Menu

s/o of school supply thread...can we talk electric pencil sharpeners?

Paintedlady

This is our 4th year homeschooling and we're on our 2nd (about to purchase a third) electric pencil sharpener. The first one cost me $15, the second one cost me $25. I figured the first time around I bought too cheap and that surely the $25 one would be a keeper. Um, no. :glare: This thing sounds like it's going to die every time I put a pencil in it. It sound like this--wun wun wun wuuun wuuuuuun wuuuuuuuuun wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun. :001_huh: And it's so slow now that it takes forever to actually sharpen anything. I think I could chew it faster!

How much do I need to spend on a sharpener so that it sharpens lighting fast without sounding like it's dying? Whatever it is, I'm willing. Give me your best recommendations please!!!

I have gone through a couple cheapie pencil sharpeners and they all end up doing what you said, they don't sharpen very well or last very long. My husband bought this pencil sharpener for himself.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Acto-1818-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B0006HVPW4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1279126825&sr=1-6

I've since stolen it :) I like it, its quiet enough, doesn't sound like its dying and it sharpens really well. Its not that expensive either. I don't know about "long term" because we've only had it about 2 months or so and I don't do a TON of sharpening so...that's where I'm coming from :)

Although, looks like it hasn't gotten very good reviews on Amazon lol Sorry this post was probably not much help at all.

Edited by MiztrezzLyn
grammar mistake!

You have to take it apart every once in a while and clean the blades of pencil shavings and lead. Also, if you push a pencil too hard into an electric sharpener, it will make that "engine dying" type of sound. If you do that too much, then the motor overheats and really does wear down. You can also lube the blades once a month to keep them moving smoothly. I use the little oil tube that my husbands electric shaver came with.

We purchased ours at WalMart about 5 years ago, it's a Fort Knox Electric Pencil Sharpener, Model 11701.

I have this model Panasonic electric sharpener (sadly not available on Amazon at the moment). It cost around $35-40, and it's a workhorse. Perfect point every time, no scary motor noises, I love it.

Jackie

The one we have at work is a Panasonic electric sharpener too.

Lasted at least 2 years since I got here. probably closer to 5 from the looks of it. Is used to sharpen the pencils of all the guys around here. Still works.

ETA: It is the

Panasonic® KP-310 Electric Pencil Sharpener mentioned below

Edited by vonfirmath

This is the one I have....have had it for over 14 years....maybe longer. I know I bought it before my ds was born (he is 14.5). I used it for homeschool for over 13 years with 4 dc...so quite a workout....and we use it on our colored pencils.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KP-310-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B00005QY0H

Unfortunately I do not see it for sale anywhere, but they have this one at Office Depot that looks close.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/921345/Panasonic-KP-410A-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener/

But I think if I had to replace mine I would go for this one.

http://www.staples.com/X-ACTO-School-Pro-1670-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener/product_436632?cmArea=SEARCH#revs_content

I tried so many of them, and we've had this one for at least two years and NEVER had one problem. It looks like it's 'out-of-print' so to speak, but you may be able to find it somewhere. I think I paid around $40 for mine:

Panasonic KP380

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KP380-BK-Classic-Electric-Sharpener/dp/B00006IEIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1273592878&sr=8-1

Guest mrsjamiesouth
This is our 4th year homeschooling and we're on our 2nd (about to purchase a third) electric pencil sharpener. The first one cost me $15, the second one cost me $25. I figured the first time around I bought too cheap and that surely the $25 one would be a keeper. Um, no. :glare: This thing sounds like it's going to die every time I put a pencil in it. It sound like this--wun wun wun wuuun wuuuuuun wuuuuuuuuun wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun. :001_huh: And it's so slow now that it takes forever to actually sharpen anything. I think I could chew it faster!

How much do I need to spend on a sharpener so that it sharpens lighting fast without sounding like it's dying? Whatever it is, I'm willing. Give me your best recommendations please!!!

What's wrong with a little hand powered one? I got mine for 25cents and we have had it for 4 years.

I have this model Panasonic electric sharpener (sadly not available on Amazon at the moment). It cost around $35-40, and it's a workhorse. Perfect point every time, no scary motor noises, I love it.

Jackie

After burning through 3 electric pencil sharpeneres, I bought the Panasonic. It was the only one that had such good reviews. Sad that it doesn't seem to be available anymore!

We have a Royal P60 electric pencil sharpener that my husband bought. I thought he was crazy, but this thing has been great. It even sharpens my little one's chubby Ticonderoga pencils and the triangular shaped ones. We have done colored pencils and everything in between. Such nice pointy tips.

Can you tell I like a nice sharp pencil?:)

I had one of the nice Panasonics that dh took a great deal of trouble to get me. He had one at work and loved it. It survived about two months at our house.

Since then I've gotten Royals because while they may still break, they only cost $10 to replace. The last one endured about a year.

I don't sharpen colored pencils or those pencils that are plastic rather than wood. I use a hand held sharpener for that.

And I try to keep the batteries well charged (we just use rechargebles). Also, check that you aren't letting too much shavings build up.

Having said all that, when we move back to the US I'll be searching for a nice hand crank to put in the garage.

I would NOT trade my do-it-yourself, hand crank sharpener for a whole truck load of electric ones. Some things just can't be improved upon, in my opinion. :001_smile:

But I've read that the old ones are good, but new ones are not.

And if I can't use it on colored pencils, what's the point?

Sigh.

I just threw out one dead little pencil sharpener (regular, non-electric, non-crank). It didn't work at all. I replaced it with one from Target's school supply aisle, for 60c; now I have three regular pencil sharpeners. Sometimes I get tired of sharpening pencils.

I would NOT trade my do-it-yourself, hand crank sharpener for a whole truck load of electric ones. Some things just can't be improved upon, in my opinion. :001_smile:

this is my thought too...although we don't own one...but after going through 2 electric ones in 2 years...I am going to start...any idea where I can buy one that I can attatch to a wall or desk top? Thanks.

I thought I bought a good one, but I kinda hate it. It sounds like it can't get through the pencil and it takes forever. Looking at the brand, it looks like a cheap Made in China sharpener, brand called Yejen. Maybe I'll try one of the links and go with a Panasonic.

We sharpen our colored Prismacolors and Lyra Ferbies by hand.

Thank you for all the suggestions and links!!! I was at Staples for the third time :glare: this week and was looking at what they had there. There were a few that were suggested but I couldn't decide. Argh! I wish they'd let us test them in the store ya know?

Edited by Paintedlady

This is the one I have....have had it for over 14 years....maybe longer. I know I bought it before my ds was born (he is 14.5). I used it for homeschool for over 13 years with 4 dc...so quite a workout....and we use it on our colored pencils.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KP-310-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B00005QY0H

I purchased this same model 6-7 years ago from Costco for $25 or so and it still works like it did brand new. I'm keeping my fingers crossed... :)

Pam

We finally got off the sharpening rat race and got Bic Velocity mechanical pencils.

last year we tried mechanical, but they were running out of lead so fast.. and the lead broke all the time. And I couldn't find a place to buy replacement erasers.

I finally gave up and decided it's not the pencils that are the problem :)