime, I crate trained him. He is a smart happy little guy. He stays right with us when we do chores and stays and comes and walks right beside us.

The problem is I already have SEVEN dogs.

I tried to give him to my friend who trains detection dogs. She says they will just train him and sell him. Since I was already training him, I should sell him myself.

She said to list him for sale as unpapered for several hundred dollars. Someone will be thrilled with him, and he will have a good home.

Should I really start selling the dogs that are dumped here? Somehow it feels wrong to make a profit off of them.

well, you'll be recouping the costs you put into the animal. Spay & neuter them & adopt them out.

I'd never GIVE a dog to anyone for free. Once they pay some $, they show a bit more commitment and responsibility. Adoption fees here range from 200-400$ but the costs for rescues are much higher after they pay for spay/neuter, deworm, deflea, & the food for the time they're fostered (rescues make up the difference by fundraising or out of the volunteers pockets)

Then there's the ones like my current foster who has racked up more than $6K in vet bills .... any extra you get from the adoption fees on one dog pays for the vet bills for others.

Actually I'm telling you to just start a rescue :D

I live at the dead end of a beautiful country road. It seems like people drive around looking for a place to dump their dogs, get to our house, see all of our happy dogs, and just let their unwanted ones out here.

We have a cattle dog mix that a neighbor actually SAW being pushed out of a car. We have a Chihuahua that was dumped. They both have "issues".

When a St. Bernard puppy was dumped, we called animal control. They said he would probably be adopted, but I don't know if he was.

Now, a pug puppy has shown up on my doorstep. He was covered in fleas, but I've gotten rid of those. I went door to door. No one is missing him. I took him to see if he is microchipped, but he isn't.

I put a found dog listing on Craigslist. No owner has come forward.

In the meantime, I crate trained him. He is a smart happy little guy. He stays right with us when we do chores and stays and comes and walks right beside us.

The problem is I already have SEVEN dogs.

I tried to give him to my friend who trains detection dogs. She says they will just train him and sell him. Since I was already training him, I should sell him myself.

She said to list him for sale as unpapered for several hundred dollars. Someone will be thrilled with him, and he will have a good home.

Should I really start selling the dogs that are dumped here? Somehow it feels wrong to make a profit off of them.

Are you near Iowa? I'd take him!

We have the same situation. I've decided that when our vet needs more patients, she adopts a dog from the shelter and drops him off here! :lol: In 2 years we've had 6 dogs dumped here.

Once they pay some $, they show a bit more commitment and responsibility. This is so true, in many areas in life. :001_smile: Generally people who want a dog for free will lose interest quickly. Not everyone, but many, ime.

I also agree there will be no profit.

I think you should charge something, not so that you can make money (although that's good, right?!) but to make sure someone who can afford the dog and is committed buys her. If you give the dog away free, you can find anyone who wasn't really looking for a dog but, hey, who can resist an adorable FREE dog. So make it so they can resist!

Also, I don't know how common this REALLY is, but you hear that labs or something look for free dogs for animal testing. Also, bait for fighting dogs? If you charge, these types of folks won't be interested.

I would definitely neuter him before selling. Otherwise you'll likely have someone who wants to breed the unregistered purebred dog. Maybe your vet would give you a break on the dumped dogs?

You're not making a profit. You've put a lot of labour into training the dog and money into treatments and food. You could ask $300 and probably still be at a loss.

But asking for money isn't just about recouping costs, it also helps ensure you get calls from people who can handle the cost of owning a dog. It's a bit of a way to screen potential adopters and part of the reason rescues and shelters have adoption fees.

It costs money to take care of a dog. Asking for money back is fine.

I wouldn't ask several hundred dollars, but a good $125 or $200 would be fine. If you dropped it a little (or even completely) for the right person who you really like for your foster doggie, fine; but I would at least place the ads asking for they rehoming fee.

Thanks, y'all.

You are right. I do already have a rescue.

Did I tell you about the time I was in the house cooking muffins...when I went outside to tell the kids that breakfast was ready. Someone had come over and given them a dehydrated newborn fawn.....and then left without even seeing an adult.

I was so mad. That fawn was dying. Anyone could see that, but Miss Good gave him sub Q fluids and goat colostrum, and he made it.

I had to call Dh and warn him of the new animal. He said, "are you trying to tell me there is a deer in my garage?" I said, "Um, no, there is a deer in the playroom."

th_Fredgoestothecercus.jpg

One day, the problem cattle dog harassed him, and he panicked and ran into the woods. He was gone for 48 hours. This picture is from when he finally came back looking for his bottle.

th_Fredcamehome.jpg

People dump fawns on us all the time because we raise deer. Problem is...its actually illegal for us to take the fawns. You are not to remove a fawn from the wild for any reason. Which means if they find a dead momma and a live fawn they either leave it to die or kill it :-( I wouldnt mind rehabilitating them, but once a fawn is bottle fed its half tame and wouldnt last 4 seconds down here during deer season.