Menu

Catholic high schoolers - what do you use for History & Science??

I've been using Apologia forever - just wondered if folks felt it had any anti-Catholic bias.

I'm gonna check into that History, or just look at some secular stuff. I just don't want anything that totally eliminates Christianity as part of our nation's history, but I'm not doing anything that bashes Catholicism.

Stacey, this year for my 9th grader I used Notgrass World History and Holt Earth Science. The Holt is a secular text book. Notgrass is OK, but it is written by a Protestant and there are a few places that it is definitely anti-Catholic. I had to go through and edit it a bit. That said, we will continue to use it next year (American History), but I will definitely read through it first and edit as necessary. For science next year we are using SOS Biology.

I've used All Ye Lands from the Catholic Text Books Project with my 7th grader this year. It's a good book and we enjoyed it but I feel like it is too light by itself. We used it more as a supplement, and used K12's Human Odyssey Vol. 1 for the main text. This is secular but very well done, colorful, and engaging. We are going to used Vol. 2 next year for 8th grade, along with the second half of All Ye Lands and The Old World and America (an older Catholic text). There is also a Volume 3 of Human Odyssey and I don't know yet whether I will use that for this ds when he gets to 9th or use Notgrass. I have to say at this point, HO is my favorite of the books we have used.

I know that most Catholic programs use Apologia for HS Science. I'm not sold on it, but that's probably just me. I don't think there's a perfect science curriculum for Catholic/Orthodox homeschoolers yet, but if I find it I'll let you know :)

Yvette

I've been using Apologia forever - just wondered if folks felt it had any anti-Catholic bias.

I'm gonna check into that History, or just look at some secular stuff. I just don't want anything that totally eliminates Christianity as part of our nation's history, but I'm not doing anything that bashes Catholicism.

The only Anti Cath bias I found was in the physical science Apologia. Otherwise, the rest are just science. As far as history, I simply CANNOT stand the Catholic history books available!!! They are not only boring, but narrowly focused. I only use them for the Catholic input on certain situations. Otherwise, we use SL and WP for Am Hist and are going to use MFW for history in high school. In fact, my friend just graduated her daughter using the history suggestions from St. Thomas Aquinas umbrella school---and they were BORED TO DEATH! She borrowed Streams of Civilization from a friend and borrowed my History of US to supplement and was really bummed that she hadn't considered SL from the beginning. ;)

The only Anti Cath bias I found was in the physical science Apologia.

I'm just curious what you found in the Physical Science. I'm using it with my 9th grade dd. We haven't finished it yet because we started late. My biggest complaint with it is the young earth bias.

Thanks

is what I'm planning for next year. I decided to try the 11th grade syllabus which uses Barron's E-Z Biology, combined with reading Darwin's Black Box (and I think there are a couple other sources). Dd is not going a science route and doesn't want to dissect anything, so this seemed like a reasonable overview. If it looks like it needs more, I'll add in some natural science.

For history, I've been trying to use Connecting with History (Vol 1), but don't know if I'll continue w/ Vol 2 or not. I love the concept, but want something that's laid out a little more specifically.

We started with Apologia, were underwhelmed, and switched to secular textbooks: Conceptual Physics, Halliday, Resnick and Walker's Physics, Brown's Chemistry, Zumdahl's Chemistry, Miller/Levine and or Campbell Biology. I may use Apologia Biology as a gentle intro to high school science for my 8th grader next year.

For history, we mixed Foundations of Christendom by Carrroll and Civilization in the West by Kishlansky, and for American History America: The Last Best Hope by William Bennett (these did need some commentary from me.) And, of course, some "real" books.

I'm just curious what you found in the Physical Science. I'm using it with my 9th grade dd. We haven't finished it yet because we started late. My biggest complaint with it is the young earth bias.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it was the Phys Sci---it was in the Module that was giving some historical background, I think of Galileo. It wasn't too overt---just enough to irritate me. :tongue_smilie:

I believe that was in the general science text book. I think that it was in the older editions and that error or problem has since been corrected with the newest version of the general science. :)

lynda

Yes---it was in the older version I read it. Glad to hear it has been corrected! :)

I use Sea to Shining Sea and All Ye Lands for 5th and 6th grade. Pretty good.

I have Christ the King, Lord of History and Christ and the America, which are recommended by Seton. I agree they are extremely narrow in focus.

I'm going to use OM World History with the above texts added in at times.

I've used apologia gen sci. It's ok for middle school.

I have kolbe's PH physical science and seton's abeka physical science. They're alright IF you use them around real labs. I don't like that neither provider has much via actual experiments. I purchased the lab sets from HomeScience Tools and we are working our way through those. I have both for chemistry as well, but we will be doing astronomy next.

And of course, lots and lots of real books will be read along the way too.

We used Bennetts "America the Last Best Hope" for American history. We are probably going to use Spielvogel for Western Civ. I own the Anne Carroll books but will only use them as a supplement (if time allows). I actually find the writing style interesting, but they are very narrow in focus and very biased. For that matter, after learning what I've learned this year about history, I am cautious about using any religious based text or even public school text due to bias. I'm convinced that the best approach is to let the kids actually "do" history by reading source documents which explore an event from all perspectives (reading letters from Japanese interment camp residents as well as governmental memos advising decision makers about the matter and articles written by reporters who visited the camps). Therefore, the lighter the reading load from the spine book, the more time available for research.

Take a look at a book entitled Lies My Teacher Taught Me.

We use secular materials for science and mostly secular for history. For science, we have used Exploring Life (Campbell), Zumdahl's World of Chemistry (which we will combine with Thinkwell), Giancoli Physics and then college for the rest.

For history, we have used some Teaching Company courses and are reading some church history through works of the Early Fathers. I don't like much of what I see for Catholic homeschoolers - just rubs me the wrong way for the same reason why Protestant history materials bother me ... one point of view - demonizing the other point of view.

Guest ncgordon

We've been using the Kolbe Lesson Plans and texts for high school science. They use secular texts (Prentice Hall) and their lesson plans have excellent supplements as issues come up that pertain to our Faith (most important in Biology). They also include quizzes and tests. I think they are much better from a science point of veiw than Apologia and they avoid his protestant worldview. Their site is: www.kolbe.org

HOpe this helps.

I don't use Apologia b/c of the YE focus (the Church does not endorse the literal translation of Genesis.)

I run away from anything written by Anne Carroll. Her version of history is a far cry from authentic history. It is the Catholic equivalent of BJU.

I use secular science.

I have used some history from Catholic providers (as long as Anne Carroll isn't involved!!) This yr we used a history program from Our Lady of Victory which focused on 20th century history and communism vs. democracy. I also like Kolbe's history selections, though I am putting together my own history programs for this coming yr.

The textbooks mentioned so far, I believe, have all been elementary/middle school texts. There are a couple of Catholic high school texts I do like. History of the Church by Fr. Laux (my dd loves this book; I find it a bit dry) and Didache's History of the Church (beautiful artwork as well as excellent text) http://www.ignatius.com/IProducts/23200/history-of-the-church-student-book.aspx

I also highly recommend the Teaching Company dvds.

For science so far I've used MODG for Earth Science, which I didn't think was very good. This year for Earth Science we've used the Teaching Co. I don't mind evolution in science courses. I figure the Good Lord made us somehow and we just haven't figured it out all the way yet. It's fine by me if He chose to do it with evolution! I can't stand the YE approach because: 1)it is not Catholic and 2)it seems very unscientific to me.

However, we have used A Beka's texts for Biology and Chemistry because my kids have taken classes with a homeschool mom who uses those books. She's Catholic so she also teaches Humani Generis along with the Biology. It is a good exercise for the students because the teacher is well versed in both the science and Catholicism so she can point A Beka's bias very well.

For history, I too, can't stand Anne Carroll! We've relied on the Teaching Co and then various books to supplement. There are a number of Teaching Co. lectures that are fairly objective when it comes to Catholicism in history. Professor Noble's Foundations of Western Civ. for world history. Prof. Patrick Allit for American History (The American Identity). I also love the Didache's History of the Church.

I am looking forward to using Bennett's book when we do American history next.

I run away from anything written by Anne Carroll. Her version of history is a far cry from authentic history. It is the Catholic equivalent of BJU.

I also highly recommend the Teaching Company dvds.

You have beautifully articulated how I feel about Anne Carroll too! :glare:

Which TC dvds have you found to be most helpful?

Do you have any high school level history spines that you would recommend? We are starting 9 grade next year and going back into American History, I have not used the Carroll books prior and that was my plan to use as a spine. Now I am having second thoughts.....just like I would not use a BJU textbook for high school history due to the bias I don't want to give her the Catholic version of that either. humm.....off to google.:001_huh:

Lynda

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the author's stance on evolution is not in line with what the church believes. Although the faithful are not required to think and believe along the lines of the church on this one, I am grateful to belong to a faith that sees that God is so mighty that religion and science are not at odds with one another. The description of the pysical science book states that it "concentrates on the myths created by the environmentalist movement", which, again, science shows that these issues are not myths, but truly large concerns, although there may be debate about the seriousness of all of them. Again, after looking into the issue of Catholicism and environmentalism, I have found that our church does not believe that men's actions have no effect on the earth, but that instead we should be envirnomentally conscience.

The only Anti Cath bias I found was in the physical science Apologia. Otherwise, the rest are just science.. ;)

As far as history, I simply CANNOT stand the Catholic history books available!!! They are not only boring, but narrowly focused.

I find them boring, too. :)

I like the Teaching Co. program taught by Andrew Fix (Renaissance, Reformation, and the Rise of Nations).

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=3940 He makes a few odd/incorrect statements, but it's easy enough to point out the inaccuracies as we go along.

We read a mix of secular books and some books from Catholic publishers, rather than textbooks. One in particular that I found interesting was "Anti-Catholicism in American Culture".

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Catholicism-American-Culture-Affairs-Washington/dp/087973342X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1278942176&sr=1-3

For science, we've been using various texts, including Prentice Hall, Apologia, and Saxon. I'm not 100% thrilled with any of them, but c'est la vie. :)