Menu

How many times do you change your mind dec. on curriculum?

dancer67

Just when you think you have your curriculum figured out, do you find that you have changed your mind once AGAIN:smash:

I think we have gone in cycles here. We thought we were set on BJU, now it is being re-thought once again.

So now we are back to THIS for my 12 yo 6th grader 2010/11

MCT LA Grammar Town Level

Saxon Math 5/4 (or 6/5)w/teaching tapes

Apologia General Science

Our Land of Liberty(American History) with Living books for Lit.

EM Daily Paragraph Editing

Logic Liftoff

Getting Started with Latin

Horizons Health

Thoughts on this plan(for now anyways:lol:)

I need to stay of these boards:lol:

As soon as I tell anyone about my final decision I change my mind.

:iagree:I'm glad I'm not the only one!

So far in the last month I have made 2 final decisions on writing, 2 final decisions on Latin, 3 final decisions on grammar and 2 final decisions on literature. I'm hopeless! My dh thinks I'm crazy. Everytime I tell him that I've settled on something he shakes his head and says, "Really" in a snide, sarcastic sort of way.:glare:

It's not me! It's my kids! Just when I find the one that "works" for us, they hit a new stage and I have to re-think! I'm truly excited the youngest will be in 2nd next year, and I'll be able to combine them easier. I'm already noticing a difference this semester. I'm combining them using MFW, and it's working beautifully!

Blessings!

Dorinda

I think it's a normal process to think through, ponder a while, change your mind, filter it some more, etc. That's why I start thinking through things a year or two in advance. Once you BUY the stuff, it's a lousy time to change your mind, but until then it's fair game. :)

I will say that your ecclectic is SO across the board (gifted materials for LA, lower than grade level for math, etc.) that I'd be surprised if a total grade level package would fit you. But I could be wrong, lol. Sometimes you are on the cusp but don't have peace because there are a couple pieces you're missing. It might be a subject is not right, or may be the way you're thinking of using it isn't what fits. When that happens, I push everything aside and start over with a blank sheet of paper, just to see what has really stuck and what was peripheral, what I was sure of and what I was just plugging in for effect. I go through a lot of blank paper when planning. :)

I think it's a normal process to think through, ponder a while, change your mind, filter it some more, etc. That's why I start thinking through things a year or two in advance. Once you BUY the stuff, it's a lousy time to change your mind, but until then it's fair game. :)

I will say that your ecclectic is SO across the board (gifted materials for LA, lower than grade level for math, etc.) that I'd be surprised if a total grade level package would fit you. But I could be wrong, lol. Sometimes you are on the cusp but don't have peace because there are a couple pieces you're missing. It might be a subject is not right, or may be the way you're thinking of using it isn't what fits. When that happens, I push everything aside and start over with a blank sheet of paper, just to see what has really stuck and what was peripheral, what I was sure of and what I was just plugging in for effect. I go through a lot of blank paper when planning. :)

Ugh, me too. I have mounds of paper curricula plans for each grade every year, for each child. It's something that I have been doing for years now. :lol:

As soon as I tell anyone about my final decision I change my mind.:lol:

Add me to this club too! I'm mainly torn between 2 providers and just can't seem to make up my mind. They each have such great things to love about them.

Add me to this club too! I'm mainly torn between 2 providers and just can't seem to make up my mind. They each have such great things to love about them.
If it is WP and HOD you can add me to the camp. I have it all planned out on the WP forums. I am sure that I will stick to it. :lol:

Here are my (set in stone) all the way through history plans. I just changed them to get CATW in after all of the recent discussion here about ECC.:tongue_smilie:I might buy the HOD guides for DS to get the other subjects in (read alouds with character discussion, hands-on math, poetry, etc.)

1. Ancient Explorations (by me!)

2. Star Spangled States (this is what we are finishing now)

3. HOD Bigger

4. HOD Preparing

5. WP Sea and Sky PK. DS- WP IRL

6. WP CATW 1. DS Cultures and Creatures (by me!)

7. WP QAW 2. DS uses Ancient Explorations with it

Skip 8

9. WP QMA 3. DS uses SOTW 2

10. WP QRR with SL 100 add ins 4. DS uses HOD Bigger with Extensions

11. WP Modern with SL 100 add ins 5. DS uses HOD Preparing

12. (one semester) Government 6. DS is on his own! probably WP S & S

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Here are my (set in stone) all the way through history plans. I just changed them to get CATW in after all of the recent discussion here about ECC.:tongue_smilie:I might buy the HOD guides for DS to get the other subjects in (read alouds with character discussion, hands-on math, poetry, etc.)

3. HOD Bigger

4. HOD Preparing

Skip 8

WOW!! You are very ambitious! I love your choices; we just started Star Spangled States (based on a previous post of yours:001_smile:), and I am VERY interested to hear why you picked CATW. That's one I was really drawn to.

Yes it is WP and HOD. I really love Bigger, but can't help but love the great picture books in AS1. I was so sure that Bigger was the final choice till my younger child decided to sit in on a version of AW we're using for the summer and he learned a lot just tagging along with DD. So now I'm wondering how I can combine them and still teach each child what they need. WP makes that easier for us, but I hate to give up the Christ-centered HOD.

Tammi: Yeah, I am thinking using someone else's guides will get it done. I will PM you about CATW later. I still have to decide between SL and HOD for science, but we are set on that for a while now, and have two Elemental Science guides to use too.

crl: I just decided to add a few picture books to the HOD guide. I mainly wanted American History to only take one year. I also wasn't real impressed with the WP AS1 guide that I have. The NA focus doesn't match up the books by topic at all, it only goes through them by page order. I hope QAW is better. I had almost decided not to use WP at all, but the resources in the 4 year cycle are excellent, and I will have my own maps, timelines and notebooking to tie it all together if it isn't very chronological. I also already promised DD that we would do Sea and Sky.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Carmen,

I seem drawn to the same programs you are. I've followed some of your pondering both here and now at the HOD boards. I'd love to use the Phonics Road, but I can't get around the price.

:iagree:

This is why a box curriculum has not worked for us. She is gifted in LA, but behind in Math(She is not a mathy kid at all, and hates that subject)

So piecing things together is better. But harder, if you KWIM.

Again, it seems once I made a "final" decision, I am off again to rethink!:lol:

Yup. I even posted my plans on FB (what a loser am I?) and then changed 3 times after that! Then I bought Sonlight K, realized we weren't ready and so I bought Sonlight 4/5 and then realized we don't even love Sonlight. I am committed to finishing both 4/5 & K since we have them. I'm at the stage where it's all still fun, though. :)

I havent even started HS'ing yet and trying to decide the past few months ive changed my mind a billion times. After posting ideas here and then getting tons of opinions , makes it harder sometimes. Ive decided to take the opinions and just start choosing because otherwise I fear I may not get anywhere!

So ive got our History, Math, Spelling ordered so far. wheww.. I know it shouldnt be this difficult to choose!! ;)

A lot of times, but now i'm paying for it because we're having to go back and fill in gaps in basic skill subjects. I won't make the same mistake with my younger crowd coming up in the ranks. I've also gotten over trying to do every single thing in every single grade for every single student. In the K-3 we are going to be all about skills, skills, skills and not stress over content subjects as much. It's just exhausting!

I'm trying really hard to adapt curricula that I think are superior, to better match learning style *and* my teaching style. I get bored, bored very easily, so I'm planning things in shorter blocks so there is always something new to plan. Planning homeschooling is fun, actually homeschooling is hard work, so I do things that keep making it interesting for myself!

Edited by LoveBaby

Every year and more!

I'm a hopeless curricula junkie and I have to touch, feel, pore over and worse, OWN everything available. Get me to a homeschool conference and I'm like a 5 year-old at the petting zoo.

It's not even that my homeschool philosophy has changed all that much, I just get bored with the same tools.

To borrow from Erasmus: when I have money I buy curriculum and if there's any left, I buy food and clothing. :)

*sigh*

Every year and more!

I'm a hopeless curricula junkie and I have to touch, feel, pore over and worse, OWN everything available. Get me to a homeschool conference and I'm like a 5 year-old at the petting zoo.

It's not even that my homeschool philosophy has changed all that much, I just get bored with the same tools.

To borrow from Erasmus: when I have money I buy curriculum and if there's any left, I buy food and clothing. :)

*sigh*

me, too! me, too! i just read an amazing book called "organizing for your brain type" and now I know *why* I get bored. It's really changing the way I look at homeschooling ,the materials we use and the way I am planning our homeschool from now on. it also explains why I do better with piles than with files! :lol:

Oh, yes! :glare:

3. HOD Bigger

4. HOD Preparing

Skip 8

Uh oh, more changes ahead. :D My plans for next year are actually almost lining up with plans that I made about three years ago. :lol:

me, too! me, too! i just read an amazing book called "organizing for your brain type" and now I know *why* I get bored. It's really changing the way I look at homeschooling ,the materials we use and the way I am planning our homeschool from now on. it also explains why I do better with piles than with files! :lol:

I will add that to my wish list!

A lot of times, but now i'm paying for it because we're having to go back and fill in gaps in basic skill subjects. I won't make the same mistake with my younger crowd coming up in the ranks. I've also gotten over trying to do every single thing in every single grade for every single student. In the K-3 we are going to be all about skills, skills, skills and not stress over content subjects as much. It's just exhausting!

I'm trying really hard to adapt curricula that I think are superior, to better match learning style *and* my teaching style. I get bored, bored very easily, so I'm planning things in shorter blocks so there is always something new to plan. Planning homeschooling is fun, actually homeschooling is hard work, so I do things that keep making it interesting for myself!

def. feel the first paragraph

and for getting bored...that's why I decided to rotate science monthly, instead of semesters this coming year :) I get so bored!

Sometimes I think that it must have been easier to choose curriculum in the early/mid '80s (when I was the homeschooled K'er) and there were only a few things to choose from!!

But I do love the thrill of the hunt!! And YES YES YES I change my mind and revisit the same options again and again!

Well, let's see here...I am currently thinking about the upcoming year. For my younger girls, I have pondered the following:

~Continuing on with MFW CTG

~Not desiring to do that time period again in 2 years when dd12 hits 9th grade, I should probably do American History instead, so considering SL 3, 4, or 3-4.

~Wanting to include all girls into dd16 TOG year 4 plan.

~Not wanting to use TOG with the younger girls again because I failed at this last year.

~Returning to the SL plan because we love books.

~Considering AO because we love books.

~Looking at SCM because I like their 6 year plan better.

~Again looking at SL because getting a core is so much easier than picking all the books out and making my own plan.

~But SCM looks so nice, and my upcoming 7th grader would be at the perfect spot to begin the year 1 ancients and work through the 6 year plan.

~But now I'm back looking at MFW CTG!!!

Sounds a lot like 'If You Give a Mouse a Cookie...'. Round and round and round I go. :D