Menu

Would you please post your favorite go to dinner recipe?

homemade pizza

penne pasta with butter and parmesan

ground beef in gravy over mashed (gravy train - the onions);)

a big salad with tuna or chicken in it.

quickie swedish MBs (frozen meatballs over eggnoodles, sauce is brown gravy and sour cream)

Mine is simple. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a 13" x 9" pan. Blot the chicken dry. Spray with Pam. Liberally cover with Penzey's Sunny Spain seasoning (lemon-pepper). Bake at 350 until done. Sometimes I take the chicken out halfway through and respray with Pam and season it some more.

Remove chicken and add water to the pan and scrape the flavorsome bits from the pan bottom. Pour the water into a frying pan, add a bit of butter and squirt in some lemon juice. Reduce the sauce. Pour some over each serving of sliced chicken breast.

Serve with brown rice and a couple of veggies.

When I am extremely tired, and/or frazzled by the day's events, dinner may be polenta (cooked as thick porridge, not as a solid cut into slabs) with blueberries and [real] maple syrup.

I seriously love cooking, though !

Edited by Orthodox6

That's pretty much me every night. I dislike cooking. Here are a couple:

I keep frozen chicken tenders so that I can pull them out and cook them quickly. Then I serve either on top of salad or on top of pasta with a frozen vege (like broccoli) and olive oil/garlic with Parmesan cheese.

I am amazed at how many posts there are with the "what's for dinner" theme. :)

I'm going back through a ton of those and will find more than a few things there I'm sure.

Thanks to each of you for playing so far.

This is my go to recipe when I am hurting and I just cannot make supper--youngest ds is then in charge and he LOVES to make this simple meal!

Chicken n Dumplings in Slow Cooker

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1/2 bag of frozen veggies--whatever have on hand
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces
  • salt, pepper, other spices...

Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

I make potato soup on days I forget to get the meat out to thaw, either that or pancakes...

Cook 5-6 cut and peeled taters till fork tender. Drain out half the water and refill with milk. Fill half a jar with milk and add a few tablespoons of flour or cornstarch. Shake the jar till it is mixed well and add to the pot of taters. Stir well over medium heat till thickened. I sometimes add diced ham or real bacon bits. You can also top it with cheese.

Forgot to get the meat out so this is our supper. I'll probably make some cornbread too.

These are my quick/easy go-to meals. They aren't necessarily healthy, and not necessarily representative of how we eat all the time. :tongue_smilie: My family loves this kind of food, though I'm constantly trying to force healthier choices.

Put frozen chicken breasts in micro to thaw. When partially thawed, cube the chicken, then brown in a huge skillet. When they're almost cooked, add all the water and butter called for on the Stovetop stuffing package. When the water boils, add the stuffing mix, cover, and turn off the heat. Warm a couple of cans of green beans. Warm a can of gravy or prep a packet of gravy mix and then pour that over the stuffing & chicken.

Sloppy joes--easy if using a seasoning packet and toasting up buns that were in the freezer.

Omelettes are easy, super-fast, and I can use up odds & ends of veggies/cheeses from the fridge.

quesadillas-cheddar & monterey jack cheese, leftover chunks of chicken or beef, or avocado, or a bit of salsa. Canned refried beans if I don't have homemade on hand.

Good quality sliced roast beef from the deli, sauteed in a pan until hot, piled on a toasted sub roll and topped with a bit of sauteed onions & bell peppers, & cheese.

Taco soup-ground beef, browned in a soup pot with 1/2 chopped onion, add: 28 oz. crushed tomatoes, 2 cans beans (almost any kind) drained, 2 can of mexi-corn, 1/2 packets of taco seasoning, or homemade taco seasoning if you have it on hand. Serve with tortilla chips & a simple lettuce/tomato salad.

Stuffed baked potatoes and big salads. I try to double up on how many potatoes I bake at a time, then I use the extras to make kind of twice-baked potatoes for the next night. I usually put in chunks of ham, broccoli florets, some cheese, chopped scallions, a bit of sour cream, etc.

There are lots more meals my family loves, but they take a bit more time, and I wasn't sure if you're just looking for fast & easy, or healthier, or just well-loved recipes.

That's pretty much me every night. I dislike cooking. Here are a couple:

I keep frozen chicken tenders so that I can pull them out and cook them quickly. Then I serve either on top of salad or on top of pasta with a frozen vege (like broccoli) and olive oil/garlic with Parmesan cheese.

Yes. Whatever protein I have on-hand (chicken, leftover steak, salmon, beans) topping either some pasta or a big salad. Actually, that's dinner tonight. :)

Chili - saute some onions, peppers, jalapenos, garlic. Add a cup of beer or broth and boil down about 1/2 way. Add a 28oz can chopped tomatoes, 1 drained can black beans, 1 drained can kidney beans, couple handfuls of frozen corn, about 1TBS each cumin and chili powder, some kosher salt and a few dashes of tabasco. Simmer a short bit and serve with cheddar cheese and blue chips.

Potato Soup - chop a bunch of potatoes, a little onion, celery, garlic, some carrots; cover with water and simmer about 15 min or until it's all tender, at which point you can add your bouillon (I usually do 2-3 tsp vegetable bouillon - or I suppose you could use broth for the all of the water instead), salt and pepper. Meanwhile, melt about 5 Tbs butter. Stir in about 5 Tbs flour until bubbly, then slowly pour in about 2 1/2 c milk. Whisk that til it's thick and then mix that into the vegetables and water.

Homemade pizza is another easy go-to.

Roasted vegetables (roasted with a few herbs, olive oil and balsamic vinegar) tossed with penne and baby spinach, topped with feta and olives is another easy good one - and the one we're having tonight :). I've got some eggplant, asparagus, and grape tomatoes I need to use up before they get too ugly to eat. I'll probably add an onion and a bell pepper, too.

My dh is a chef/restauranteur, and his go-to recipe in college is now my go-to recipe when he's not around to cook. It is delicious and, believe it or not, kid friendly!! I don't have specific measurements, but it doesn't really matter. If you like meat, go meat heavy. If you like veggies, well, you know!

Roast garlic in one part butter, one part olive oil in a saucepan on med-low heat.

Add torn prosciutto and/or pancetta to the saucepan.

Meanwhile, cut up asparagus spears (I like to go heavy--it's never as much as it looks) into quarters: one cut vertical, one horizontal. Add the asparagus to the saucepan when you're done.

Boil water for pasta.

Add one part half and half, one part cream cheese to the saucepan and mix in. (but you're not making a sauce, so it should only really coat the asparagus, not make a soup of it)

Shred Emmentaller or Jarlsburg cheese and parmesan into the bottom of your serving bowl.

Add the cooked pasta and the mixture in the saucepan into the bowl and mix to let the cheese melt.

Then add a generous amount of peeled pistachios.

Don't replace any ingredients, but an addition of chicken or shrimp can be really great too!

2 that I have done since I was in middle school. Sorry no strict recipe...

Lemon-pepper chicken with pasta

sautee chicken

boil noodles

mix together with lemonpepper, sour cream.

Serve with side salad!

We call this one chicken ala-Gabriel (my aunt)

Sautee chicken cubes, mushrooms, onions, and artichoke hearts.

in same pan add sour cream and wine to make a sauce.

boil noodles.

serve over noodles top with parmesan cheese!

My family loves this kind of food, though I'm constantly trying to force healthier choices. Yeah, me too!:glare:

Put frozen chicken breasts in micro to thaw. When partially thawed, cube the chicken, then brown in a huge skillet. When they're almost cooked, add all the water and butter called for on the Stovetop stuffing package. When the water boils, add the stuffing mix, cover, and turn off the heat. Warm a couple of cans of green beans. Warm a can of gravy or prep a packet of gravy mix and then pour that over the stuffing & chicken. I've done a variety on this for years. It actually makes a decent casserole to take to a new mom too.

Sloppy joes--easy if using a seasoning packet and toasting up buns that were in the freezer. You can also quickly top a baked potato with Sloppy Joes and a little grated cheddar.

Omelettes are easy, super-fast, and I can use up odds & ends of veggies/cheeses from the fridge. Oh, yeah. Gotta love the versatile egg!

quesadillas-cheddar & monterey jack cheese, leftover chunks of chicken or beef, or avocado, or a bit of salsa. Canned refried beans if I don't have homemade on hand.

Good quality sliced roast beef from the deli, sauteed in a pan until hot, piled on a toasted sub roll and topped with a bit of sauteed onions & bell peppers, & cheese. This is a good one, made into a French Dip too. I also do a similar one with good sliced turkey, on an English Muffin, topped with cranberry sauce and cream cheese. Dip in Turkey gravy. My kids LOVE this!

Taco soup-ground beef, browned in a soup pot with 1/2 chopped onion, add: 28 oz. crushed tomatoes, 2 cans beans (almost any kind) drained, 2 can of mexi-corn, 1/2 packets of taco seasoning, or homemade taco seasoning if you have it on hand. Serve with tortilla chips & a simple lettuce/tomato salad.

Stuffed baked potatoes and big salads. I try to double up on how many potatoes I bake at a time, then I use the extras to make kind of twice-baked potatoes for the next night. I usually put in chunks of ham, broccoli florets, some cheese, chopped scallions, a bit of sour cream, etc. See topping with Sloppy Joes above.:D

Julie, or families must have similar taste buds! I too wish I could get them to eat better so I am resorting to Sneaky Chef tactics!!

Chili-can of crushed tomatoes, two cans of beans (normally pinto and black), can of corn, ground beef, chipotle and chili seasoning, onions chopped, and simmer in the crockpot for two hours

Crockpot rotisserie- whole chicken, season to taste, simmer 3 hours and serve with veg and stuffing , sooo easy and good

spaghetti-noodles, jar sauce and ground beef

bacon, eggs, cheese biscuits and if i'm not too lazy fruit or something healthy with it

My easy recipe that I use a lot for both family and day care....turkey or roast beef roll ups:

deli turkey or roast beef sliced thick

stove top stuffing

jar of turkey or beef gravy

make the stuffing, roll the turkey or roast beef with the stuffing inside, place in pan with gravy until heated through

Spaghetti and Meatballs is another easy fall back...we have an awesome local meat market that makes a great meatball mix so all I do is whip up tomato-basil sauce and roll the meat into meatballs

Of course my daughter's favorite is Mac N Cheese...momma's homemade

Thanks !

(That's what happens when an Aspie reads posts ! :D ) It's the difference between "go to" "dinner recipe" and "go-to-dinner" recipe !

Well, here is how my brain works. I first thought it meant going-out-to-dinner meals, as in what meals do you like to eat when you go out and could recreate at home. :tongue_smilie::confused: I need more sleep.