Menu

I've narrowed down my frig choices...

I went to look at the bottom freezer refrigerators this afternoon. I believe I've narrowed down my choices to a GE Profile (even though someone here said to stay away from GE) and a Whirlpool Gold. Both are around 25 cubic feet and will fit under my cabinets. The Whirlpool would be a tighter fit...but, would clear by one inch.

I really liked the Amana model I looked at the best...but, one door would be useless for our family. The door has one column of bottled water holders / soda can holders...and, that's it on that door. We don't use bottled water or drink soda...so, it's a waste of space for me. Unless, someone can give me another use for it!!

Smiles!

~Holly

Everything GE we've had has been junk. Literally. My MIL has had the same experience. DH and I vowed to NEVER EVER purchase another GE appliance. EVER. When we built our current home, we spent a lot of time researching all appliances. We settled with Kenmore Elite. Apparently, the Kenmore appliances are made by Whirlpool (that's what the Sears guy told us 4 years ago, anyway). We've had no trouble out of any of our Kenmore appliances. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy Whirlpool either.

Good luck.

I have an Amana with the freezer on the bottom. Love it.

I put all sorts of things on the fridge door: smaller bottle things like condiments, a gallon of milk, the pitcher of iced tea, etc. It's quite handy. Mine has adjustable shelves, though, not the thingie you're talking about (at least, what I'm imagining you're talking about, lol). Maybe you can get one without that?

If it helps - we have an Amana. It's 1 year old exactly. The service guy has been here FIVE times in the last two months for the same problem. One guy even refused to look at it because it wasn't making the noise when he looked at it. :glare: I had videotaped it and he refused to look at it.

We're currently waiting on a part - something like the motherboard. I'm thinking of asking for a new fridge.

I have 3 friends with GE appliances that have had nothing but trouble with them. I steer clear of GE.

I have a freezer bottom refrigerator by Samsung. We've had it for 2 years and I haven't had any trouble with it. I like that it has a water/ice dispenser on the front. The only downside is that it doesn't make a lot of ice at a time. It's only an issue when we have a lot of company in the summer, tho.

My vote is for the GE.

I personally believe each of the appliance makers has certain types of appliances they do well and others they do poorly. IMO, GE is good at refrigerators and Whirlpool is good at things with water in them. We love our GE refrigerator, but the Whirlpool Conquest refrigerator we had prior to the GE was a disaster.

My SIL told me recently that she had been angry at me when I had warned her about her Whirlpool refrigerator, but admitted that I was right, since they have had to get it repaired yearly (for four years) since they got it. I'm sorry, but a $1500 appliance should last more than one year.

Thanks so much! Very interesting take.

The salesman at the store (now, this is a family-owned store and the salesman has sold us our last two items) told us the only brand he would recommend to stay away from is LG. He told me there are always going to be issues with brands...always a lemon here and there...but, sticking with GE or Whirlpool is always a good bet.

Smiles!

~Holly

I just got the new Consumer Reports a few days ago and they rated refrigerators. All in all, the bottom-freezers were the highest rated, with the side-by-sides second. Top-freezers were a little lower.

You didn't say which models or size you were looking for or what your budget was. If you tell me I will look it up for you.

Overall, however, the Whirlpool and Kenmore had the best repair records. Models with icemakers had worse repair records than those without (bummer!). Side-by-sides had significantly worse repair records than the top or bottom freezers.

When all is said and done, it would appear that a bottom-freezer model is the best choice.

Thanks! That would be great...

We are looking for models that are at least 25 cubic feet...probably up to 27 cubic feet. We are looking at Whirlpool and GE...but, I'd also like to know if there are any pros/cons for LG. The salesman told us to stay away from LG...but, I've only read good reviews for that brand. ??

Thanks for any info you can give me.

~Holly

Kenmore does NOT only use Whirlpool; they use GE, Maytag, Whirlpool, etc. Kenmore doesn't manufacture anything; they just slap their name on another manufacturer's product. If you're wanting to avoid GE in favor of a Kenmore, make darn sure the Kenmore isn't really a GE. They're exactly the same with a few minor cosmetic changes. Look at the feet and the interior of both and you'll quickly see which Kenmores are GEs.

And, as far as bottom freezer models go, they're only made by Amana/Maytag (one owns the other; I can't remember who does which), so, if you get a bottom freezer model, ultimately, you're either getting an Amana or a Maytag. I have an Amana bottom freezer model and like it very much. It's the smaller of the line of bottom freezers.

Thanks!

One of my big hang-ups so far is that I don't want to put milk on the door. I have heard that it can spoil much faster. That being said, the GE I really liked cannot fit milk on the bottom shelf without moving the other shelves...making one of them just about unusable.

Sigh...

~Holly

Kenmore does NOT only use Whirlpool; they use GE, Maytag, Whirlpool, etc. Kenmore doesn't manufacture anything; they just slap their name on another manufacturer's product. If you're wanting to avoid GE in favor of a Kenmore, make darn sure the Kenmore isn't really a GE. They're exactly the same with a few minor cosmetic changes. Look at the feet and the interior of both and you'll quickly see which Kenmores are GEs.

And, as far as bottom freezer models go, they're only made by Amana/Maytag (one owns the other; I can't remember who does which), so, if you get a bottom freezer model, ultimately, you're either getting an Amana or a Maytag. I have an Amana bottom freezer model and like it very much. It's the smaller of the line of bottom freezers.

I have a bottom freezer -- it's a sub-zero. [/url]

subzero.jpg

Oh...I don't even know anymore! Smiles! This is one were were leaning toward...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04609169000P?keyword=gi5fvaxvb&sLevel=0

Of course, the place where we buy has a much better deal on it! However, we are now thinking that we won't try and rush into this just to TRY and get the government rebate. There is another Whirlpool that is 27 cubic feet that I really like...but, it's only been out for about 2 months. I'd like to read more about it in a few months and see if there are too many complaints.

Sigh...

~Holly

Edited by Holly in FL

We own LG appliances. We bought our refrigerator 4 yrs. ago. So far we don't have any problem with it. We also have their dishwasher, which is the quietest dishwasher I have ever own. So I am happy with the brand.

My parents only used Whirlpool appliances and they work well and last long.

Oh...I don't even know anymore! Smiles! This is one were were leaning toward...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04609169000P?keyword=gi5fvaxvb&sLevel=0

Of course, the place where we buy has a much better deal on it! However, we are now thinking that we won't try and rush into this just to TRY and get the government rebate. There is another Whirlpool that is 27 cubic feet that I really like...but, it's only been out for about 2 months. I'd like to read more about it in a few months and see if there are too many complaints.

Sigh...

~Holly

I love that one too! Only problem for me would be that my 2 year old would LOVE to put his cars into that hole where the ice enters the door :lol:. He is a very sly little guy and I think it would be just way too appealing for him.

Now...this is what's so confusing. The sales guy told us the only brand he would stay away from is LG because of the the history of problems and the fact that it's hard to find parts for them. I guess the company's policy is to replace a faulty appliance instead of try to fix it. I read a lengthy complaint about someone who had problems with their LG and got the run-around from the company for over two months.

Sigh...

Then, I hear that you love yours. I looked at them and they look wonderful. But, I didn't even consider them because of the sales guy.

I guess it really is a gamble of sorts whether you get a lemon or not. ??

Thanks!

~Holly

I certainly hope you are one of the few that get the rebate! Smiles! At this point...we know we couldn't get it...so, we are going to wait a few months and look around so I can get exactly what I want without being pressured to make a snap decision.

~Holly

Yes, we were among the lucky ones that got 2 of the 40,000 rebates given out here in Texas. Dh and I spent 6 hours straight on our phones & computers trying to snag our rebate reservations for the Fridge ($315) and our Central A/C ($800). We got both!

I had narrowed my choices down to an LG or a KitchenAid -- have friends with both and neither have had problems. I wanted 'counter-depth' I thought.

Turns out, i wanted 'built-in' depth - stops at the edge of the counter top -- does not go past that. We had a sub-zero a couple of years ago in another house, and that was the look I wanted so we went with the sub-zero.

The sales person at Home Depot (and we did not purchase it from them) told me that she gets irate phone calls whenever someone orders a counter depth and it is delivered and they discover that it is not truly counter depth. She spells it out for everyone in advance now. That's why I bought the sub zero. Just something to keep in mind.

I believe there are 66,ooo being given out in FL. However, you can't file anything until the item is actually delived. Then, you are given a number to put on your claim papers to be sent in. If you don't get it delivered today or over the weekend...I have a feeling you don't have a chance. The ones I wanted weren't in the immediate stock...with Tuesday being the soonest it could be delivered.

I'll be surprised if I'm wrong.

~Holly

Thanks! That would be great...

We are looking for models that are at least 25 cubic feet...probably up to 27 cubic feet. We are looking at Whirlpool and GE...but, I'd also like to know if there are any pros/cons for LG. The salesman told us to stay away from LG...but, I've only read good reviews for that brand. ??

Thanks for any info you can give me.

~Holly

I've read some bad reviews of LG online, but I don't know anyone in real life who has one.

We have a Whirlpool Gold side by side that we just love. IRRC, the salesman said the Gold line uses a better/bigger motor. We also like the design of the icemaker better in the Gold model.

The fridge I drooled over was the Bosch, but it was $1k over our budget.

I believe there are 66,ooo being given out in FL. However, you can't file anything until the item is actually delived. Then, you are given a number to put on your claim papers to be sent in. If you don't get it delivered today or over the weekend...I have a feeling you don't have a chance. The ones I wanted weren't in the immediate stock...with Tuesday being the soonest it could be delivered.

I'll be surprised if I'm wrong.

~Holly

Wow... that would be very frustrating not knowing if you get the rebate until after it is already purchased/installed. We also have a "waiting list" in TX for the remaining funds (if people don't use their full rebates). I'm so glad we were able to get the guaranteed rebate, because those on the waiting list have a similar process that you have... not knowing until later if they get it or not. I don't think I'd want to take the chance either.

On the bright side, around here, this week they are offering major sales on appliances... maybe you can find an even better deal!

Went out and had to buy a refrigerator this morning. I was told that here in AZ you couldn't use the rebate for a fridge anyway.

I got a whirlpool gold with the freezer on the bottom. Hope it's great! I appreciate all the comments - it helped me shop today.

I have a Samsung and absolutely love it. I have low cabinets too, and thought most brands wouldn't fit, but I wasn't considering that the hinge sticks out in front of the cabinet, so my fridge did end up fitting. It also had a half inch to spare on the sides (1/4 inch for each side), but it fit too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+25.8+Cu.+Ft.+French+Door+Refrigerator+-+Stainless-Steel/9499009.p?id=1218115044410&skuId=9499009

This is the model I have.