Menu

I want a homeschool bumper sticker!

I really do. But so many of them (although quite funny) are kind of obnoxious and offensive to non-HSers and even other HSers. Isn't there a hip, but still polite, bumper sticker or window cling to be had?

(And then there's a small part of me that worries that if I wash out of HSing, I'll have to scrape the thing off my car, and I'll feel like such a jerk :001_unsure:)

On a side note, do many people consider the Evolved Homeschooler logo to be rude? At first I just thought it was a cute way to indicate that you're a likely a secular HSer (or at least one that teaches evolution), but then I got to thinking that some might find it offensive.

TIA!

The "evolved" and "Darwin" logos are offensive to me because they poke fun at a Christian symbol (the fish), and identify the bearer as "anti-Christian". I would stay away from those. Would you rather define yourself according to who you are and what you stand for, or who you aren't?

Here is a link for homeschool t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers, etc., I think I like the "2 cool 4 school" logo...

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/materials/Tshirts.htm

On a side note, do many people consider the Evolved Homeschooler logo to be rude? At first I just thought it was a cute way to indicate that you're a likely a secular HSer (or at least one that teaches evolution), but then I got to thinking that some might find it offensive.

TIA!

I have a love hate relationship with bumperstickers. I love reading them, but I quiver at one on my car being too imprecise. The only one I've come up with I'm really sorry I didn't do was, right after 9/11, "Jingo-ism free zone".

As far as "evolved", it was cute when it was new, but the whole fish with legs thing is passe, IMO. Like "baby on board".

How about "Ancient Earth Homeschooler" (or is it old earth?). I've thought about a simple statement of fact: Secular Neo-classical Homeschooler. I once dreamed I had

Neo-Classical Homeschooler-- et tu?

I'm afraid, for me, a bumpersticker is like a train trip across Russia. I like to think about it, but I suspect I'll never do it.

I don't have any bumper stickers on my car, but the home school sticker I've seen and liked most said,

"It's an honor to teach my student at home" (or "child" -- I think there are a couple of versions). Yes, it's a take-off on the "honor student" bumper stickers, but I like that the focus is on the blessing it is to me to be able to do this, not that we are somehow better than others. You know?

Why don't you make your own? Its quite simple, find a phrase you like, buy magnetic sheets (they come in all sizes at your local craft store), laminate, and voila!

My dd did this for Christmas presents (ok, not homeschool ones, but magnets for our relatives. . . . . ) they were a big hit!

She did one for my dad, the Mac expert, that said, "iGrampy". Funny!

I'll bet your kids could think of a good one :) I like the Unsocialized Homeschoolers one. . . .

But for me, it would be: "Do Not Wash Car. Homeschool Science Experiment" ;)

I don't have any bumper stickers on my car, but the home school sticker I've seen and liked most said,

"It's an honor to teach my student at home" (or "child" -- I think there are a couple of versions). Yes, it's a take-off on the "honor student" bumper stickers, but I like that the focus is on the blessing it is to me to be able to do this, not that we are somehow better than others. You know?

I like this one :)

We won't put bumper stickers on our van because we don't want to draw attention to ourselves.

DH has 1 bumper sticker on his truck, it's from Promise Keepers and it says I LOVE MY WIFE. I do occasionally see those around the city, but not very often. I do have a crate that I use and would like to get a few for.

Kristine

I like the one that says: "If we home school, why are we spending so much time in the car?" :driving:

(And being the sick woman that I am, I also like the one that says, "My kid beat up your honors student!" Of course, it's not about homeschooling, and it's not even nice. But I always laugh out loud when I see it!!) :smilielol5:

Thanks everyone! I think I may go with the "Unsocialized Homeschoolers on Board" sticker (or magnet--I'd love that!). I like that it's mild but funny. I was worried that it might still draw negative attention, but I think you're all right--it'll be fine. I also saw one on Cafepress that said "Homeschoolers have class--everywhere!" :D

Thanks for the input. I've never been a bumper sticker girl either, but I get so giddy when I see HS bumper stickers when we're out and about! We're so few and far between here; I wouldn't mind putting it out there a little.

(And being the sick woman that I am, I also like the one that says, "My kid beat up your honors student!" Of course, it's not about homeschooling, and it's not even nice. But I always laugh out loud when I see it!!) :smilielol5:

I like that one, too. I really hate the "...honored home school... one. It makes me think of denim jumpers and white Keds shoes.

My husband's new favorite is "What Would Ozzie Do?" :D

I like that one, too. I really hate the "...honored home school... one. It makes me think of denim jumpers and white Keds shoes.

My husband's new favorite is "What Would Ozzie Do?" :D

Hey, I love white Keds! I'm still not entirely sure what a denim jumper is, though :D

Also, is that Ozzie as in Ozzie and Harriet, or Ozzie as in the Osbornes??? :smilielol5:

How awful, horrid, offensive, and tasteless given the social environmant of our schools nowadays, and the reality of aggression among children...

Yet, that one always makes me chuckle too! :blushing:

Funny! You know, I used to actually have a laugh when I made fun of it. However, now I am aware of my dorkyness. My children keep pointing all my dorky clothes out to me so I can't escape it anymore. I own a skort. I wear it to swim meets, especially when I am officiating. It is short, comfortable, khaki, and has a lot of hidden pockets. I think it trumps the denim jumper on the dorky scale any old day!

The "evolved" and "Darwin" logos are offensive to me because they poke fun at a Christian symbol (the fish), and identify the bearer as "anti-Christian". I would stay away from those. Would you rather define yourself according to who you are and what you stand for, or who you aren't?

Woah, we **so** don't see that sticker in the same way! I'm Christian and I did think about putting that sticker on my own car (but we're a sticker-free family).

I don't see them as anti-christian at all. I see them as saying that yes, you can be Christian and admit evolution is a fact. (now that's a whole debate in itself - not one for this thread). I do not see them as anti-Christian at all. In fact, I think my priest has one on his car!

So, yeah, that sticker defines *who I am*, a follower of Christ, and one who trusts the scientific method at the same time.

Woah, we **so** don't see that sticker in the same way! I'm Christian and I did think about putting that sticker on my own car (but we're a sticker-free family).

I don't see them as anti-christian at all. I see them as saying that yes, you can be Christian and admit evolution is a fact. (now that's a whole debate in itself - not one for this thread). I do not see them as anti-Christian at all. In fact, I think my priest has one on his car!

So, yeah, that sticker defines *who I am*, a follower of Christ, and one who trusts the scientific method at the same time.

You are right, I hadn't seen the symbol in that way. It appears to be a fairly common interpretation, but it is still a parody on creationism:

Parodies of the ichthys symbol

Main article: Parodies of the ichthys symbol

180px-Darwin_fish_ROF.svg.png magnify-clip.png

The Darwin fish.

There are few parodies of Ichthys symbol in popular culture, mostly being humorous logos parodizing theism, cultism or creationism, not specifically against Christianity. Following are few examples:

• The Darwin Fish, which often appears as a bumper sticker, is a satirical representation of the ichthys symbol, reversed and with feet attached and often with the name "DARWIN" in the middle, in reference to Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution. One implication of the motif is to contrast evolution with creationism, but it is certainly possible to construe it as implying that Christianity can accommodate Darwin's theory. There are also variations, like the Truth fish (an ichthys eating the Darwin fish), or a Darwin fish eating the ichthys representing the survival of the fittest.

There is more here on the history, etc., of the fish symbol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthys