Menu

5th Grade Subjects

k2bdeutmeyer

What subjects (not necessarily which curriculum specifically) are you doing with your 5th grade student??

We're doing:

Science (fossils, oceans, wind, weather, flight, molecules and atoms, the sun, heat, the nervous system, plants, animal reproduction, and tracks)

Math

Reading

US Geography

Health

Grammar (need to purchase new curriculum here)

Bible

Just curious what others are covering at this age/level and what is "standard" (I know there really is no standard, but....).

See, I'm wondering if I should be doing some sort of history. I actually went to review what the public school's standards are for social studies and first of all, it was overwhelming. Second of all, it seemed they had more history and government than I'm doing.

I'm only concerned with what the public school is doing because I have opted for standardized testing for DD to prove our burden of progress to the state.

For my 5th grader:

History

Writing

Math

Science (Life Science)

Logic

Lang arts (Grammar, Poetry, Vocabulary,Spelling)

Literature

Latin?????

Spanish??????

I don't worry about achievement testing. The core subjects are what my district is worried about "reading, language arts, math." All you need typically is greater than 25th% to be OK w/ the district. I think if you're doing something in history, your DC will do OK on social studies portion of an achievement test. I would look at what test your DC will have to take and then get a test prep book for that one. Is it the SAT/10? The ITBS? Is it your state test? If it's your state test, then you should look at what their goals are. We'll be doing Ancient History this year using WTM methods along w/ K12 Human Odyssey as a spine for outlining, and essay writing using the K12 teacher and student guides. I will also use Core Knowledge What your 5th Grader Needs to Know for topics that might appear on an achievement test. I gave my son the NWEA MAP test which is just Language Arts, Math, and Reading. My district haven't said they won't accept it :001_smile: and I will be sending scores in a week. If they give the thumbs up for that test, I won't have to worry about social studies which is weak in elementary school.

Well, being that we live in Iowa, it will naturally be the ITBS, lol. She has always scored above the 70th (usually in the 90's) percentile, so I'm not overly concerned, but I would like her to have the knowledge and skills that would be typical of her age/level. I'd hate for her to not know things that are age appropriate simply because we didn't cover them at home. I just don't know what those "things" are......

I think I need a handbook. Would What Your 5th Grader Needs to Know help me out here? I just need a general guide line of what all she should be knowing and learning about at this stage.

Have you looked at your districts website? The new National Standards CUrriculum has just been written. You can start there and it seemed to give fairly concrete goals by grade level. I can't recall if Social studies was there. It's not clear how many states will adopt it but it's a place to start. I'd compare that to your state standards. I find that for my state, most things are handled pretty quickly, leaving the rest of the year for us to really do history rather than social studies.

The core subjects have more of a defined path ie math, language arts but the content subjects, science, history, and social studies, it really depends on the district.

My son scored well (> 90th%) on ITBS social studies and science portions even though I didn't follow district guidelines.

Well, being that we live in Iowa, it will naturally be the ITBS, lol. She has always scored above the 70th (usually in the 90's) percentile, so I'm not overly concerned, but I would like her to have the knowledge and skills that would be typical of her age/level. I'd hate for her to not know things that are age appropriate simply because we didn't cover them at home. I just don't know what those "things" are......

I think I need a handbook. Would What Your 5th Grader Needs to Know help me out here? I just need a general guide line of what all she should be knowing and learning about at this stage.

You might want to download the Core Knowledge Sequence (it's free!).

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I have looked at the district's guidelines and holy cow (!!) they are overwhelming!

If you care to check it out....here they are:

http://www.cr.k12.ia.us/aboutUs/curriculum/standardsBenchmarks/Index.cfm

From your guidelines I would get a World Geography/Cultures program. MFW ECC, Sonlight Core5, or HOD Preparing would fit. Also, look at Trail Guide to World Geo. Trail Guides might fit the best for your guidelines.

For 5th grade we are doing:

Math

Grammar

Writing

Spelling

Vocab

Latin

Reading and Comp

History

Science

French

Typing

Art

Music

Bible

Kay...help me out here, lol. I checked the abbreviations sticky and couldn't find any of them that you used? Can you give me the full names? Thank you so much....I'm still too fresh, lol.

ETA: Thank you for taking the time to read through the guidelines and offer suggestions! I really appreciate it.

Edited by k2bdeutmeyer

Science (probably a mix of biology and chemistry)

History (ancients, including some geography, not sure how much at this point)

Math

Spanish

Language arts (poetry, grammar, writing, vocabulary, spelling, literature)

art

phys. ed.

Thanks for the thread---it has reminded me that we need to work on typing and logic as well.

Okay...so what should I be doing for literature?? Geez....I've been doing this for 3.5 months and I feel like I'm starting all over again. What kinds of things do you cover for literature at this age??

DD is an EXCELLENT (above 12th grade) reader, so we really having been doing anything formal for reading, other than a comprehension workbook which she enjoys.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Kay...help me out here, lol. I checked the abbreviations sticky and couldn't find any of them that you used? Can you give me the full names? Thank you so much....I'm still too fresh, lol.

ETA: Thank you for taking the time to read through the guidelines and offer suggestions! I really appreciate it.

Trail Guides to Geo is found here: http://geomatters.com/products/details.asp?ID=6

I have and plan to use MOH next year for my 5th grader. If you are trying to stick close to what the school teaches, this isn't close. It is a good program and if you added in some good maps and teaching on the geography of the Ancients you study you could make it work.

For Lit. I just picked my own books from Sonlight Core 6 lists, Tanglewood Lit suggestions, and Heart of Dakota's 5/6 book pack. Here are some links:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional5-6.php

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/bkslit.htm

http://www.sonlight.com/readers-6.html

After reading I ask him to Narrate what he read and he keeps a notebook on further research. DITHOR from HOD is good for organizing your reading.

This link

http://www.cr.k12.ia.us/aboutUs/curriculum/documents/elementary/SLE/5%20Fifth/5TH%20GRADE%20SOCIAL%20STUDIES%20SLE.pdf

looks like it lays things out a little more plainly in terms of what is covered.

You could always ask which textbook the school system is using and start from there. You could go to the publisher's website and look at the table of contents to see which topics that level of book is covering. Then base your planning around those topics. You could also consider getting a copy and using it yourself.

I agree that it is good to couch American history in the context of world history. However, that doesn't mean that world history has to be the spine if that doesn't suit one's goal. You could always use the topics in American history as your spine then supplement with extra reading in world history. You might consider using Story of the World and just do the reading portions of it to get an overview of world history (vols. 3 and 4 will be the best correlation, though there will be some in the end of vol. 2). This is sort of what I've done, but in reverse. I use world history as the spine then beef up the American portions as we come to them.

I'm not sure that I'm really that concerned with doing what the public school is doing (this is one of the big reasons we pulled DD this year - lack of challenge in their approach and materials) - I guess I was using their guidelines as a jumping point. I was looking for some direction as to what we "should" be doing. I hope that makes sense.

I guess I just need(ed) some direction to make sure we're covering everything that we should be and that she has at least been exposed to everything that she should have by this age/level.

Dd and I did the following subjects this school year:

Bible

History (TOG, YR 1 - ancient civilizations)

Geography (connected to history)

Literature (mostly connected to history)

Writing (often connected to history, but not always)

Art

Science (general studies)

Math

Latin

Grammar

Spelling

We've kept plenty busy!

Blessings,

Lucinda

We're just gearing up for fifth grade in the autumn...

Math

Language Arts (vocabulary, grammar, composition, literature; we also include spelling b/c dd has spelling Issues, but I wouldn't otherwise still cover it)

Latin

History (prehistory through ~1000 CE)

Science (Life science and earth & space science)

Logic

Fine Arts Appreciation

Fine Arts Skills

Well, that's the whole point of the National Standards, states are different in their content, sometimes even districts or classes w/in a school are different. If you look at WTM for content recommendations they may be completely different from some other program. WTM focuses on one science subject each year. Dr. NEbel espouses four strands of science each year to show the inter-relatedness of science. Which one is right? They both are. Both approaches will get you to the same place. So you just have to decide whose schedule you want to follow? Your district's? WTM? TOG? Child's interest?

I think history is an excellent subject for teaching thinking skills, analysis skills. WTM ties literature with history.

We've started lit discussions using Teaching the Classics and my boys have really enjoyed it.

Well, that's the whole point of the National Standards, states are different in their content, sometimes even districts or classes w/in a school are different. If you look at WTM for content recommendations they may be completely different from some other program. WTM focuses on one science subject each year. Dr. NEbel espouses four strands of science each year to show the inter-relatedness of science. Which one is right? They both are. Both approaches will get you to the same place. So you just have to decide whose schedule you want to follow? Your district's? WTM? TOG? Child's interest?

I think history is an excellent subject for teaching thinking skills, analysis skills. WTM ties literature with history.

We've started lit discussions using Teaching the Classics and my boys have really enjoyed it.

Excellent points and I agree completely!!

Blessings,

Lucinda

In the fall my 5th grader will be doing the following:

Language Arts (vocabulary, grammar, composition, literature, and spelling)

Latin and/or Spanish

History (Early Modern)

Science (earth science)

Music and art appreciation

Phys Ed

Most of the time, I've found that such guidelines are timewasting gobbledy goop. Someone posted here recently about National Standards guidelines that are beginning to be posted and from the few of those I checked out, they make a lot more sense than any state guidelines I've ever seen. But they are extremely general, too. For guidelines that are more specific, I'd look to something like the Hirsch books I mentioned, above, or look at what's called for in some online curriculums such as Ambleside online or Tanglewood to help you get your bearings....

Have you considered getting a copy of The Well Trained Mind book by SWB and JW, and following it instead of the other? I honestly believe that if you did this, your student(s) would exceed the mandated standards of your local school district within a short amount of time.

TWTM is an excellent resource book to have, even if you end up supplementing public school education at some point. You can't lose by giving it a read. The book is a wealth of information. (And I promise you, no one paid me to say this.) :)

Blessings,

Lucinda

Bible, Math, Science, History/Geography, English (literature, poetry, reading, grammar, spelling, copywork/dictation, writing), Spanish, Fine Arts (picture study, composer, hymn, folk song, art materials to use in free time)

Ds did the following in 2007-08:

• Math
  • Language arts (grammar/mechanics, writing, spelling, vocab, penmanship)
  • Reading & Literature
  • Classical Studies: Ancient Greece
  • Social Studies: Early American History
  • Science
  • Art
  • P.E.

Current plan for dd for 2010-11:

• Math
  • Language arts
  • Reading & Literature
  • Classical Studies: Ancient Greece
  • Social Studies: World History - Modern Times
  • Bible
  • Science
  • Art
  • P.E.

Here's the description of the Classical Studies course I put on ds's 5th grade transcript:

Classical studies: Ancient Greece – 5th grade

Course description: An introduction to the literature and history of ancient Greece. A range of literature is read – mythology, retellings of epic poems, fables, and short biographies of key figures in Greek history. The student learns about the Greek gods and goddesses, Homer, Achilles, Agamemnon, Odysseus, Jason, the Hero of Marathon, Socrates, Xenophon, Alexander the Great, and others. Methods used include independent reading, discussion, comprehension questions, writing assignments, map work, and tests.

Credit: 1 humanities credit.

Curriculum:

D’Aulaires’ Greek Myths Student Guide by Cheryl Lowe and Leigh Lowe (Memoria Press)

Plus: Custom lessons on remaining literature

Book list:

D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths
by Ingri and Edgar Parin d’Aulaire

Black Ships Before Troy
by Rosemary Sutcliff

The Wanderings of Odysseus
by Rosemary Sutcliff

The Children’s Homer
by Padraic Colum

The Golden Fleece
by Padraic Colum

Famous Men of Greece: Greek History
by John Haaren and A. B. Poland, edited by Leigh Lowe

Archimedes and the Door of Science
by Jeanne Bendick

Aesop’s Fables

Math

Latin

French

Grammar

Spelling

Writing

Geography

Science - Earth Science

Ancient Greek History/Literature

American History/Literature

Art

Religion

ETA: outside the home - guitar and swimming

I like to make out a basic K-12 plan which includes what subjects/topics I want to cover each year. I edit and refine the plan at least once a year.

Edited by Melissa B

I just have little ones, so don't have any ideas for 5th grade, but I do have some ideas about standards. My dh is a teacher and I have helped him with his lesson plans. Basically, the standards are handed down from the administrators. At some point during the course the lesson plans must show exposure to the standard. It does not imply any level of mastery of standard. For his subject the textbook that he is required to use has no correlation to the standards. If you were to read the 200 standards for his course you would think he was teaching rocket science, which he clearly is not. Outside of math and english, I think the standards are not taken seriously in our area. Many excellent teachers don't even know what they mean.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so excited it looks like my friend's dd will probably be joining us a couple of day a week as a study buddy for my little guy. She will be in 5th grade. I had a great time looking through curriculum material with her mom the other night.:D

Math

Saxon 65 with DIVE (everyday)

Creative Problem Solving in School Mathematics (only at my house)

Language Arts

MCT Music of the Hemispheres Poetry (only at my house)

Winston Grammar (only at my house)

D'Nelian Handwriting (only at my house)

Writing Fabulous Sentences & Paragraphs from Evan Moor (only at my house)

How to Write a Story from Evan Moor (only at my house)

Readers and Comprehension Guides from Veritas Press (everyday)

Wordly Wise (only at home)

Phonetic Zoo (only at home)

History

at my house 2x/ week

A Little History of the World by Gombrich (reading, activities over the entire year)

at home

first trimester- Ancient China

second trimester- Europe Middle Ages & Renaissance

third trimester- America 1815 to present

Science

first trimester- Astronomy (GSA Space at my house with extras at home)

second trimester- Human Body (GSA Human Body at my house with extras at home)

third trimester- Inventions Study (stuff at my house and extras at home)

Spanish (just for exposure and fun)

Barrons Spanish Every Day (at my house with vocabulary at home)

Art

Art in Story and other materials that support Gombrich's history topics (only at my house)

Her year looks so fun!

Mandy

Here's the plan:

Math

Language arts (grammar, spelling, writing, handwriting)

Ancient history/literature

Latin

Science

Logic

Art appreciation/history (once a week)

Music (piano)

Typing

We'll probably participate in an art & drama co-op, and DD will continue gymnastics and swimming.