Menu

Our pleas and cries for a different type of HS convention have been heard!

I just returned from the Georgia convention. In light of the lengthy thread last week about the irrelevance of speakers and topics addressing the needs of many on this board, I thought I'd encourage you with some good news.

Dh and I were talking with the owner of Children's Books (out of Lyman, SC). She mentioned that she had conducted a survey of her customers last summer asking about what conventions they attended and what speakers/topics that they were interested in. Guess what she found? Yep, the majority of her customers never attended conventions because the topics and speakers were just not relevant to them. Does this sound familiar? So, using all of her customer feedback, she teamed up with the man who planned and marketed the Cincinnati convention earlier this year. He plans to hold 3 conferences next year promising the best of the best in speakers and topics. The locations will be Cincinnati, Greenville, SC, and Philadelphia. The owner of Children's Books is already working on the Greenville plans with him. She couldn't give me exact dates yet, but she did say the Greenville one will be in March 2011.

I'm posting a link to her site, so that you can keep up with the plans later this year. As I hear more details, I'll certainly post them. I just couldn't wait to pass this info along!!

http://www.homeschooldiscountproducts.com/servlet/StoreFront

God bless to you all.

Jennifer

I went to GHEA also and only went to one class (which was extremely valuable, btw). I just couldn't get myself away from the vendor hall or book sale long enough to attend. I vowed never to sign up for full conference again because this is the second time I've done this. However, I attended a MFW conference a couple of years ago that was absolutely wonderful, and I would love to see conferences outside of a convention that would allow us curriculum junkies to break away and "get fed".

I went to GHEA also and only went to one class (which was extremely valuable, btw). I just couldn't get myself away from the vendor hall or book sale long enough to attend. I vowed never to sign up for full conference again because this is the second time I've done this. However, I attended a MFW conference a couple of years ago that was absolutely wonderful, and I would love to see conferences outside of a convention that would allow us curriculum junkies to break away and "get fed".

Glad to know you did attend a class that was of value to you. I've also vowed to never sign up for full conference, too. After going 6 years in a row, you'd think I'd already figured that out. :D

I wish they had a convention closer to WNC! The closest is the one in Raleigh every year...can't afford to get the hotel every year to go, not to mention the time...5 hour drive from here!

But she said Greenville, SC is the first one, and that is only 1 1/2 hours from me. I'm in WNC also.

Even though I"m near Atlanta, I've always gone to the Cincinnati HS convention, partly because my parents live near Lexington, KY and partly because their lineup of speakers is WAY better than anything I've EVER seen for Atlanta. I'm so happy to hear this..... I couldn't make the Cincinnati one this year and felt like I really missed out. Greenville, SC wouldn't be bad at all and to have another choice in case it doesn't work out to go to Cincinnati would be great!!!

(I thought maybe I was the only one who felt this way about the Atlanta conventions... or that I was spoiled by Cincinnati or something...:D)

I'm a vendor and already have signed up for Cincy and two of the other new ones for next year. Brennan Dean runs an AMAZING conference. I'm sure the new ones will follow suit.

Greenville, SC - March 17-19

Cincy, OH - March 31-April 2

Philly, PA - June 23-25

See you there!

Thanks for the link....it makes me even more excited. Great line-up of speakers & entertainers (love Tim Hawkins).

I just returned from the Georgia convention. In light of the lengthy thread last week about the irrelevance of speakers and topics addressing the needs of many on this board, I thought I'd encourage you with some good news.

Dh and I were talking with the owner of Children's Books (out of Lyman, SC). She mentioned that she had conducted a survey of her customers last summer asking about what conventions they attended and what speakers/topics that they were interested in. Guess what she found? Yep, the majority of her customers never attended conventions because the topics and speakers were just not relevant to them. Does this sound familiar? So, using all of her customer feedback, she teamed up with the man who planned and marketed the Cincinnati convention earlier this year. He plans to hold 3 conferences next year promising the best of the best in speakers and topics. The locations will be Cincinnati, Greenville, SC, and Philadelphia. The owner of Children's Books is already working on the Greenville plans with him. She couldn't give me exact dates yet, but she did say the Greenville one will be in March 2011.

I'm posting a link to her site, so that you can keep up with the plans later this year. As I hear more details, I'll certainly post them. I just couldn't wait to pass this info along!!

http://www.homeschooldiscountproducts.com/servlet/StoreFront

God bless to you all.

Jennifer

I would LOVE to know the name of the man she worked with who does the Cincy convention planning. Some of my best college friends run that convention, so it would be cool if it happened to be my friend. :)

But she said Greenville, SC is the first one, and that is only 1 1/2 hours from me. I'm in WNC also.

Greenville is doable for me, too! In work for MFW at my local convention, so it would be great fun for me to attend one. :)

Even though I"m near Atlanta, I've always gone to the Cincinnati HS convention, partly because my parents live near Lexington, KY and partly because their lineup of speakers is WAY better than anything I've EVER seen for Atlanta.

Wow, I have relatives near Lexington too, never thought about staying with them and going to the Cincinnati Convention. Great idea. :D

I couldn't make the Cincinnati one this year and felt like I really missed out. Greenville, SC wouldn't be bad at all and to have another choice in case it doesn't work out to go to Cincinnati would be great!!!

This was a good year to miss. There were... growing pains. But an email just went out that they are changing a lot based on the surveys they got back, so it should be good again next year. They are very responsive to changing problem areas, and I think that's what makes them successful.

This was a good year to miss. There were... growing pains. But an email just went out that they are changing a lot based on the surveys they got back, so it should be good again next year. They are very responsive to changing problem areas, and I think that's what makes them successful.

Oh, I feel better then. I was really bummed! :)

I would LOVE to know the name of the man she worked with who does the Cincy convention planning. Some of my best college friends run that convention, so it would be cool if it happened to be my friend. :)

I'm a vendor and already have signed up for Cincy and two of the other new ones for next year. Brennan Dean runs an AMAZING conference. I'm sure the new ones will follow suit.

According to Erin Karl (Analytical Grammar), his name is Brennan Dean. Is that someone you know?

what GA convention were you at? i live in GA and know the SE Homeschool Expo is coming up this summer. Which convention did I miss?

Just thought I'd let you know that the convention is usually the last weekend of April or first weekend of May every spring at the Georgia International Conference Center (very near airport).

Jennifer

So tell me about the other speakers (I know about MCT, SWB, Pudewa, Rosemond, but not familiar with the other ones).

I'll try to answer what I know about some of them. If any of you know more about these speakers, please chime in!

Tim Hawkins is a comedian who is also a gifted musician. He really is hilarious. We have several of his DVD's. If you do a search on youtube for his name, many songs will come up. He even has one that pokes fun at homeschoolers. BTW, he and his wife homeschool their 3 youngest kids.

Tedd Tripp is the author of Shepherding A Child's Heart. It is a very thought provoking look at how we parent our kids. According to the book, which I own, it states he is a pastor, counselor, and school administrator.

Amanda Bennett writes unit studies. That's all I know about her.

I am unfamiliar with David Gibbs and John Stonestreet.

HTH,

Jennifer

Thanks for the info. I went to the GA convention, but did not attend any of the speakers. I had only one day to go, so I chose to do the used book sale and vendors. I look forward to the convention in Greenville. That isn't too far away.

I am soooo thrilled! I am going to CHAP this year in Harrisburg strictly to hear Andrew Pudewa. I am really disappointed in the speaking line up this year. I really want seminars on how to teach certain subjects not things I can get a church each week. The Philly conference looks promising. Count me in! Finally sounds like something I am looking for. :001_smile:

Those who are looking forward to these conferences because you want different speakers than the usual, please, please, please email the Deans and let them know. This year in Cincinnati there were considerably less 'academic' and more religious ones and 'you can do it' type talks.

Angela, is this the address? CincyConvention at gmail dot com