Menu

The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education

Aloha2U

I just want to share that I've officially added The Core by Leigh Bortins to my list of favorite classical educator books (along w/TWTM, Teaching the Trivium, etc.). I particularly like chapter seven wherein Leigh gives simple steps/instructions on how to teach geography the classical way - starting w/grid lines and blobbing, if you will ;). I understand the concept of blobbing and plan to do it w/our kids in Classical Conversations this fall, but this simple chapter just really brought it all home for me.

Here's some additional info. for anyone who may be interested in the book...

Click here to view a sample of Leigh's book, The Core! (click on the link above to view additional sample pages at Amazon)

Click here to read the article in the NY Times!

:001_smile:

Thanks for the review! I chickened out of pre-ordering it from amazon and instead decided to wait until others here read it and could offer a review. I'm glad to hear you liked it so much! I think I'll have to go ahead and order it now and look forward to hear others' reviews.

I just received my copy a couple of days ago and I am loving it! I just read chapter 7. We were in CC last year but, the tutors didn't have the students doing the grid lines/blobbling. I think I'm going to start it at home, though.

I was blown away by all of the information about how illiterate we are as a nation as well as how the ps system has changed over the years. I kept reading portions of it to my dh and I think that I've convinced him that he needs to read this book too. We both want to be a part of the 'great conversation' with our dc in the years to come.

I think The Core should be required reading for every parent in America.

Question: Would the book be relevant to someone not interested in pursuing Classical Conversations, but wanting to read more about classical education?

I'm only about half way through, but so far there is not much (anything, really) about CC itself and much about classical education and learning culture/history. I would absolutely recommend it to someone interested in learning more about classical education, even if not interested in CC.

CC is a Christian program, and I wondered ahead of time whether The Core would be heavily religious or faith-based in tone. I'm surprised to find it isn't. I think it will be a nice addition to general classical education inspiration.

I'm only about half way through, but so far there is not much (anything, really) about CC itself and much about classical education and learning culture/history. I would absolutely recommend it to someone interested in learning more about classical education, even if not interested in CC.

CC is a Christian program, and I wondered ahead of time whether The Core would be heavily religious or faith-based in tone. I'm surprised to find it isn't. I think it will be a nice addition to general classical education inspiration.

Oh, I'm glad to hear this! Thanks so much for sharing your review of it here. Sounds like I should be :auto: to order my copy finally.

Thank you.

I've been reading Campbell's Latin-Centered Curriculum. I'm not sure how it compares with The Core. In fact, I read that NY Times article a few weeks ago and saw that it was one of the most e-mailed articles for a couple of days. I almost ordered The Core, but stopped myself. I also have Veith and Kern's Classical Education. Of course, we all have WTM, so should I just go ahead and order The Core? Will it provide more info than what I currently have? Our library doesn't have it of course.

I'm enjoying "The Core" too. This book is loaded with lots of great informaiton about the history of education in our country, classical education, and how to make a classical education doable. I'm not finished reading it, but I love how Leigh Bortins breaks up each "core" subject and shares her ideas about how to teach and what to cover. I'll probably return to this book time and time again (as I do TWTM). It's a great reference--full of ideas, tips, lists, and how-tos for providing a classical education and instilling a love of learning.

I just want to share that I've officially added The Core by Leigh Bortins to my list of favorite classical educator books (along w/TWTM, Teaching the Trivium, etc.). I particularly like chapter seven wherein Leigh gives simple steps/instructions on how to teach geography the classical way - starting w/grid lines and blobbing, if you will ;). I understand the concept of blobbing and plan to do it w/our kids in Classical Conversations this fall, but this simple chapter just really brought it all home for me.

Here's some additional info. for anyone who may be interested in the book...

Click here to view a sample of Leigh's book, The Core! (click on the link above to view additional sample pages at Amazon)

Click here to read the article in the NY Times!

:001_smile:

My sentiments exactly! The Core was a splurge for me (yes, even at that low price). I'm so glad I bought it, and I loved the chapter on geography too! Well said! :)

I just ordered a copy, but I can't wait to learn more about this blobbing thing. Can you give us some details?

Just got mine in the mail! The blobbing thing is SO COOL!!! It's a method of learning to draw the world map from memory. They start by learning where to draw the "great circles" (equator, tropic of cancer, arctic, etc.). Practice until too easy. Then they have you add the Prime Meridian (straight line down the middle of the page). Draw a "blob" (oval) with the focus being getting the location right. For ex for Africa: Does it start above or below the Tropic of Cancer? Does it go past the Tropic of Capricorn? Does it extend farther east than Europe? Farther wets? does it run into Austrailia? Does it share space witht eh Prime Meridian? Etc. Then you practice drawing a general outline of Africa. Etc. Etc.

I have been unable to read the book from start to finish, but have probably read the entire book by skipping around. "Oh... Fine arts. What does she say about that? Oh... Science!" The book has been wonderful - so inspirational. I am anxious to actually sit down and read it cover to cover, while taking notes.