Menu

Historical fiction with a twist- I need suggestions.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

This is for me. I like historical fiction that has a mystery or time travel. I've read Connie Willis (love), Jack Finney(love), some Michael Crichton (so-so). I also like fictional books about historical characters, or historical books about fictional characters, especially mysteries- loved Laurie King's Sherlock Holmes stories. I'm looking for other suggestions. I'm not interested in heavy romance. No R-rated books please.

Thanks!

Edited by Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

I read The Name of the Rose, but not the Outlander series. I think I saw an excerpt from one Outlander book and it looked a little raunchy, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Well, a YA title is "The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing" by M.T. Anderson. There is also a sequel I haven't read yet.

Perhaps "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.

Have you read Sarah Dunant's books?

I loved "Dancer" by Colum McCann.

"I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" by Robert Graves.

"The Daughter of Time" by Josephine Tey.

You may enjoy:

The Alienist: A Novel by Caleb Carr

The Dante Club: A Novel by Matthew Pearl

The Cask of Amontillado or Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allen Poe

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

Death of a Colonial by Bruce Alexander

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John Le Carre

I tend not to mind some gore in my mystery/ spy books (although I am not a huge fan of romance), and I read most of these a long time ago, so you may want to check reviews to make sure they aren't too descriptive for your tastes.

Have you read The Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon? I couldn't get into it, but it's often recommended here.

I would say this is pretty R- rated though. The OP requested no Rs. (I couldn't get into this book either. My book club read it, unfortunately.)

I would say this is pretty R- rated though. The OP requested no Rs. (I couldn't get into this book either. My book club read it, unfortunately.)

Ah.

I read less than half and tossed it aside. Guess I didn't read far enough. :)

Guest Virginia Dawn
Well, a YA title is "The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing" by M.T. Anderson. There is also a sequel I haven't read yet.

Perhaps "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.

Have you read Sarah Dunant's books?

I loved "Dancer" by Colum McCann.

"I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" by Robert Graves.

"The Daughter of Time" by Josephine Tey.

I've read The Historian and The Daughter of Time, I'll check out the others. Thanks.:001_smile:

Guest Virginia Dawn

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. I've already read about half of those listed, but I will look into the others.

Keep 'em coming, if you have any more.

I was just about to recommend Willis' Doomsday Book, but then I re-read your post! lol

Have you read Sarum? It's about the Salisbury Plain area of England, and details the building of the Salisbury Cathedral, with a little Stonehenge thrown in there. It's quite thick, quite fun, and quite engaging! I read parts of it before we went to England, and it made the area come alive.