Menu

Plantar Fascitis: talk to me about it...

I know there have been conversations about this in the past, but I didn't think I had this. I think so now. This is bad news for a hula dancer.:glare:

Do you think good shoes are enough? Do I need to see a podiatrist? What???

I stretch my feet before I get up in the morning, make sure to keep them warmed up throughout the day, and wear good shoes. It's improving tremendously, is gone in one foot and much less in the other--I think it will go away if I keep it up. I did go see the doctor at first, and his first recommendations were for good shoes.

I wear Dansko clogs at home and Keen hiking shoes with inserts when out. I love love love them.

You can roll the bottoms of your feet on cans, you definitely need well fitting shoes, and you could try over the counter Superfeet insoles at first. Do you have flat arches? Make sure when you try on new shoes that the shoes are correcting this to a certain degree. If conservative measures don't work, you may see a podiatrist for some custom fit orthotics. Remember, your feet will need to adjust to orthotics. Many people quit wearing them because they hurt at first, so podiatrists often recommend wearing them an hour or 2 at first, then gradually ramping up. They would tell you all about that, though. HTH.

I had it in my left foot about a year ago, but it went away. Now I'm having it in my right. My dad purchased a special thing to wear at night. It keeps your toes pulled toward your leg. It really helped him. It helps me to stretch my foot in that same direction. Stretching before getting out of bed helps a lot.

I hope to find some good ideas here, though.

Ok, so I read the other thread, too. Y'all are the best.:)

I suppose 4yo Merrels should be replaced with new shoes? They really felt *good* when I bought them, but I'm wondering if they still have the same support.

Also, if I'm wearing shoes like Merrels or others that are supposed to be good, would I still wear orthotics??

This is bad news for a hula dancer.:glare:

?

Yes it is. :sad:

It hurts too much for me to walk around without shoes so I'm not sure what you'll be comfortable wearing while dancing.

Right now I can't wear anything that doesn't have some padding in the heel. I usually like Birkenstocks but I can't wear the ones with the regular soles at the moment. Luckily they've just started making some with a soft footbed and they're comfortable.

Mine went away for quite a few years and has just started bothering me recently , so it won't necessarily bother you forever. (My arch is high which is a risk factor I think.)

Ok, so I read the other thread, too. Y'all are the best.:)

I suppose 4yo Merrels should be replaced with new shoes? They really felt *good* when I bought them, but I'm wondering if they still have the same support.

Also, if I'm wearing shoes like Merrels or others that are supposed to be good, would I still wear orthotics??

I can relate to this. I think I caused mine to happen from wearing my uber-comfy, at least eight year old Borns! It has been really painful, and I have been trying to find shoes for months. None of them fit me right or have a high enough arch! So frustrating....finally I bought some Dr. Scholl inserts that have a high arch and cushioned heel. I am wearing them in my really comfy, but worn out, sandals from last year and it is really helping.

Last week I found a pair of Kelso exer-fit clogs for ten bucks at Marshall's and they are really doing the trick, even though someone mentioned that a negative heel is bad for this foot issue. It seems to be helping my, but these will be too hot for the desert heat where I live. I haven't wanted to go to the Dr. or spend a bunch of money, but I did notice some real orthotic type inserts at the pharmacy the other day...may try those if needed, but so far so good with what I have been doing. I wore Birkenstocks for years(decades, beginning in the mid-seventies) but they feel horrible on my feet now.

What is absolutely mandatory, I have found, is wearing shoes all the time. Which is hard for this former beach girl.....but the pain is going away. I have a feeling losing some weight would also help...but haven't quite committed to that yet.

I think my comments are on the linked thread, I just want to reiterate that maintaining a proper weight makes all the difference in the world. I took off 15 pounds and my symptoms practically disappeared.

Oh Auntie Em! You make it sound so doable! As if!

I had this about 15 years ago..we were in teh process of moving, so I dind't deal with it right away. Later, I went to a podiatrist and got the fancy orthotics, had my foot wrapped, had a cortisone shot in it, never went barefoot, stretches, nothing helped. After more than a year of follwing the Dr.'s instructions to the letter, I finally was on a Prescription that was uber expensive. My Dad suggested I try some supplements. I did, and the pain was gone within a few weeks. Literally. You might think it was just time for it to be healed, but my girlfriend developed the same thing. I diagnosed it by watcing her she got up after sitting down. "Limp for a few steps and gradually you can walk again as you get the muscle stretched back out" She went the Dr. route and eventually went and talked to my Dad..and got the suppplements and then got better very quickly.

That supplement is no longer made, but the core of it was Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I take them to this day.

I also only wear Birks........as in the only thing I have worn for about 4 years, except when my son got married last March.

My feet are fine.

Haven't figured out the weight loss thing either.

Oh Auntie Em! You make it sound so doable! As if!

Aw, Kel, and Ellie, I know it is not easy. I have 15 more to go and it's been tough to get motivated to do the work it will take to reach my goal.

What I do know is that the pf diagnosis felt like a life sentence for me, and I hated that feeling. I did all the other stuff - stretching, ice, splinting, ibuprofen - at most that kept it at bay. Finally I got busy, immersed myself in a big, time and attention consuming project, and the weight came off. The pf symptoms going away was an unexpected bonus. But not having that knife-like pain in my heel is a tremendous incentive to not regain the weight.

I have it really bad in my left foot. I've had two cortisone shots and got custom orthotics. I stretch and ice and took OTC pain meds. I then tried prolotherapy with a naturopathic doctor. I felt so hopeless but nothing helped.

Two things helped me the most:

1) a splint to hold my foot in the flexed position. I sleep in this 4-6 hours a night (I usually take it off at some point because it's bothering me). My podiatrist prescribed this but I've seen Walgreens now sells something similar.

2) FIT FLOPS. Fit Flops have helped the most. I have found so much relief from them! I've only had them since last September and I've been battling the PF for about 2 years.

I also try not to go barefoot to much. Today I was cooking barefoot on our tile floor and my foot started to ache, I had to go put my Fit Flops on.

If I'm not wearing Fit Flops then I'm wearing a supportive pair of running shoes. That's pretty much my new shoe philosophy. :)

Good luck!

I have it and from what I understand, the cause is torn tendons in the arch of the foot. For me, I had to let my foot heal before I found any relief. Once I figured out the problem, I spent a couple of days resting my foot, then I got some Danskos and Sanita brand shoes. They are the only brands I wear now and my feet do not hurt anymore.

Theclogoutlet.com has cheap danskos and sanitas and sometimes you can find good deals on ebay. Otherwise you'll end up spending over $150 on a pair of shoes. I realize that may not be a big deal to some, but for me it's huge!

I may have posted in the other thread, but what helped me was Birkenstocks. I don't think it's the arch support so much as the metatarsil (sp?) support that they have. It's the reason that no other shoe seems to help me. And I hate it because Birks are not so cute. I mean they are fine for around the house and trips to the grocery store, but when I need to dress up it's always a big compromise for me...risk a flare up by wearing cute shoes, or keep my feet comfy and wear the Birks? :confused: I don't like Dansko's because they are too cloggy and round-toed. It's a challenge.

Ellie, there is a great store at Anderson Mill and 183 called Total Relief Footwear . They helped me a great deal. I already had my Birks, but they helped me find some good orthotics for my tennies. They are big retailers for Z-coil shoes but those are not right for PF. They are great for back and knee pain but I didn't think they did anything for PF. But these guys do have great orthotics they can help with and really good customer service. They are very knowledgeable. InStep at Gateway Shopping Center by Whole Foods (Arboretum area) is also good but they don't stock the orthotics, just a big retailer of Birks and Dansko among others.

As evidenced by this post, I am a proponent of a good shoe. Losing weight is great but if I can't walk I can't lose much weight. I needed help NOW and Birks were the only thing that helped me. I still never ever go barefoot.

HTH!

Theclogoutlet.com has cheap danskos and sanitas and sometimes you can find good deals on ebay. Otherwise you'll end up spending over $150 on a pair of shoes. I realize that may not be a big deal to some, but for me it's huge!

Oh, it is huge. Of course, a lot of my problem came from years of wearing cheap shoes! We were utterly broke when I first got the pf diagnosed and I just wore sneakers with inserts for about a year, which did help but not much. Now that I've spent big money on shoes, it's really going away. I have two pair and no more.

Old shoes are not as good--they wear out. So if your shoes are 4 years old, you should look into getting better ones. It's still cheaper than custom orthotics!

I may have posted in the other thread, but what helped me was Birkenstocks. I don't think it's the arch support so much as the metatarsil (sp?) support that they have. It's the reason that no other shoe seems to help me. And I hate it because Birks are not so cute. I mean they are fine for around the house and trips to the grocery store, but when I need to dress up it's always a big compromise for me...risk a flare up by wearing cute shoes, or keep my feet comfy and wear the Birks? :confused: I don't like Dansko's because they are too cloggy and round-toed. It's a challenge.

Ellie, there is a great store at Anderson Mill and 183 called Total Relief Footwear . They helped me a great deal. I already had my Birks, but they helped me find some good orthotics for my tennies. They are big retailers for Z-coil shoes but those are not right for PF. They are great for back and knee pain but I didn't think they did anything for PF. But these guys do have great orthotics they can help with and really good customer service. They are very knowledgeable. InStep at Gateway Shopping Center by Whole Foods (Arboretum area) is also good but they don't stock the orthotics, just a big retailer of Birks and Dansko among others.

As evidenced by this post, I am a proponent of a good shoe. Losing weight is great but if I can't walk I can't lose much weight. I needed help NOW and Birks were the only thing that helped me. I still never ever go barefoot.

HTH!

I will check out Total Relief Footwear today. TY!

I can't wear Birks because I need shoes with a heel at least an inch higher than the ball of my foot (BTDT with a podiatrist already, and boy, that made an enormous improvement in my heel/Achilles tendon pain). I was thinking of going to Lakeline Mall today anyway, so I'll just swerve over to Anderson Mill.

Ugh..I just got this. We moved to a place with hard floors (no carpet) earlier this year and I am on my feet all the time. I'm not a shoe person so I was in bare feet. Plus I was carrying around my 25 lb toddler in a backpack carrier and my boys and I would go on 2 hour hikes (while carrying the toddler). I have high arches and I need to find shoes with good support. Any recommendations? I have started wearing cushy slippers around the house and am staying off my feet more too. It has really helped. I also need to loose more weight. Ironically this started after I lost 20 lbs.

I have it really bad in my left foot. I've had two cortisone shots and got custom orthotics. I stretch and ice and took OTC pain meds. I then tried prolotherapy with a naturopathic doctor. I felt so hopeless but nothing helped.

Two things helped me the most:

1) a splint to hold my foot in the flexed position. I sleep in this 4-6 hours a night (I usually take it off at some point because it's bothering me). My podiatrist prescribed this but I've seen Walgreens now sells something similar.

2) FIT FLOPS. Fit Flops have helped the most. I have found so much relief from them! I've only had them since last September and I've been battling the PF for about 2 years.

I also try not to go barefoot to much. Today I was cooking barefoot on our tile floor and my foot started to ache, I had to go put my Fit Flops on.

If I'm not wearing Fit Flops then I'm wearing a supportive pair of running shoes. That's pretty much my new shoe philosophy. :)

Good luck!

Me too on EVERYTHING she said. My experience mimics hers. Just got myself a set of Fit Flop knock offs.

I got my latest bout of PF from running, btw. But I've always had rubbish feet.

The splint is ugly, awkward, and uncomfortable but it works.

I think my comments are on the linked thread, I just want to reiterate that maintaining a proper weight makes all the difference in the world. I took off 15 pounds and my symptoms practically disappeared.

I agree. Weight Watchers and Keen have been the perfect combination for me!! Costly but probably cheaper and better for me than the doctor visits;)