Menu

Those using a workbox system or similar?

I saw this on a blog and was intrigued but got EXTREMELY turned off to the idea of all those boxes.

http://www.workboxsystem.com/viewvideoonworkboxsystem.html

I also wanted so badly to be organized like some suggest but simply can't get past the idea of where I'd put all those boxes so I found this blog..and I'm gonna go this route...anyone else use workboxes or something similar?

http://vegaadoption.blogspot.com/2009/03/this-is-best-system-ever.html

http://mama-jenn.blogspot.com/2010/05/our-workbox-system.html

Right now we have a folder for each child for each day. All their print outs and such go in it but it's not per subject and it's not organized enough for them to work independently. I love this workbox idea!

I just set up one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-7-Drawer-Cart-Set-of-2/10401064?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440361472016 for each of my twins. They made the labels for the drawers and their workbooks, notebooks, etc go in them. They love going to get their work and put it away by themselve. I keep reading books, library books, history and science spines on a shelf.

Mendy. I saw on a couple blogs several families using the roll away drawers. I think if I had the room I'd be up for using something similar, but I just don't have the room.

I even love the Ikea shelving units and how nice and neat they can look for workboxes..but I have the room issue :p

This summer dh and I are working on building a short unit for the workboxes to go under our windows. However, last year I used a system where each kiddo had their own crate and each crate had hanging files for each subject. They were labeled and had the numbers on the front. They each had a chart to place their numbers on once they were finished with each subject. Worked just fine and I only had one crate per kiddo.

I use the colourful 10 drawer carts and they don't take much space at all. I only bought them this last year for my teens and it has been a great organizational system for me. It is a good way to just keep thing in order and visually organize all their books and subjects. I don't regret setting it up at all, although I didn't Ed up using parts of the system.

I use file boxes for the kids. In each box I have 5 sets of different color folders. Each day they work through one color.

We started this towards the end of last year and it has worked well so far. I needed something that didn't take up as much space as a wall full of boxes, and this has fit that need. And, the kids like being able to see how much work they've got & when they are finished.

I use the plastic roll cart drawers for my 14 year old. We have the smaller 6 drawer unit and some overflow in a box under the bench in our kitchen. I kept things on a shelf for many years but he likes this much better. It's not very big and I've long ago given into the fact that our house is a school/music room.

We use a file box similar to this, except that ours are jewel toned blue and purple. I use brightly colored hanging files in the boxes and use one for each subject. Super easy and convenient. I fill their boxes the night before or early in the morning and stack the boxes in the corner, out of the way. When the kids come into the room, they each get their own box and get started. Couldn't be easier. We all love it!

Ohhh the more I see the roll drawer carts...the more I am wanting to do that method! I must find the space in our office. Cramped or not! :p My only issue is the baby getting into them. That would be a nightmare. Think I'll eventually do the carts..once the baby is into preschool!

We use the Trofast from Ikea too. I have two short towers with 11-12 boxes (White w/ green boxes), depending on what's in the boxes. I looked at the rolling carts, but went with Trofast instead for 2 reasons: 1. Because ds is in 6th grade now, his work is bigger, i.e textbooks and encyclopedias & such, so the cart drawers weren't big enough. 2. The Trofast seemed sturdier to me. Cost wise, they were the same.

I don't use the workbox system in it's official capacity though. Mostly I use it for organization. I got tired of getting calls at work, "Mom, where's my....?" This solves that problem, plus it's a great way to remind myself to throw in some fun stuff every so often.

I saw this on a blog and was intrigued but got EXTREMELY turned off to the idea of all those boxes.

http://www.workboxsystem.com/viewvideoonworkboxsystem.html

I also wanted so badly to be organized like some suggest but simply can't get past the idea of where I'd put all those boxes so I found this blog..and I'm gonna go this route...anyone else use workboxes or something similar?

http://vegaadoption.blogspot.com/2009/03/this-is-best-system-ever.html

http://mama-jenn.blogspot.com/2010/05/our-workbox-system.html

Right now we have a folder for each child for each day. All their print outs and such go in it but it's not per subject and it's not organized enough for them to work independently. I love this workbox idea!

Thanks SO much for the link to the mama-jenn.blogspot. I went to my Dollar Tree this morning and bought a bunch of these bags. I love this idea!

Thanks SO much for the link to the mama-jenn.blogspot. I went to my Dollar Tree this morning and bought a bunch of these bags. I love this idea!

You're welcome!!

Did you happen to get home and open them up? Are they nice and sturdy? That was my one main concern. If they were flimsy or sturdy enough to handle much use through-out the school year.

You're welcome!!

Did you happen to get home and open them up? Are they nice and sturdy? That was my one main concern. If they were flimsy or sturdy enough to handle much use through-out the school year.

Yes, they seem quite sturdy. I wasn't sure which size to go with (they come in large, x-large and xx-large). mama-jenn used large, but I went with x-large, which is only 2 per pack. Still cheap in my book. So I can't speak directly to the quality of the "large", but the x-large are thick and well made. Not sure if you could see in the pic on her blog, but they also have a built in handle which is nice.

I'm loving all the blog links!!

Y'all got some great workbox systems. I'm that much more eager to get something together for our classroom.

I think due to the lack of space still I don't have the room for 3 sets of cart drawers or a major shelving unit. So I'm settling on something like this..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Tier-Heavy-Duty-Plastic-Shelves-White/8251816?findingMethod=rr

Along with some bright colorful crates for each child as well as a combo one for the subjects we do together. And yes I'm gonna have one for the baby so he knows he's important during our school hours too! :D That still allows me the space I need to put the clear bags in the crates/tubs and have some room next to the crates/tubs for bigger items.

Now to find a place for the hooks where they can hang their bags of completed school work :p

Ohhh so much to do ..... so little time .....

I use the colourful 10 drawer carts and they don't take much space at all. I only bought them this last year for my teens and it has been a great organizational system for me. It is a good way to just keep thing in order and visually organize all their books and subjects. I don't regret setting it up at all, although I didn't Ed up using parts of the system.

I use the same thing (in clear though...wanted the colored ones but they didn't have them!).

I just stick the work in them. I don't set them up every day. For instance I have the kids MUS workbooks and test books in the drawer. When it is time to do math we just tear out what we need. I do this with all the subjects. It really sames me time.

ETA:

Like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Advantus-Cropper-Hopper-Center-Rolling/dp/B000S12SII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1277759593&sr=8-1

just with opaque drawers instead of color..../sigh I did want color but Sam's only had opaque..and $20 cheaper than Amazon!

Edited by Mynyel