Menu

Best acne fighting cleansers, creams, gels..etc

I need advice on what to get ds for his acne. He has eczema so his skin can become very, very dry.

We have tried to use the honey, but he doesn't like sitting for 15mins, so he doesn't use it.

My son has some acne and if he wanted to do anything, we'd probably go the acne.org route -- check out their regimen and reviews. The basis is a benzoyl peroxide product, but there's more to it than that.

I agree about acne.org. It wasn't enough for my daughters, who do not have eczema, so we went ahead and got a prescription to go with the regiment, but it fit the criteria that doctor suggested to go with the prescription.

Try the dairy!

The honey doesn't need to sit. Ground oatmeal is awesome. You just grind it in the blender. I keep a jar by the shower. When we get in we take a palm full. Add a bit of water when you get in. Use it to scrub any problem areas. Face, back, chest...it's amazing. You can add honey to this as well. If you want to mix it up first it needs to be kept in the fridge.

Please Please take your child to a dermotologist.

I look at my college boy's face today and it makes me sad that we waited so long to take him in. he will have scars on his face for the rest of his life now.

There ar some forms of acne that can not be fixed by over the counter stuff.

Try the dairy!

Our whole family went dairy free for almost seven weeks. Wouldn't that be long enough to see some difference if it was going to make a difference? It didn't change a thing after 7 weeks.

I've experienced moderate success with apple cider vinegar used as a toner (diluted with water, I don't recall the ratio though); however, if your child's acne is bothersome I urge you take him to a dermatologist. Severe acne can be devastating to one's self esteem.

The best thing I've ever, ever used is Retin-A micro. It makes a night-and-day difference in my complexion. You need a prescription to get it.

I have oily, acne-prone skin that is also pretty sensitive and I've had good success with a Clinique toner, also with a homemade version described in this thread.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169323&highlight=skin

The problem with teen guys is getting them to comply with thre treatment--far more than with girls our derm says. I had a number of OTC products for mine, and he used them for a while then would quit because he wasn't seeing results. It did finally get bad enough I took him to a dermatologist and when he started seeing more noticable results he got on board. When we decide to back down to OTC treatments again, I think he'll be far more apt to comply now that he sees what a difference clear skin makes for him.

Please Please take your child to a dermotologist.

I look at my college boy's face today and it makes me sad that we waited so long to take him in. he will have scars on his face for the rest of his life now.

There ar some forms of acne that can not be fixed by over the counter stuff.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I agree with the suggestion to (if you have insurance) go see a dermatologist.

My son (only a ten year-old -- poor guy) went from having a lot of painful acne to now having none. None. Even the scars are gone.

He uses a basic benzoyl peroxide wash and topical antibiotic in the mornings, and applies a retin-A cream at night. We call it the miracle cream.

For him there have been no side-effects.

I don't know if this regimen would be advisable for a child with very dry skin -- but a dermatologist would.

Good luck! It's hard to see your child struggle with acne. I hope you find something that will help your son.