Menu

WWYD? Ds15's hair cut looks really bad on him...

I have always been a very stand offish parent when it comes to personal style of my kids. I let them lead the way and unless it was very offensive I leave it up to them. I really don't care if they want to die it blue! As long as it is clean and they keep it looking appropriate (I wouldn't go for a 'I don't brush or wash my hair' look) , it is their choice.

DS15 has a very, very chiseled face, he is tall and thin. He has Really fine hair, and a receding hair line (thanks dad! :0/ ). His hair is a natural platinum blonde and his hair feels like silk threads. It is sooo soft, and if you have just one hair and you roll it between your fingers, you can barely feel it.

He likes his hair a bit long. It touches his shoulders in the back and his long bangs are swooshed over to about his ear. The front is long too.

Because his hair is so fine, the longer it gets, the worse it is looking. He used to compete swimming so his hair used to just break off in his cap. He didn't have a hair cut in years but it stayed about the same length. When he quit swimming in the fall, I made him get a hair cut to cut off the damaged hair. He really hated it. It was not short but it did cut off some of the length.

Now, it has grown out again, and while it is now healthier, it just looks so thin.

I mentioned the other day about getting a trim, to make it look a bit fuller, and he pretty much refused. He would have been obedient if I pushed the cut, but I don't want it to be against his wishes.

WWYD?

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I have always been a very stand offish parent when it comes to personal style of my kids. I let them lead the way and unless it was very offensive I leave it up to them. I really don't care if they want to die it blue! As long as it is clean and they keep it looking appropriate (I wouldn't go for a 'I don't brush or wash my hair' look) , it is their choice.

DS15 has a very, very chiseled face, he is tall and thin. He has Really fine hair, and a receding hair line (thanks dad! :0/ ). His hair is a natural platinum blonde and his hair feels like silk threads. It is sooo soft, and if you have just one hair and you roll it between your fingers, you can barely feel it.

He likes his hair a bit long. It touches his shoulders in the back and his long bangs are swooshed over to about his ear. The front is long too.

Because his hair is so fine, the longer it gets, the worse it is looking. He used to compete swimming so his hair used to just break off in his cap. He didn't have a hair cut in years but it stayed about the same length. When he quit swimming in the fall, I made him get a hair cut to cut off the damaged hair. He really hated it. It was not short but it did cut off some of the length.

Now, it has grown out again, and while it is now healthier, it just looks so thin.

I mentioned the other day about getting a trim, to make it look a bit fuller, and he pretty much refused. He would have been obedient if I pushed the cut, but I don't want it to be against his wishes.

WWYD?

Advice.....yes.

I guess it depends on how the advice is given.....

'I don't suppose you've considered cutting it....'

'I guess you won't be getting any highlights any time soon...'

Or sooner or later, maybe...

'I know you want an earring, and I'm not necessarily against it, but ....'

(The way it is put often makes a difference, I guess, right?)

Take care.

How about taking him to a real hair stylist and see what the stylist suggests for him? It's only hair.

Mrs Mungo:

Often a combination of close cropping and front tufts seem to be quite popular, isn't it (and can easily be changed after a while, right).

Take care.

Mrs Mungo:

Often a combination of close cropping and front tufts seem to be quite popular, isn't it (and can easily be changed after a while, right).

Take care.

I have no idea, maybe I'm the wrong person to answer this question. I've had practically the same haircut since high school. :tongue_smilie: The boys in my community tend to have either have military-short haircuts or long, unkempt looking hair.

I have no idea, maybe I'm the wrong person to answer this question. I've had practically the same haircut since high school. :tongue_smilie: The boys in my community tend to have either have military-short haircuts or long, unkempt looking hair.

No style that's in between the two, eh?

Sometimes the stylist will suggest tufts, and trying the spikey look, sometimes the complete almost GI short style, orsometimes with blonde highlights, or whatever. Sometimes the school will have guidelines that they more or less expect to be followed. Sometimes the really short style habitually, is worn with an ear stud, if desired. Also the color of the highlights can vary.

All depends, really.

Take care.

Edited by onlyme

WWYD?

I'd look at your signature, long hair may be part of that wild ride.;) Personally, I think guys should have some say in their hair. I look at my dh, who practically has no hair, and my ds and I'm okay with longer and a little unkempt. He may not have a choice later in life, kwim. I do require he comb it.

I remember a similar cut my ds had when he was fifteen. He was determined to let his hair grow out. Funny thing is, now he keeps it fairly short.

I wouldn't force the issue. It's not worth it. I would suggest going to a stylist to keep it shaped though. They can tip the ends and cut it so that it lays nicer without cutting off length.

I remember a similar cut my ds had when he was fifteen. He was determined to let his hair grow out. Funny thing is, now he keeps it fairly short.

I wouldn't force the issue. It's not worth it. I would suggest going to a stylist to keep it shaped though. They can tip the ends and cut it so that it lays nicer without cutting off length.

Ms Desert Dweller:

Well, it's an age when they want all sorts of things, right?

And hair is less permanent than an ear piercing.

And an ear piercing is less permanent than a tattoo (which should be for over 18s)....

Hair: changes in three weeks, ...or three days....

Edited by onlyme

My son is a bit younger than yours, and I do think that makes a difference...but we have similar issues here. His hair is sooooo thick and it grows straight forward on the top of his head. His nickname is ThatchBoy because he reminds me of an English cottage roof. He likes it long and unkempt looking, not long and straight and ponytail-able, but in his eyes. He has multiple cowlicks so that when it is long, it never lays nicely.

I've never wanted to make too much fuss over hair, so I was letting him grow it. But one day, I just. couldn't. look at him anymore! I insisted he get it at least trimmed and took him to my hairdresser where she shaped it up. I still don't really like the style. But at least I saw his eyes for a couple of weeks.

Another thing I've insisted on is that he MUST shower so he doesn't get that greasy look going on. Yuk. He is nowhere near puberty so he hasn't felt the necissity frequent showering yet. If he can't take care of the hygiene aspect, he can't keep the look.

One unresolved issue I have is related to money. Having this longer style (but really it's kind of an in-between length) requires more upkeep...and more money. If he was willing to have a regular Joe haircut, then I could do it myself, but this stylin' thang costs. He needs a haircut 3 times as often as my teen daughters! I am thinking about making him choose between paying for at least part of a cut or letting me cut it.

That said, if he were even a couple of years older, I think I would let him choose (wth a few caveats: clean, brushed, out of eyes).

Have you tried a shampoo for fine hair? Pantene has one. It helped a bit with my hair. My hair is fine but not thinning. (Thank heaven!)

I applaud you for letting your ds have freedom with his hair. I let my little guys have the say too. Although I put my foot down with my ds7 who's hair is past his shoulders. He won't tie it back for sports so go, it must. :)

Okay, I will just let it go. That is what my heart says to do, but I just get tired of looking at it IYKWIM!

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned shampoos.... He uses my shampoo for fine hair. It is Matrix Abilify. I have very fine hair too, and it is the best one yet for me and I have tried many, many shampoos.

Okay, I will just let it go. That is what my heart says to do, but I just get tired of looking at it IYKWIM!

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned shampoos.... He uses my shampoo for fine hair. It is Matrix Abilify. I have very fine hair too, and it is the best one yet for me and I have tried many, many shampoos.

Tap Tap:

I guess knowing where to draw the line in the sand, is the thing.

Like if he wants a tattoo before 18: NO!

If he wants to smoke in the house: NO!

hair???

(earring?)

Drawing the line needs wisdom, right?

Take care.