Menu

Starting today I will be living Everyone Loves Raymond

We often wonder, are my in-laws more like the Costanzas or the Barones? We settled on the Barones because they are Italian, but truthfully it could go either way. While they won't be just across the street, they will be only 3 miles down the road.

Think of me. :001_unsure:

my m-i-l, half Italian, half Irish, wanted us to buy a condo within a few blocks of her home. At the time hubby's older brother, over 30yrs old, was STILL living at home with his folks (hubby had been , too, until I rescued him!).

HUBBY moved us first to Chicago, then Elgin - in each case almost an hour away. Even he did not want to be too close. Have fun!:D

Ahhhhhhh. Well I think it's time for you to read my sig line, Karen! :D

Okay, I'm so out of it. I don't watch television much. I know what show you're talking about, but I've never really watched it. I have wondered about your sig. line for quite some time now. Can you explain to me what it means? Thanks!

Okay, I'm so out of it. I don't watch television much. I know what show you're talking about, but I've never really watched it. I have wondered about your sig. line for quite some time now. Can you explain to me what it means? Thanks!

Sure, I explained it here last night. :001_smile:

Only we lived WITH my in-laws! After about a year, I could no longer watch Raymond. It made me cry...it was too much like my life.

Thankfully it did not ruin our relationship and we still live in the same town...although not in walking distance :D.

We often wonder, are my in-laws more like the Costanzas or the Barones? We settled on the Barones because they are Italian, but truthfully it could go either way. While they won't be just across the street, they will be only 3 miles down the road.

Karen, I would've loved to live close to in-laws but if they are like the Costanzas or the Barones all I can say is:

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim

- Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)

Sorry I couldn't resist:001_smile:

Good luck to all of you. ;)

Oh my heavens, I hate that show. My ex MIL is the extremist, fundamental, hyper-religious version of Marie. Instead of everything she does being out of "love" it's because the Holy Spirit "told" her to (snoop, make nasty comments about my son's race, on and on).

I shudder for you. :grouphug:

You have my sympathies. I think I'd rather have the Barones than the Costanzas. Surely they're not that bad, right? Maybe she'll just cook a lot and not bother you too much.

Yeah, right! Poor Karen!

She doesn't cook much anymore. It's the yelling that gets to me. Recent phone conversation:

Karen: Hi MIL, do you need me to do anything to help you get ready for the move? Bring boxes?

MIL: Bring boxes? Oh that would be good.

FIL (in the background): I'll get boxes, she doesn't need to drive all the way here.

MIL (yelling at FIL): WHERE ARE YOU GONNA GET BOXES? WE NEED TO START PACKING.

FIL: I CAN GET THEM. COME ON WILL YA.

MIL: I DON'T NEED THIS, I'VE GOT HIGHBLOODPRESSURE (one word) I DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THIS.

FIL: I'LL GET MY FAMILY TO HELP.

MIL: YOUR FAMILY? YOUR FAMILY? THEY GAVE ME CANCER ALL THOSE YEARS AGO. YOUR FAMILY.

Karen: I'll have dh to call you to see if you need anything.

MIL: Okay dear. Bye.

My mil used to live part of the year with us and part in Jerusalem. When she would come here she would kosher my kitchen, we would eat kosher while she was with us, and the kitchen was totally of limits to us in case we mixed up pots and pans, ect..... We kept color coded boxes and boxes of dishes and small kitchen appliances for meat, parv, and dairy in the garage when she was not with us.

She got tired of koshering my kitchen and worrying about us messing up the kitchen and dekoshering it and bought this house which was 3 house down from our old house. It was nicer once she bought this house because we could be with her on Holidays that our house would never have lent itself to like Passover and she was calmer because she could keep the house just like she wanted it with worrying about us accidental messing it up :001_huh:

When she would come here she would kosher my kitchen

Oh, dear, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that :willy_nilly: I'm just recovering from a visit from my f-i-l and his wife. Yeah, like one m-i-l isn't enough, now I have a step-mother-in-law, as well - and they're both Russian, and they both clean like super-freaks. I've had 2 weeks of being told what to use, what not to use, what's wrong with every cooking utensil in my kitchen and so on. Aaaaaargh................! Anyway, just wanted to let you know I feel your pain :grouphug: :lol:

I have a much better relationship with my in-laws since we moved farther away (not too far - just a 1/2 hour drive). It was only 10 min away. And they had a key. And they used it - all the time - without warning! I would come home from grocery shopping to have my m-i-l drop by with 6 bags of groceries that I didn't need and couldn't fit in my cabinets etc. It never occurred to her to ask before she tried to "help". One day she called to tell me that she had dinner ready for my husband. I replied, "That's nice. So do I." He did not go over there for supper - and I stewed and felt guilty at the same time! My dh pointed out that her helping was a form of manipulation. I'm so glad that I didn't have to point that out to him!