Menu

Opinions WANTED! Re: watching neighbor boy for summer

The situation is this, John is 9 years old and both of his parents work full time. He has an older sister but she has moved out due to some family issues. Usually his sister is with him until his mom comes home. This summer he is going to need adult supervision during the day. They asked if I would consider watching him and they would pay me.

I am going to watch him. I have no problem with that. My dh and I love him as well as my boys.

My question is how much do you think we should get paid per week? I really don't have any idea what the "going" rate is. I don't want/need top dollar but do think I should be compensated, plus they want to pay. What are your suggestions and why on the amount?

Thanks!

I did this one summer for a friend. Granted my ds and him were best buddies, but also only children. I charged 75.00 per week and that was about 3 years ago. that was for lunch and snack only.

I earned every bit of that. Having two ONLY children made for some interesting discipline issues those few months. We ended up all getting quiet time after lunch. Being together for 8-9 hours a day was way different than just playing together on the weekend or at church.

At least $100 a week. esp if you are planning on not being tied to the house for the entire summer. And make it very clear that you will not be sitting at home because he is with you. If you're kid wants to go to a carnival or amusement park for example, you'll have to not only take this other child, but pay his way too. And these things, VBS, camp, swimming, and so on always come up in the summer, kwim?

Even at $5 an hour, for 8 hours a day, for 5 days a week = $200 a week

Now even the burger flopper or cashier makes a good deal more than that, so surely taking care of someone's child warrants at least that much.

Do NOT discredit how much this could throw off your summer grove.

Frankly, there's zero doubt in my mind they'll not be able find someone other than family (if even family would?) to do it for less that $200 a week.

This would be sky-high in my neck of the woods.

My nephews are doing a summer program (fully planned w/ activities to museums and parks) for $150 a week, per child (8 and 10.)

:seeya:

I'm in the same neck of the woods! Hi, neighbor!

That usually does not include meals, transportation to and from drop off site (they don't deliver to the house! lol), is not 8 - 9 hours per day, and have 1 teacher for every 3 - 4 kids. Most are half day programs, some are full "school hours" programs (9 to 3), leaving at least 2 hours of additional care and funds to pay for it needed from somewhere in the afternoon and transport to it. Oh and those places get a bulk group rate, the OP won't be getting that discount for the same events.

By all means, if the OP feels comfortable charging less then she can and should. I'm just saying after *my* own experiences, I wouldn't do it for less than that $150 or $200 range.

I will also say after years of experience in this area, that you get what you pay for. Years ago everyone told me I should save money and get a cheaper home care provider for my first infant, but I refused. I went in and evaluated those places and there's a BIG difference in quality of care when the price goes up. The lady I choose had been in business for over 20 years and raised 6 children of her own, her home was spacious and child friendly with a big yard and lots of educational opportunities and very healthy homecooked meals. Because she charged more, she didn't have to take on as many children - which meant my little baby got lots of attention and personal care.

Comming from both ends of the issue, I think we should be willing to pay the people who care for our children at least as much an hour as we'd expect someone who makes happy meals to earn per hour.:)

Is this person wanting the OP to care for their child because they feel they can trust her and it's what is best for their child or just because they feel she's the cheapest option? NOT trying to be snarky, it's a sincere question. And it might be both.

I usually watch my 11 yr old niece all summer for $100 a week. She is family or I would ask for more. She eats like a horse.

I also watch my 4 yr old nephew and 20 mo old niece a few times a week, year round. I get $35 a day. I feed them 2-3 meals and I am doing informal preschool with my nephew. That is a bargain compared to daycare, but then, I live in MA where everything costs ridiculous amounts of money.

I usually watch my 11 yr old niece all summer for $100 a week. She is family or I would ask for more. She eats like a horse.

Ain't that the truth? Some serious growth starts to happen at about 10 or 11 and my goodness can they EAT! My dh and I joke all the time that we can't wait for them to get their first job - perferably in the food industry!:laugh:

Which bring another topic to consider...

Food. Will the OP have to make special meals or change their menu to accomodate the visiting child's eating preferences or possible issues?

I didn't expect her to run a daycare program or to provide anything for dd that she wasn't' already doing for her own kiddos i.e. If dd didn't want to do something that her dd's were doing then it was up to my dd to entertain herself.

I provided a large grocery bag of snacks (crackers, cheese, juice boxes, cookies....) once a month. It usually cost me about $50. I also provided a Costco sized sleeve of paper plates and cups for the summer. It helped to keep the dishwasher expense and duty down.

I also gave her an envelope with $100 in it for activities. She would let me know when it was down to about $20 and I would refill it. That way she could do things spur of the moment without having to worry about the $$. Or she could spend some of it on art supplies or whatever she wanted without having to explain it to me.

I asked that she give me:

At least 1 weeks notice if she needed some days off for her family so I could make other arrangements.

2 weeks notice if she wanted to stop babysitting altogether.

A heads-up call, the night before, if she suspected someone was sick in her own family so I could try to find other care.

We had a deal that if she wanted a family day that she could call me and ask me to find other care for the day. IF I found care, then my dd went to her other friends house...if I couldn't find care, then she kept her. This gave her the freedom to have a down day...all the while protecting me from having to miss work because of it.

Since her vacation/family day schedule wasn't preset, and because of this I couldn't coordinate mine, I didn't pay her unless she actually had my dd. Some daycares charge you whether the child is there or not, but they have a preset schedule.

We had a preset minimum of hours, I think it was 5 a day that I paid whether or not my dh picked her up early. Sometimes dh would pick her up after only 1-2 hours and I didn't think it was fair for her to plan her day around my dd, and then to make no $$ on it.

We had this arrangement for a few years and it worked well. It gave her the freedom to be in control of the situation, kept it affordable for me, and it was fun for dd.

Is this person wanting the OP to care for their child because they feel they can trust her and it's what is best for their child or just because they feel she's the cheapest option? NOT trying to be snarky, it's a sincere question. And it might be both.

I am the OP and I can answer this! :001_smile: I believe they feel they can trust me. John is over here A LOT already. I really don't think they are thinking about the money right now. They are going through a REALLY difficult time as a family and I don't think much else is on their minds. I DO think that they are thinking this is the easiest option for them at this time. We live right across the street so it is very convenient.

Which bring another topic to consider...

Food. Will the OP have to make special meals or change their menu to accomodate the visiting child's eating preferences or possible issues?

I will provide the food but will not have to change anything that I do, other then add more, lol. :001_smile:

hmm...

long term friendship kind of thing for YOU here?

and such friend is having a really hard time?

I still think my $ amounts is right on, but if YOU are willing to consider this more along the lines of an act of charity and mercy for a troubled friend, then of course a much smaller amount would be acceptable to you.

Just be careful not to let yourself feel taken advantage of, because the bitterness and resentment that it creates can trash a relationship real quick. :grouphug:

Maybe you could make a list of what all your child(ren) want to do this summer and add in how much that would cost for an additional child, plus a bit of extra grocery money and come up with a dollar amount?:001_huh:

I live in Texas and the daycare centers with activities, most off-campus, charge $100 per week though there is an activity fee of like $75 for the summer. I probably wouldn't charge quite that much myself though. However, I also couldn't provide field trips almost every day either as daycares get nice discounts for taking 50 kids!

I do agree with the other poster who said about having quiet time. I personally would also include "education" of some sort (projects, http://www.alice.org , journals, etc) though it wouldn't be "schoolish."

hmm...

long term friendship kind of thing for YOU here?

and such friend is having a really hard time?

I still think my $ amounts is right on, but if YOU are willing to consider this more along the lines of an act of charity and mercy for a troubled friend, then of course a much smaller amount would be acceptable to you.

Just be careful not to let yourself feel taken advantage of, because the bitterness and resentment that it creates can trash a relationship real quick. :grouphug:

Maybe you could make a list of what all your child(ren) want to do this summer and add in how much that would cost for an additional child, plus a bit of extra grocery money and come up with a dollar amount?:001_huh:

No actually we have only know the family for about 10 months. My husband and I do want to reach out to this family BUT like you said I don't want to have resentment or bitterness.

Ok. I'll try to answer for a less than formal situation. I owned and operated a daycare and so my experience necessitated a lot more professionalism and formality.

Rates vary considerably across the US. Call around; charge near or at the going rate. Do not under charge; having more kids in your home the bulk of daylight hours makes a large difference in your food, cleaning, paper, supply, utility budget. Watching a kid is not pure profit minus food. It will also take away some from your emotional/energy resources.