Menu

Any new Latin suggestions?

Karenciavo

My youngest, soon to be 8, is finishing up Latina Christiana I and Minimus I. I'm not planning on moving on to LCII. I've used Latin for Children for so long I'm a little tired of it. Not that's there's anything wrong with it, it's just that I've used it with my oldest two for 3 years and then I tutored a few children through LFCA and LFCB and I think I'm ready for some new blood. What else is out there for the grammar stage?

Thanks. :001_smile:

My youngest, soon to be 8, is finishing up Latina Christiana I and Minimus I. I'm not planning on moving on to LCII. I've used Latin for Children for so long I'm a little tired of it. Not that's there's anything wrong with it, it's just that I've used it with my oldest two for 3 years and then I tutored a few children through LFCA and LFCB and I think I'm ready for some new blood. What else is out there for the grammar stage?

Thanks. :001_smile:

Since you're finishing up LCI, have you looked at MP's FFL?

I have no idea how much grammar he'd know already from LC and Minimus, but we (my 7 and 9 y.o.'s) love Getting Started With Latin, which requires no prior knowledge, is heavy on grammar and translation, and adds only one new word per lesson. When we're finished, we're moving on to Henle I (First Form Latin was a close second). In your situation, I'd find First Form to be rather tempting. It was my understanding that it did not move particularly fast. In fact, isn't the current recommendation from Memoria Press to move on to First Form after LC I?

Lots of people here also seem to like So You Really Want to Learn Latin by Galore. I haven't used it, and like Wapiti, we used GSWL (I didn't like Minimus, PM or LC and unfortunately bought them all before I found GSWL) and DD who was 4 at that time, really loved it. You can take one word per day with 10 practice sentences, or 5 words a day for an older child, thus finishing the book within months. We're using Henle now but considering supplementing with SYRWTL Latin for a change. I will go back to Minimus for fun after DD gets to the conjugations in Henle.

Edited by crazyforlatin

Most children are not ready for Latin Prep until they are at least nine, and for SY Latin until eleven or more.

Laura

Yes, I looked through it. He's got a lot of vocabulary down and all the grammar in LCI and Minimus which really isn't all that much. Some of the grammar in Latin Prep would be too much I think. Out of all the curricula available LFC is the right fit, a bit more challenging than LC with review to cement concepts. I might just have to suck it up. Maybe I'll add Minimus Secundus. He loves Minimus (mini rant: it makes no sense that the Minimus Store has adult and baby Minimus t-shirts, but no kid sizes :glare:)

Maybe I'll add Minimus Secundus. He loves Minimus

Calvin and I loved Minimus but not Secundus. The latter book just took us into too much vocabulary and unexplained grammar. We started to wallow. This might not happen to you as you are doing some grammar-based work as well, but it's something to watch out for.

Best wishes

Laura

I'm at the same place you are, Karen. Finishing up LCI and not sure I want to do LC II (though I have it), but wanting to wait another year or two before going on to First Form. And I'm sure I want to use First Form and that progression to Henle. We've never used LFC, would A and B be a good levels to fit between LC I and First Form?

Most children are not ready for Latin Prep until they are at least nine, and for SY Latin until eleven or more.

Laura

Thanks Laura for clarifying. I meant Latin Prep, for younger kids, also by Galore. I got mixed up with SYRWTL Spanish and French, which I may also use soon. We'll supplement Henle with Latin Prep.

Karen,

So why do you think sticking with LFC is the right choice? I'm asking because I'm vacillating between LFC, LC and LL for teaching to my students at my home school co-op. My students are fairly advanced second and third graders. I'm wondering, based on your experience, which you would choose? We used Minimus this year and I want something that focusses on grammar a bit more--although I may still use it as a "reader."

Thanks for any input you may have.

Latin is killing me. We haven't even started yet, and it's killing me. I had planned to use LfC this coming year (dd will be in third grade), but I decided to spend some extra time on grammar and writing first. I have LfC A, and as much as I want to love it, I don't. I think it moves too fast, and I feel like it has a somewhat scattershot approach. I'm on the hunt for something different, assuming that we will start Latin in 6th grade. I've looked at Logos, Great Latin Adventure, Latin Bridge/Road, Latin Prep ... I have no idea what to do, and I should probably wait until my dd is finishing up 5th grade before I try to decide. It's driving me nuts.

For a long time I wasn't planning to start Latin until middle school because I didn't think younger kids would benefit that much from it. Then I decided that the earlier the exposure, the better. Then I swung back to, "Why stress over it now when it will be easier to learn after a better grammar grounding?" But I am still stressing. I think Latin is the thing that has caused me more angst than anything else about homeschooling.

Tara

For a long time I wasn't planning to start Latin until middle school because I didn't think younger kids would benefit that much from it. Then I decided that the earlier the exposure, the better. Then I swung back to, "Why stress over it now when it will be easier to learn after a better grammar grounding?" But I am still stressing. I think Latin is the thing that has caused me more angst than anything else about homeschooling.

Tara

I'm right there with you. Planning for Latin is killing me as well. We are finishing Prima Latina this year, and I was SO excited by the prospect of Karen @ Lone Pine's Stellae class being offered, that I FINALLY stopped stressing. Then she emailed to say it may not be offered...and here I am super stressing again. I'm currently planning to continue into LC1, but I'm not crazy about the idea (not sure why). I'm also not crazy about LFC. I'm concerned with all the supposed errors of LL. Logos looks interesting, but with no reviews it's hard to really tell. I have Latin: Book One, but I know it is still way too much for my dd. I know I'm making this into a much bigger deal than it should be...

Karen, I'll be very interested to see which direction you do take. I'm sure you'll have a much better idea after your convention. GLA has intrigued me as well, so I'd love to hear what you think of it once you've looked it over. Hope you find the perfect thing (and then tell me what it is so I can use it too :001_smile:).

Having purchased 4 different Latin curriculums and not making any progress (because I couldn't sit still long enough to figure it out), we tried Rosetta Stone Latin and my son loves it! Oh, and its so easy on Mom!:D Its given me the courage to tackle the other curriculums, especially since he is enjoying his first experience with Latin.

I'm right there with you. Planning for Latin is killing me as well. We are finishing Prima Latina this year, and I was SO excited by the prospect of Karen @ Lone Pine's Stellae class being offered, that I FINALLY stopped stressing. Then she emailed to say it may not be offered...and here I am super stressing again. I'm currently planning to continue into LC1, but I'm not crazy about the idea (not sure why). I'm also not crazy about LFC. I'm concerned with all the supposed errors of LL. Logos looks interesting, but with no reviews it's hard to really tell. I have Latin: Book One, but I know it is still way too much for my dd. I know I'm making this into a much bigger deal than it should be...

Karen, I'll be very interested to see which direction you do take. I'm sure you'll have a much better idea after your convention. GLA has intrigued me as well, so I'd love to hear what you think of it once you've looked it over. Hope you find the perfect thing (and then tell me what it is so I can use it too :001_smile:).

We're on the notification list of LonePine Classical's online class, too! ;) Until then, I'm trying to decide what to do after LL1. Although I might have been convinced to continue on with LL2 after this thread. Since LL2 is almost done (one full chapter, plus some history & derivative stuff left to do), then hopefully by September when we'd need it, it will be completed and Ms. Drown will have started working on the errors! *fingers crossed* I'll just have to cross that bridge when we get there, I guess.

I, too, love the looks of Great Latin Adventure, and if we were just starting out with Latin in 4th, 5th or 6th grade, I would definitely go that route.

There's also Logos Latin.

I saw this at the Cincy homeschool conference. Not sure how many levels they have yet and whether they have one that would work after LCI. We've been using GSWL and I wasn't sure my ds would like the change in approach. I think Logos Latin is more grammar-stage-ish. (I'm going by a vague memory tainted by the overstimulation of an entire homeschool conference :D)

There's also Logos Latin.

This looks interesting. I like the way derivatives are studied. I like that students are required to translate from both Latin to English and English to Latin. I don't like that all the principal parts of the verbs aren't listed. I wish they included some kind of ongoing story involving Iulius, Iulia, and Saxum.

Karen,

So why do you think sticking with LFC is the right choice? I'm asking because I'm vacillating between LFC, LC and LL for teaching to my students at my home school co-op. My students are fairly advanced second and third graders. I'm wondering, based on your experience, which you would choose? We used Minimus this year and I want something that focusses on grammar a bit more--although I may still use it as a "reader."

Thanks for any input you may have.

Latina Christiana does not have enough translating for my tastes. That's their philosophy (get the grammar down cold then translate) and it works well for many people. I've never seen LL in person, it looks similar to LFC as far as Latin content goes, the history readings are a nice addition. On the one hand LL seems like it has more fun extras for a co-op but on the other hand it will be a much steeper price for those attending since I believe one can only make copies for their immediate family.

LFC will allow my son to expand on what he's learned already, for example he knows the 1st and 2nd conjugations of verbs and with LFC he will learn the other three principal parts. I will need to add in something to keep it "lively" if I do use it. Secundus would probably fill that role, although I am cautious after Laura's experience. I think I've heard that kind of thing before too.

Is Abbeyej still around? Maybe she could weigh in too.

Latina Christiana does not have enough translating for my tastes. That's their philosophy (get the grammar down cold then translate) and it works well for many people.

I'm so relieved to hear you say this. I have had a hard time finding a grammar stage Latin program I like for this very reason. I've been using GSWL (which of course wouldn't work for someone who has already had LC), but now I don't know where to go next. My oldest can try Latin Prep, but my 2nd ds is likely too young for it. Anyway, I don't have any answers, just appreciation :)

Thank you for the responses thus far. I think FFL would move too fast for him, but thanks for reminding me about that one. Do you use LL Jugglin'5? I started skimming through that oldie, but goodie Latin: Book One, maybe I'll use that.

Yes, I have taught Lively Latin for two years at my co-op. My own 6th grader is halfway through Book 2. We plan to go on to Latin Alive in the fall, after finishing as much of Book 2 as we can over the summer.

• 2 months later...

Hi

You might find this new audio visual course useful - it is grammar intensive, but, unlike any other course for children, it is totally in Latin. Even the grammar is taught in Latin.

The course uses pictures, actions, and objects, and a sleepy dinosaur.

It is a very new course, and engages the listener is producing Latin, as well as listening. There are frequent declension 'tests' and so on, scattered through the lessons.

The course is free. Although not designed specifically for children, because it uses no English, only Latin, children should have no trouble with it. Parents who have no Latin can easily listen along with the course, and ask the questions (in Latin) from the lessons to their children, and vice versa, or just use the recorded lessons as prompts. 'Grammar' lessons are short, and are interspersed with dialogue with the dinosaur.

http://www.youtube.com/user/evan1965