Menu

Do you say quarter with a /kw/ sound at the beginning?

I'm realizing that while I said I say courter, I do in fact say courder - or korder, whatever same thing. Quart is still court and quartz is still courts - it's only in quarter that the t becomes a d.

Now bury. On my planet that does not rhyme with berry, furry, or bary. Sounds like Buh-ry.

I've never noticed anyone NOT use the KW sound.

Ditto - I never knew anyone didn't! If I heard "court-er" or "cour-der", I'd probably assume the person had a speech impediment. Born & raised in SC.

Edited by MeganW

I realized that although "quarter" and "quart" start with "qu", which should be pronounced /kw/, I don't say it that way. I say "quart" as though it were "court" and "quarter" like "courter." However, I do say "quarry" and "quartz" with a /kw/ sound. I grew up in southern NJ with parents from Ohio and New York. Is there a region or regions in the English-speaking world where people say quart and quarter with a /kw/ sound?

I'm in SC & I say all things listed just as you do.

I attempted to say quarter outloud with a "KW" sound & it came out like I was from Nu Yawk. lol.

Susan

Well I say it like you do, but I'm kinda from the same area- originally from New York, now living in Pennsylvania. I've never heard anybody use a kw sound, actually.

ditto (Philadelphian)

Only other heard it pronounced as "cott-er" from Irish friends/family.

Dh and I both say courder, and then we drink some cawfee.:D Dh gets teased on business trips in MA. I've been in northern NJ all my life, while dh is Long Island and northern NJ. Other than that, we in no way sound like anyone on the Sopranos.

/k/ in quarter and quart

/kw/ in quarry and quartz

soft "t" in quarter (between a hard "t" and a "d")

I'm from WA state. Though I lived much of my childhood in Germany, my mom (also from WA) spoke English in the home. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone use the /kw/ sound on quarter or quart. :001_huh:

Well... the only one of those four /qu/ words I say as kw is quarry.

I pronounce quartz the same way as quarts - that is, courts.

I think others here pronounce them the same way, or where did I pick that up? Lived in MA pretty much my whole life.

ETA: lived in MA my whole life, but don't have a "Boston Accent" - meaning, I do pronounce my Rs. I think Tigers is right that the Boston accent people do pronounce the kw. I say courter, they say kwatah.

:iagree: with WSS, and I'm from Central Texas. Actually, I'm sitting here saying quartz over and over to see if I pronounce the /kw/, and I think I might. I have heard a few people say quarter with the /kw/, but not often.

So surprised by the number of replies! Language is fascinating...

I'm from Southern Alberta (Canada), on the prairies since I was 10, and say /kw/, although I also say "fer" and "gotta" half the time...took me a long time to realize what a hick I sound like, and then to be at peace with that, since my background is very British.

Nancy in Alberta.