Menu

Figuratively Speaking - FYI

MariannNOVA

FWIW:

I ordered three copies from Amazon and they arrived yesterday. I've begun reading through it.

DD11 (rising 6th grader) will definitely enjoy this and we can do it together.

The twins (rising 4th graders) - we will be waiting till we see a tad more maturity and attention-span before we introduce this to them.

The twins will certainly be able to listen in and get the 'ambience' but the workbook is not for them right now.

I would think both could be an issue, but again that would depend upon the child. Denotation, connotation, idiom, oxymoron, and paradox are all terms that require a certain level of abstract thinking that early to mid-elementary children often have not yet developed. There is a wide variety of literature used for examples that ranges from simple to subtly sophisticated:

And suddenly the rabbit, which had been crouching as if it were a flower, so still and soft, suddenly burst into life. Round and round the court it went, as if shot from a gun, round and round like a furry meteorite, in a tense hard circle that seemed to bind their brains.

D.H. Lawrence's Women in Love

Love that passage! The student needs to pick out what three things the movements of the rabbit are being compared to in locating metaphors and similes. A younger student could do the work but would miss the beauty of many of the works that are used. My personal opinion is that it's a great resource that I wouldn't want to waste too early, but then I don't teach literary analysis beyond the basics of character, setting, and plot to kids younger than 5th grade.

Maturity in terms of content issues? Or maturity in terms of academic readiness?

Academic readiness? Hmmmm, They 'could' be ready; They choose 'not' to be ready. -- we already do 'Deconstructing Penguins' (character, setting, plot), and I am very pleased with it, and the kids love it.

And, 'maturity' as in 'Please do not conduct yourself in such an immature manner' - THAT would be me speaking to the twins.

I would have been able to do FS with dd11 when she was in 4th grade - no problem at all.

The twins are another story.

And:

Swimmermom3 makes some excellent points here:

I would think both could be an issue, but again that would depend upon the child. Denotation, connotation, idiom, oxymoron, and paradox are all terms that require a certain level of abstract thinking that early to mid-elementary children often have not yet developed. There is a wide variety of literature used for examples that ranges from simple to subtly sophisticated:

And suddenly the rabbit, which had been crouching as if it were a flower, so still and soft, suddenly burst into life. Round and round the court it went, as if shot from a gun, round and round like a furry meteorite, in a tense hard circle that seemed to bind their brains.

Love that passage! The student needs to pick out what three things the movements of the rabbit are being compared to in locating metaphors and similes. A younger student could do the work but would miss the beauty of many of the works that are used. My personal opinion is that it's a great resource that I wouldn't want to waste too early, but then I don't teach literary analysis beyond the basics of character, setting, and plot to kids younger than 5th grade.

Thank you, Lisa. This is quite helpful and makes me feel much better about the twins. FS is not a piece of fluff (in case anyone thought it was some warm and fuzzy work book) - DD11 would have been able to do it in 4th grade - I wish I'd had it for a couple of my students when I was teaching fourth grade. I am bringing it with me this evening when I have my pedicure appointment so I can continue reading it - everyone is there with 'beach' reading - but, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not me.6276-Female-Dog-Groomer-Giving-A-Pampered-Pooch-A-Pedicure-Clipart-Picture.jpg

Thanks for the replies! My DD did fine with most of MCT's Building Poems with the exception of the chapter on meter (and to be frank, how important is that really unless someone is a college English major? :tongue_smilie:) I doubt we'd even have room in her schedule for another LA book until 2nd semester anyways.

I have Fig. Speaking and my plan is to pull terms we learned in MCT Island the first three months of our school year to review/see presented a different way. Then the remainder I'll be watching as we go through MCT Town and see things we can pull out Fig. Speaking for. I expect my 5th grader to get more from it than my 3rd grader, who I just want exposed again to the terms.

Some terms, they will absolutely get more out of in a couple of years. However, the terms they have been exposed to through MCT, it won't hurt to try it with and see how they do.

More later,

Exactly Michele! When we did A World of Poetry, I pulled lessons 14-18 from FS to reinforce the poetry work. We needed some help, especially with rhythm.

Ah all is right w/ the world, all my groupies are posting in one thread!!! :001_smile:

I have Figuratively Speaking and will be pulling out bits and pieces as we go along.

Not much to contribute, but didn't want to be left out. :lol:

while I'm thinking of it, I'd better go see if I can put my fingers on it. I moved everything for showing the house and things have a way of disappearing now.

I bought FS for this year for my 6th grader too.

Lisa, I saw in your sig that you are using TOG. Do you work through the workbook from the beginning or use pertinent worksheets as they come up in TOG? I'm not sure how I'm going to use it yet.

A friend suggested using FS to create a literature resource notebook that students can refer to throughout the year. Sounds like a good idea. Again, not sure how to implement.

Ah all is right w/ the world, all my groupies are posting in one thread!!! :001_smile:

I have Figuratively Speaking and will be pulling out bits and pieces as we go along.

while I'm thinking of it, I'd better go see if I can put my fingers on it. I moved everything for showing the house and things have a way of disappearing now.[/QUOTE]

Look in the armoire, UNDER the living roon sofa or IN the clothes dryer.

:001_huh: Oh, you meant YOUR house. :leaving:

while I'm thinking of it, I'd better go see if I can put my fingers on it. I moved everything for showing the house and things have a way of disappearing now.

Ha! I just saw your name as the last post on this thread and thought the same thing.

I felt that since I've joined the MCT gang that I ought to be posting on this thread as well. :001_huh:

Whooo boy... what to add to this thread though? Hmmmm.

Oh! I own FS! Indeed I do. It's been on my self for a few months now, waiting to be used. But I didn't know with what. And now I've found MCT and so the piece of the puzzle has been found.

Awwww. Y'all are so great. :grouphug: Thanks for helping a girl out. ;)

Ha! I just saw your name as the last post on this thread and thought the same thing.

I felt that since I've joined the MCT gang that I ought to be posting on this thread as well. :001_huh:

Whooo boy... what to add to this thread though? Hmmmm.

Oh! I own FS! Indeed I do. It's been on my self for a few months now, waiting to be used. But I didn't know with what. And now I've found MCT and so the piece of the puzzle has been found.

Awwww. Y'all are so great. :grouphug: Thanks for helping a girl out. ;)

I own it too! I'm not presently an MCT user though. I actually bought and sold it way back before it became popular.

So, does anyone here us FS without MCT? Or is that a sacrilege? I'm trying not to think too much about buying it again. :leaving:

I own it too! I'm not presently an MCT user though. I actually bought and sold it way back before it became popular.

So, does anyone here us FS without MCT? Or is that a sacrilege? I'm trying not to think too much about buying it again. :leaving:

Oh, no need to think about it too much. Just buy it. ;)

:lol::lol: Sorry, no help, am I? :tongue_smilie:

I am not an MCT user*, but I own FS. We plan to use it this fall, pulling lessons that pertain to our lit studies. I'm looking forward to using it.

*(disclaimer):I have looked at MCT, I admire those of you using MCT, but I have no plans to use MCT at any point now or in the future. :D

Hey, I'll post here too! I've got one copy of FS, which I keep meaning to open and read through, as oppose to just carry around in my bag (along with Keepers of the Flame and Essay Voyage).

And iin my Amazon cart... Killgallon for middle school, one more copy of FS, and Patty Paper Geometry (I can use one copy of this for two kids, right?)

I've got all the great materials, now to figure out how to use them *together*... :svengo:

Hey, how come no one CC'd me on the memo about this meeting? :lol:

I have Fig. Speaking and my plan is to pull terms we learned in MCT Island the first three months of our school year to review/see presented a different way. Then the remainder I'll be watching as we go through MCT Town and see things we can pull out Fig. Speaking for.
Exactly Michele! When we did A World of Poetry, I pulled lessons 14-18 from FS to reinforce the poetry work. We needed some help, especially with rhythm.

So is this pretty much how everyone uses FS, pulling out the relevant sections as you go through MCT?

I have FS, MCT, Deconstructing Penguins, Kilgallon, and Whimbey all sitting on my shelf for next year. So.... if someone wants to bring a complete schedule integrating all those programs to the next meeting, I'll bring the pasta salad, K? :thumbup:

Jackie

Hey, how come no one CC'd me on the memo about this meeting? :lol:

So is this pretty much how everyone uses FS, pulling out the relevant sections as you go through MCT?

I have FS, MCT, Deconstructing Penguins, Kilgallon, and Whimbey all sitting on my shelf for next year. So.... if someone wants to bring a complete schedule integrating all those programs to the next meeting, I'll bring the pasta salad, K? :thumbup:

Jackie

MCT is only part of the picture. I used the Boomerang from Brave Writer for dictation and Julie Bogart often pulls in some piece of literary analysis. I tended to start a new week's dictation on a day I was pressed for time and have it serve double duty. I can expand on Julie mentioning something like alliteration or irony by adding work from FS. You could be examining a medieval poem as a primary resource and then talk about repetition and refrain. Make that book work for you, ladies.:D I shouldn't write and cook fried, yes I did say fried chicken at the same time.

I have FS, too. I bought it last year but didn't know how to use it. I am gradually clueing in on how to incorporate it into our lit. studies. Whenever we come upon a literary element, I pull out FS and do a page for that element.

We are doing Further Up and Further In unit study for the summer. Whenever we come upon a literary element in the study, we do a page in FS. It is starting to be second nature to use FS now without it being too contrived.

I have FS, too. I bought it last year but didn't know how to use it. I am gradually clueing in on how to incorporate it into our lit. studies. Whenever we come upon a literary element, I pull out FS and do a page for that element.

We are doing Further Up and Further In unit study for the summer. Whenever we come upon a literary element in the study, we do a page in FS. It is starting to be second nature to use FS now without it being too contrived.

:D Easy, right? How is Further Up and Further In?

For those of you that like this kind of thing: Make a literary terms booklet. Use half sheets of copy paper, trim them slightly smaller so you can back them on half sheets of construction paper. Have your student write a literary term, it's definition and a couple of examples that you find in your readings. They can draw pictures if they want. My older son did this. He actually pulled it out for reference for his Lit & Comp class for an assignment. They were supposed to look up literary terms and give an example.:lol:

:D Easy, right? How is Further Up and Further In?

:

We started it last week and we are loving it! I usually tweak and change curriculum until it is totally unrecognizable but I haven't had to change anything. It is set up in buffet style and you can pick and choose as to what you want to do. I like that.

We started it last week and we are loving it! I usually tweak and change curriculum until it is totally unrecognizable but I haven't had to change anything. It is set up in buffet style and you can pick and choose as to what you want to do. I like that.

Thank you for this -- I did look at it once, but it slipped my mind. I will go and take another look.:)

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would revive this thread, instead of starting a new one.

I just got my copy of FS yesterday, and I have to say it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Not only is it perfect for me and the boys loolygagging around the house, but will save me a TON of time and effort with my writing club.

So thank you everyone!

Hooray!

:D

I thought I would revive this thread, instead of starting a new one.

I just got my copy of FS yesterday, and I have to say it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Not only is it perfect for me and the boys loolygagging around the house, but will save me a TON of time and effort with my writing club.

So thank you everyone!

Hooray!

:D

Glad to hear you are happy with it. It is one of those indispensable tools you can use year after year and is well worth the paltry sum.:D

:iagree: I am going to be bringing my FS, and other materials with us as we will be traveling later this week and I hope to get lesson plans completed. I am also bringing the Duke TIP Conn Yankee material so I can decide how I will use it with dd11.

We have been busy with Standardized Testing (completed and we have received scores) and the kids have been in Classical Greek Day Camp for two weeks so 'this' has been summer vacation (2 more weeks to go).

I'm sure others have different methods, but with MCT and Killgallon, here's what I do. I have my boys take one of the MCT Practice Sentences through the 4 step analysis, regular MCT style. Then I have them "chunk" the sentence into parts like the sample shows and read it in logical segments. Next they use their 4 step analysis as a guide to write an imitation sentence. They actually enjoy this part.

This sounds like an awesome idea but I'm not quite sure I follow the "chunking" of the sentence. Can you expand on how you do this? I love the idea of having them write an imitation sentence... I think I'm going to try that with ds this year.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for this thread, I was just wonderig about this book.

but, um, what is MCT? hide.gif

That is just about the cutest little guy under that chair.... I have felt that way many times when posting about MCT. :D

Just type MCT into the search function. Or, know that it is Michael Clay Thompson who has written a fabulous LA curriculum. That is all.