Menu

Is my daughter learning? Is this normal? How do I know? Advice please?

I need some advice. I have 3 kids. Eldest is 10, extremely bright, reads extensively, remembers anything he ever heard or read. Teaching him is a breeze. He aced his standardized tests.

Next comes DD, almost 8. Totally different. Terrible spelling. She doesn't remember anything. I have asked her to remember one date, 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. She can't remember it a week afterwards. She listens to me read, but she doesn't recall a lot. She gets the main idea, but she won't remember details. I am guessing this is more normal than my son, who remembers EVERYTHING. But to me, it seems scary. I feel like nothing is retained. We learned nouns and verbs this year, but when asked about it, she still gets confused. If we reteach it on the spot, she gets it, but it seems like it doesn't stick for long, she needs to be reminded. I plan to start her back in First Language Lessons for the WTM (we were using Rod & Staff 2). I feel awful moving her back into first grade material, when she is suppsoed to be going into 3rd. Her spelling is awful, so we are starting back with All About Spelling level 1. We had used SWO A and then Seq Spelling, neither seem to help). In math, she is doing well with BJU 2, she is about halfway through. History and science, she is basically just along for the ride- we're using SL core 3 this summer, in the hopes that reading a ton will help her. She is reading independently. She likes reading, but she doesnt devour everything like her bro, which is fine. She can memorize Bible verses alright.

ANyway, I want to gauge how she is learning. I wonder how she will do on a standardized test, she is required to take one next year for 3rd grade. I guess I just am anxious to know where she stands, whether she really is behind, or if my perception is skewed bc her bro is above average. What would you do to gauge? Order a standardized test to do at home? How would you help this child? I have an almost 3yo, too...wish I hd more time to devote to DD, but the 3yo makes havoc constantly! :-) Help! Advice? Thoughts?

For me, it was important to get educational testing done through the local public school (it is free and thorough) in order to have an idea of how my child is functioning academically, what his strengths and weaknesses are and how I can help him to learn. Perhaps you have something like that available to you. It may reassure you that there are not problems or, if there are, it will be helpful to determine what these are at a young age when they are most easily addressed.

Edited by texasmama

Sounds normal to me. She is very young and grammar can seem very abstract to many dc; it's something that is taught every.single.year because it needs to be so it is instilled in dcs minds. I wouldn't stress it. Keep plowing forward and you'll see it click some time. I have a dd just that way...all of a sudden, in the end of 5th grade, LA came alive...she's now acing her Latin/Grammar program.

You may try things like music to aid in memorization as that will work wonders for some dc. Also, movement. You may just have totally different learning styles on your hands...I sure do! #1 needs movement and music, #2 simply needs to read it!

Keep watching, but give her, and you, some time b4 you get too concerned. Keep plugging away. If by the end of 5th she still doesn't know these things, then I'd be worried. Try some new methods of instruction, too and see if they make a difference.

Edited to say: Ds is finishing 3rd grade now. This is a message of hope ;)

Ds has shown remarkable growth with spelling this year. We use SWO (I'm not overly impressed with it, but I really hate changing things). I don't believe it's the program, rather that he's reached a level of mental maturity where spelling makes sense. Also, he's read so much that I think the spelling rules are soaking in that way too (or at least I hope).

For his mental oopsies (one day he's an elephant the next he can't remember the silliest things), I've found that memory work, narration and dictation have helped a great deal. He needs to exercise his long and short term memory and I believe that's helped a lot. Also, for his reading notebook he now has to chronicle his reading at least once a week. Many of the books he reads go longer than a week and this way he has something to jog his memory. My thought being, if he's going to have my memory issues, then he'll need to learn how to work around it. Copious notes help, but for now just writing down some memories joggers work.

Finally, if you're worried about testing, then go ahead and give her a practice run this year. You can order the test and have it evaluated, without having to turn in the results. It'll give you an idea of where you stand. There's a chance that she may not need to go all the way back to square one.

:grouphug:

Edited by lionfamily1999

I need some advice. I have 3 kids. Eldest is 10, extremely bright, reads extensively, remembers anything he ever heard or read. Teaching him is a breeze. He aced his standardized tests.

Next comes DD, almost 8. Totally different. Terrible spelling. She doesn't remember anything. I have asked her to remember one date, 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. She can't remember it a week afterwards. She listens to me read, but she doesn't recall a lot. She gets the main idea, but she won't remember details. I am guessing this is more normal than my son, who remembers EVERYTHING. But to me, it seems scary. I feel like nothing is retained. We learned nouns and verbs this year, but when asked about it, she still gets confused. If we reteach it on the spot, she gets it, but it seems like it doesn't stick for long, she needs to be reminded. I plan to start her back in First Language Lessons for the WTM (we were using Rod & Staff 2). I feel awful moving her back into first grade material, when she is suppsoed to be going into 3rd. Her spelling is awful, so we are starting back with All About Spelling level 1. We had used SWO A and then Seq Spelling, neither seem to help). In math, she is doing well with BJU 2, she is about halfway through. History and science, she is basically just along for the ride- we're using SL core 3 this summer, in the hopes that reading a ton will help her. She is reading independently. She likes reading, but she doesnt devour everything like her bro, which is fine. She can memorize Bible verses alright.

ANyway, I want to gauge how she is learning. I wonder how she will do on a standardized test, she is required to take one next year for 3rd grade. I guess I just am anxious to know where she stands, whether she really is behind, or if my perception is skewed bc her bro is above average. What would you do to gauge? Order a standardized test to do at home? How would you help this child? I have an almost 3yo, too...wish I hd more time to devote to DD, but the 3yo makes havoc constantly! :-) Help! Advice? Thoughts?

Wow - I have no advice for you, but you just perfectly described my girls. My 9 yo is like your son and my 7 yo, like your dd. We had to take standardized tests in March and I'm interested to see how she fared. Looking forward to reading other replies.

Sounds like your son is a left brain learner and your dd a right brain - visual spatial . I have one of each and try to teach according with their learning styles.

Have you looked at this site?

http://www.custom-homeschool-curriculum.com/visual-spatial-learners.html

This is exactly what I thought as I read your post! FWIW, when all of my children were evaluated by our private school for gifted children, the pyschologist stated that children with the same biological parentage are typically within 10 iq points of each other. My husband is a pg VSL.... his testing and academic performance during the elementary years was abysmal. Teachers are accustomed to the ASL, and classrooms are typically tailored to that learning style as are some tests. Needless to say, my first response with your daughter would be to ascertain whether she is VSL.

Next comes DD, almost 8. Totally different. Terrible spelling. She doesn't remember anything. I have asked her to remember one date, 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. She can't remember it a week afterwards. She listens to me read, but she doesn't recall a lot. She gets the main idea, but she won't remember details.

This sounds like she may be a visual/spatial learner, not an auditory one. My DS is like this ~ he remembers 90% of what he sees, about 20% of what he reads, and almost nothing of what he hears. Do you have to repeat yourself a lot? Do you tell her something, and half an hour later she insists you never told her that, or says she didn't "hear" you? Does she have trouble with organization and time management? Does she get the "big picture" but miss the details? Does she learn better if the information is presented from whole-to-parts rather than incremental drill & repetition?

Switching to AAS for spelling is a good plan. I would try to find out what kind of learner your DD is, then tailor your other subjects to her learning style. My DS is very visual/spatial, so we use a LOT of video lectures, documentaries, and hands-on activities for history and science. If he has to read something, I encourage him to pause and "take a picture" of the images in his head to help him recall. Try having your daughter draw a picture of a ship, with the number 1492 incorporated into the sails, with Columbus looking out over a blue ocean and see if that helps her retain it.

Google "visual-spatial learner" and see if the characteristics fit your DD. If she is a VSL, changing the way you teach may bring dramatic improvements.

Jackie

I was laughing reading your post because you just described my oldest two. :lol: RELAX! I had the same concerns that you had when they went for their (3rd grade & 5th grade) testing last year. My 2nd dd didn't have much formal grammar due to our focus on phonics (she was a late reader). She did score low in the LA department (just a tad below average) but I am not worried because I know she will show improvement when she is tested for 5th grade next year. The testing is just a gauge on how your children are learning. They do not expect your children to be above average in all subjects (although we as mothers might expect if of our own children ;) ) As long as she shows improvement which she will after 2 more years of grammar that is the important thing. There is a reason Grammar is taught for 12 years. :D

I also have a 9yo who can't seem to remember anything. It's very frustrating. We also use AASpelling and this is definitely the spelling program for him (as of now). I tried a program that just had him memorize spelling words and it was pointless. He needs to be given a reason or a rule and review it over and over. We use Horizons math and it helps how they have him dabble with several different types of activities every day so he doesn't have much time to forget material. He also needs to be in an area where there are no distractions. Once I have settled him down peacefully in a far away bedroom that is usually very quiet, he is able to think more clearly.

I have 6yo twins who remember things alot better though.

I'm anxious to hear from others with experience in this situation. :lurk5:

Sounds just like my dd. :grouphug: You're right...it is definitely scary at times! I waver back and forth between taking a relaxed approach, letting her mature a little bit more before I get worried, and wanting to take care of it ALL RIGHT NOW! (As if I can somehow magically conjure up success. :rolleyes:)

Just some random thoughts...

My dd can remember every detail of an event that happened when she was three, but can't remember the difference between a noun and a verb even though we've been through FLL 1 and 2 and are currently in Shurley. Shurley seems to have helped some. For my dd, it's all about context. Anything that seems abstract or that she isn't able to connect to some information that she already has solidified in her brain, she absolutely does not get (even though she's a brilliantly deep thinker, and makes amazing connections). So, I have interpreted this in part as having difficulty with short term memory. I see my job as teacher for her as trying to forge connections between what I know she has down and what the new information is, as well as doing whatever I can to get things over from short-term memory into her long-term memory. I'm currently trying a mixture of mastery versus spiral programs to see which works best--which method most painlessly gets things into that long-term memory bank. I have a feeling it will be constant trial and error every year, rather than a "Eureka!" type of thing.

As for reading, she wasn't really that much of a reader until just after Christmas. When I decided to drop phonics with her (rules were going in one ear and out the other yet I discovered she was reading whole books on a near-6th grade level), my compromise with myself was that I wanted to get her reading lots and lots! I pulled out all the young reader books that we had (2nd-4th grade reading level--she was intimidated by little words), put them in order from easiest to hardest and gave her a stack of books. She was required to read for 30 minutes a day during her rest time from that stack, and for every book she read she got a sticker on her Braum's "Book Buddy" card. For every six books she read, she got a coupon for a free ice cream. I'm not big into rewards, but this got her started. Within a couple of weeks, she started bringing the books out of rest time to finish on her own. Now she's as bad as dh and me--carrying books around with her everywhere! We've since upped her silent reading time to 30 minutes literature, 30 minutes history (MWF) or science (TTh) living books daily, although we don't really need that requirement as she's doing it all on her own. This was a big success for her and for me that we both really needed!

I gave up on asking the comprehension questions from the AG from our SOTW readings. She would get so upset at herself because she couldn't remember the details, but when I asked her to narrate, she could tell me the whole story back (minus names, dates, etc.) I decided it wasn't a hill to die on, and we stopped the comprehension questions.

I've been doing very simple dictation with her because she cannot hold more than a couple of words in her head at one time. I think it's an important skill to work on. She's also a terrible speller but Wheeler's speller has been excellent for her--Spelling by patterns, simple studied dictation, copywork, learning to visualize words in her mind and spelling them out loud. I also make sure she can spell them forwards and backwards before I dictate them to her, an idea I got from Right-Brain Learners in a Left-Brain World. I guess I should mention that my dd is a visual-spatial learner and possibly has stealth dyslexia, although I don't think what you've described necessarily dictates dyslexia, but just so you know where I'm coming from.

Again, just some random thoughts as I read your post. I apologize that this has been long and rambling, :001_huh: but maybe something in it will help...

I think a big part is maturity and learning style together. My DD was behind until 3rd grade, right around 9 things just seemed to click with her. I remember being the same way myself at that age. I had to find a REASON to like learning. It started with reading confidence. I was very behind in 2nd grade reading, when my grandfather heard this he began taking me to the bookstore everytime I saw him. It was our special time :) He let me pick the books I wanted...I think it was The Babysitters Club." ;) Eventually, I loved the stories so much I didn't realize I was soaring thru reading levels. They tested me the next year in 4th drade and I was reading at a college level!!!!

I was always gifted, but I was trapped by my lack of reading skills. The kiddy type books did not interest me...they bored me. My imagination was a whole lot more fun!!!! I drifted and wandered.

It sounds like others can give you a lot more concrete advice on learning styles and such...great things!!!! I just wanted to give you a more organic view what happened with me.

Sounds normal to me.You may try things like music to aid in memorization as that will work wonders for some dc. Also, movement. You may just have totally different learning styles on your hands...I sure do! #1 needs movement and music, #2 simply needs to read it!

:iagree: I have one EXTREMELY music oriented! ANYTHING put to music I am finding out, he learns. He is 5 and told me what an interjunction is (interjection LOL) because it was set to music! Try it, you might be suprised!

Sounds like your son is a left brain learner and your dd a right brain - visual spatial . I have one of each and try to teach according with their learning styles.

Have you looked at this site?

http://www.custom-homeschool-curriculum.com/visual-spatial-learners.html

Exactly what jumped out to me, too, from the original post, that the DD sounds like a visual spatial learner (VSL)! I have one of each, too, with the VSL coming second. Here is an online "quiz" to determine if your child is VSL or not: http://www.visualspatial.org/parents.htm

Here are some resources to look for in your library:

- "100 Top Picks For Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing The Right Curriculum And Approach For Your Child's Learning Style" (Cathy Duffy)

Specific program recommendations for specific learning types.

- Unicorns Are Real: A Right Brained Approach to Learning (Barbara Meister Vitale)

Specific at-home diagnostic tests and learning strategies for elementary ages.

- "Upside Down Brilliance: The Visual Spatial Child" (Linda Silverman)

Detailed overview of visual-spatial and auditory-sequential brains

for intaking/processing information.

- Right Brained Children in a Left Brained World" (Jeffrey Freed)

Specific learning strategies for jr./sr. high ages.

- "How They Learn" and "Every Child Can Succeed" (Cynthia Tobias)

(First book is an overview to learning types. Second book gives learning environment strategies, esp. for jr./sr. high ages.)

- "How to Get Your Child Off The Refrigerator and onto Learning" (Carol Barnier)

Specific learning strategies for very active, kinetic, or challenged learning styles.

And here is a "quick checklist" that may be of help:

LEARNING STYLE = how a person most easily/naturally/usually TAKES IN information.

- kinesthetic = through touching/manipulating and hands-on

- auditory = through hearing it

- visual = through seeing it

BRAIN DOMINANCE = how a person PROCESSES that information in the brain.

- LEFT hemisphere dominance = abstract, sequential, understands the individual parts which leads to adding up to "the big picture"

- RIGHT hemisphere dominance = concrete, random, intuitively sees the big picture first and then begins to understand the parts that add up to it

LEARNING STYLES

KINESTHETIC (Do-ers/Touchers)

Kinesthetic Traits:

- favors sports and building

- high energy

- loves to touch

- uses body when antsy

- in constant motion

- dislikes sitting long

- uses fingers to count

- usually has rumpled clothes

- has difficulty following oral directions

Kinesthetic Helps:

- math manipulatives

- manipulatives

- allow touching

- take many breaks

- use hands-on activities

- divide chores up

- allow building/construction

AUDITORY (Talkers/Listeners)

Auditory Traits:

- remembers commercials

- uses rhyming to remember

- talks aloud doing math

- a better listener than reader

- reads aloud

- has difficulty reading maps

- very verbal

- likes to talk to people

Auditory Helps:

- make audiotapes (esp. for spelling)

- set learning to music

- talk them through writing a paper

- read aloud

- study groups

- have a quiet place for study/learning

- watch videos (for audio narration)

VISUAL (Watchers)

Visual Traits:

- assemble by pictures

- close eyes to memorize

- observant

- good with puzzles

- vivid imagination

- looks neat

- better reader than listener

- rarely volunteers answers

- takes many notes

- watches/learns from TV

Visual Helps:

- illustrate everything

- make a mind-map (visual plan) for writing

- use post-it notes to organize

- highlight different topics in different colors

- write down chores

- use transparency sheets to reduce glare

"Hook" your child's interest with their learning style strength, then present the material in all the learning styles to strengthen their weak areas and really embed the information in their brain in multiple ways, using a variety of learning styles.

BRAIN DOMINANCE

LEFT BRAIN

Left Brain Uses or is Strong with:

- analytical

- dates

- numbers

- taxon memory

- lists

- names

- math facts

- short term memory stored here

Left Brain Takes In Information By:

- Words

- the Familiar

- Sequential

- Listens

- is a Joiner

- Step-by-Step

- Routine

- Organized

- Linear Thinking

- Writing/Talking

- Detailed

- Focused

RIGHT BRAIN

Right Brain Uses or is Strong with:

- spatial

- color

- music

- creativity

- design

- feelings

- storytelling

- hands-on

- long-term memory stored here

Right Brain Takes In Information By:

- pictures

- the new

- is random

- particpates

- is independant

- demonstrations

- is impulsive

- creative

- 3-D thinking

- drawing

- oblivious to detail

- highly distractable

Lori,

A little hijack...

Your chart is very helpful. I'm still trying to figure out the whole VSL/dysexia/2E thing in my dd. Are you saying that one can be a strongly auditory learner, but still be "right-brained?" Or are they mutually exclusive?

Honestly, it is nearly impossible for me to answer the questions in these surveys for a 7 year old. I really don't know how she learns! I only know she isn't getting things the way my son did. I think all this is helpful in that it makes me realize I need to learn more about different learning styles and try different methods with her to see what will work. Maybe then, I could answer some of these quiz questions!

I am encouraged that so many others seem to have this same 1st child-2nd child dilemma. I am guessing it is more likely that it is a learning style issue instead of a learning disability.

I also am encouraged that she is progressing in reading and math. I will be working more on having her summarize what I read aloud, instead of asking for answers. I also think I will start having her draw and write summaries, to help her practice listening for comprehension. I think WWE is helping in this department, and I tried FLL today and think that might help develop memory. This has been so helpful, thanks to each one of you for your thoughts! You all have shared meaningful ideas, and I appreciate that very much!

Lori,

A little hijack...

Your chart is very helpful. I'm still trying to figure out the whole VSL/dysexia/2E thing in my dd. Are you saying that one can be a strongly auditory learner, but still be "right-brained?"

Yes. We're talking about TWO components to learning here:

- How you *take information into the brain* best/most easily is your "learning style" (hearing (auditory), seeing (visual), touching/manipulating/doing (kinetic).

- How you most naturally *process* that information once it is in the brain is your brain dominance (right brain/left brain -- or -- spatially (right)/sequentially (left))

So, those learners who are considered to be "Auditory-Spatial Learners" *take in information* best/most easily auditorally, and *process* that information in the brain globally, randomly, whole-to-parts.

The VSL is the Visual-Spatial Learner -- they take in information best/most easily *visually*, and process that information in the brain globally, randomly, whole-to-parts. The majority of the Spatial Learners tend to be VSL, but there are also ASL. :)

The "left brain" learners most frequently are Auditory-Sequential Learners -- they take in information best/most easily auditorally, and process that information in the brain sequentially, in order, parts-to-whole. Less frequent are the Visual-Sequential Learners -- they take in information best/most easily *visually*, but process that information in the brain sequentially, in order, parts-to-whole.

My understanding with these 4 broad categories that kinesthetic learners (those who *take in* information best/most easily by touching, manipulating, doing) are generally grouped in with visual learners. Linda Silverman's book "Upside Down Brilliance: The Visual-Spatial Learner" does cover the other types a bit, but focuses on the VSL.

Hope that was clear! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Yes. We're talking about TWO components to learning here:

- How you *take information into the brain* best/most easily is your "learning style" (hearing (auditory), seeing (visual), touching/manipulating/doing (kinetic).

- How you most naturally *process* that information once it is in the brain is your brain dominance (right brain/left brain -- or -- spatially (right)/sequentially (left))

So, those learners who are considered to be "Auditory-Spatial Learners" *take in information* best/most easily auditorally, and *process* that information in the brain globally, randomly, whole-to-parts.

The VSL is the Visual-Spatial Learner -- they take in information best/most easily *visually*, and process that information in the brain globally, randomly, whole-to-parts. The majority of the Spatial Learners tend to be VSL, but there are also ASL. :)

Oh my goodness!! That finally explains it! I've always known my daughter to be a *strongly* auditory learner like dh, but when I discovered the idea of the right-brained learner, it absolutely fit her to a 'T.'

I am SO NEITHER one of those--I am a "visual-sequential" person, one of the weirdos you mentioned above. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I guess that explains why I have such a hard time figuring out how to teach her! I wish that Upside-Down Learners book wasn't OOP...:glare:

Thank you so much...I feel like every tidbit I find out helps me figure out how to be a better teacher for her. Looks like I've got some googling to do...Do you know of any good resources for learning about Auditory-Spatial learners?

Sounds normal!

Mad Libs have helped cement grammar knowledge here. And, my daughter loves MCT, we did FLL and are now doing mainly MCT with an occasional concept from FLL that is not covered in MCT, she now loves grammar and begs for more, "Please, Mom, just a few more pages, I want to hear the next story."

You can give some tests if you want to know where you stand, the NRRF test is a good reading grade level test, but is normed to the late 1800's when phonics was taught well--where the grade levels should be, but a grade or two below current norms. So, a 2nd grade level on the NRRF is today's 3rd or 4th grade level, 5th is around 7th in current reading grade levels. The Wide Range test isn't as good--it's quicker and records incremental progress, but it's based on sight words and has a flat bell curve.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

And, there is also a free online spelling test, the Ayres test. Again, from early 1900's, so 1 to 2 grades below current norms, but where I think they should be for a well taught student who has completed a good phonics program.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellingtests.html

The more memory work you do, the better they seem to be able to memorize. My daughter is now much better than me at memorizing things.

Edited by ElizabethB

Do you know of any good resources for learning about Auditory-Spatial learners?

Hmm... Can't seem to find anything on Auditory-Spatial, but perhaps start with the spatial tips, and see how it goes. Below are some resources to get you started. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Chart of Visual-Spatial vs. Auditory-Sequential

"I Think in Pictures, You Teach in Worlds" -- article by Lesley Sword

While written for classroom use, this book has specific tips in teaching VSL: "Visual Spatial Learners" (Golon)

"Effective Techniques for Teaching Highly Gifted VSL" -- article by Linda Silverman

- Hoagie's Gifted Education Page

- Article and Checklist to Identify Learning Type by Leslie Sword

- Gifted Development Center: Visual Spatial Learners

- Auditory Learning (list of how they learn best)

- Auditory Learners (checklist for identifying auditory learners)

- Study Skills (techniques to help all learning styles)

• 2 weeks later...

This is what worked for my 9 year old: Spend a week or two on each part of speech. During that week, read the Grammar Tale (published by Scholastic. Get them from Scholastic, Amazon, or possibly your local teacher store. "The Noun Hound" "The Planet without Pronouns" etc.), read the Parts of Speech Tale (also by Scholastic), watch the Schoolhouse Rock video for that part of speech, read the book by Brian Cleary (What is a verb? What is an adjective? etc. I believe Scholastic also publishes those.) Buy the cheap charts for each part of speech from the teacher store... the ones that have picture examples of them. Like 20 pictures of nouns. etc. Super Duper Publications makes "fun decks" for every part of speech that have pictures of them. Edupress has photo cards of prepositions, action words, etc. Give your child visual images to put in her head for every part of speech. If you do worksheets, color code them. Decide on what color nouns will be, for instance, and forever more, use that color to underline or circle or fill in the blank for nouns (we use colored pencils when doing grammar worksheets). Pick a different color for every part of speech.

By the way, my dd hated R&S Grammar and said it was invented to torture children. So, although I liked it and thought it was thorough, it just didn't work for her at all. Honor your child's learning style. They know when something doesn't work for them.

Just as perkybunch suggested, we've been using a book suggested on this forum that has a story for each part of speech and sentence type. Here is a link to it. We love it. The child draws a picture of the person who personifies the part of speech and it really seems to help it stick!

http://www.stmichaelschool.us/sentencefamily.html

We also use shurley grammar as i think the jingles are excellent, but now that we've been doing Sentence Family, I think the kids are retaining more and making better sense of it all.