Menu

Is there a thorough math program that does NOT require writing?

Mommyfaithe

I'd think almost any program could be done orally. DD the Elder did most of both Right Start (B) and Singapore (2A-3A) orally, and DD the Younger does about half her work in MEP orally.

Can Miquon be done orally too? Atleast the Orange & Red books?
I think so. My almost 6yo does about 95% of the writing; however, most sheets don't require much, and unlike many other programs, there's plenty of room for young children who can't quite write "small enough." The little bit of writing I do is for things like number lines which do require smaller numbers.

You can look through the Miquon worksheets at CurrClick.

My son is delayed for fine motor skills, but I didn't want that to hold his math back, so I got little price stickers from the stores and wrote numbers off them. He'd pick off the ones he needed and stick them to his workbook. Made for good fun :) Plus we did RightStart, which really didn't require much writing.

Ray's Arithmetic can be done in the early years solely with manipulatives and oral answers. My dd loves when we have Ray Days because she also finds writing tiring at times. But she can whip out susprisingly difficult-for-her-age math problems orally with ease.

We use Singapore on other days, and even then, I often only have her write a few of the answers on the page, and then I'll orally quiz her and fill her answers in myself. She gets plenty of writing with copywork and ETC, so by the time we get to math (her easiest subject so it's usually last), her hands are tired.

My son is delayed for fine motor skills, but I didn't want that to hold his math back, so I got little price stickers from the stores and wrote numbers off them. He'd pick off the ones he needed and stick them to his workbook. Made for good fun :) Plus we did RightStart, which really didn't require much writing.

That is a fantastic idea! My dd loves stickers (she's 3.5) so this should work really well for us! Thanks!

In line with the sticker idea, you could also get a package of number stamps and an ink pad. We sometimes do that for fun with my little guy who doesn't have the fine motor control for writing quite yet.

Also, it is super easy to get all the math facts you need at this age by simply playing games and talking about math. Here's are some suggestions for card games and dice games a 6 yr old might enjoy.

Ray's Arithmetic can be done in the early years solely with manipulatives and oral answers. My dd loves when we have Ray Days because she also finds writing tiring at times. But she can whip out susprisingly difficult-for-her-age math problems orally with ease.

:iagree::iagree: This is exactly what we used in the beginning until dd6 was up to the writing in CLE. I have to say that I was really impressed by what she was able to learn. I printed out the free version online and put them all in her math notebook and everday for math we did the next lesson. It worked great and with no writing!

:iagree::iagree: This is exactly what we used in the beginning until dd6 was up to the writing in CLE. I have to say that I was really impressed by what she was able to learn. I printed out the free version online and put them all in her math notebook and everday for math we did the next lesson. It worked great and with no writing!

WOW! Thanks for the ideas. We have been using CLE and it is so writing dependant. (I do the writing.....) but I think he would be happier with a manipulative based program. He loves all sorts of math toys and we have used them for years. I think I will check out right start math.

Do you have to test into the program or should we start at the start.

~~Faithe

WOW! Thanks for the ideas. We have been using CLE and it is so writing dependant. (I do the writing.....) but I think he would be happier with a manipulative based program. He loves all sorts of math toys and we have used them for years. I think I will check out right start math.

Do you have to test into the program or should we start at the start.

~~Faithe

There is a starting level questionnaire on the RightStart's website. Even if he knows his basic numbers, I might suggest he start with Level A and work through it quickly. IMHO, I think Level A gives a great base for the rest of the program. And it would give him more confidence. You can view a table of contents and a sampler from each level once you click through to the actual Level, under Downloads in the left column. GL finding what you need!

FYI, everything covered in RS A is covered again in RS B at a faster pace. Dr. Cotter originally started the RS sequence with B but added Level A because folks wanted a more gentle intro suitable for Kindergarten.

I started my oldest in B and went slowly. I had to "park" in several places and it took her 13 months HS year round to finish the book. But I don't regret starting with B.

My 2nd I'm going to try A first as he isn't yet reading but if the challenge level isn't right, I won't hesitate to switch to B.

We use CLE first grade math. My ds does most of it orally because he can move through the lessons a lot quicker that way. I think you could do that with any math program at the early levels, before you have to start carrying/borrowing and that sort of thing. Lee, hs'ing mom to 5 with one waiting in the wings