Menu

Suggestions for third grade Grammar

inquirer

I use Rod & Staff grammar (recommended in TWTM) in conjunction with Classical Writing (CW). You can see CW here: http://home.att.net/~MikeJaqua/TheBooks.html

I have been very pleased with the R&S/CW approach in our homeschool. My boys have shown great improvement in grammar and writing in using both programs. Currently, my oldest boys are doing R&S grammar 6 (oldest) and 5 (middle) along with CW Homer A. We started in R&S grammar 3 and CW Aesop B.

For grammar - Do you want something secular? Scripted? With color? Do you believe in formal grammar early? Does your dc like worksheets? Does dc prefer an interactive format?

For writing - Do you need some "hand holding" to teach it? Or would you rather have the flexibility in pulling writing from other subjects?

Another thing I would suggest is to find out why, when and how and figure out your own perspective. I found this very helpful but I know it's not for everyone. Read about grammar from different approaches and leaders in the homeschooling community, this will give you all the information you will need to figure out what will work best for you and your child(ren).

I prefer secular, non-scripted, non-consumable, interactive with a varied approach. This still falls short of defining what we actually use and how we use it. We use Primary Language Lessons (2nd/3rd) by Emma Serl, updated by Margot Davidson.

Our K-6 Writing and Grammar

K: Letter Formation and Handwriting, once doing copywork point out basic punctuation and parts of speech informally.

1: Language Lessons for the Very Young by Sandi Queen (with my modifications) / Phonics work

2: Primary Language Lessons by Margot Davidson / Phonics work

3: finish Primary Language Lessons by Margot Davidson / Writing Tales 1 by Amy H. Olsen / Simply Spelling (dictation)

4: Intermediate Language Lessons by Margot Davidson / Simply Spelling / (maybe add Junior Analytical Grammar, not sure)

5: finish Intermediate Language Lessons by Margot Davidson / Writing Aids by Tapestry of Grace

6: Analytical Grammar (3 year approach) & Writing Aids

We also have French (K-12) and Latin (only after child is reading fluently)

Spelling only after child is reading fluently and ready to write.

I teach instead of using products that teach my child without my help, I cannot stand scripted products because I have authority issues. Lol. I hope that doesn't sound judgmental b/c I don't mean it that way at all. Goals, perspectives and techniques are different for each family, we all do what we feel is best for our own situations.

Writing Tales 1 for writing. We're planning to use this next year along w/ *some* WWE for my 3rd grader. As for grammar, any reason you don't want to continue w/ FLL3 or 4? If he is gifted...R&S3 would be a good choice if you don't mind the heavy Christian content. We are Christian, and it even *bugged* me, but dc don't seem to mind! My 3rd grader hasn't had much in the way of formal grammar, so we are going with FLL3 for the more gentle approach and will add in R&S to fill in any "gaps" should we find any. GWG is another big hit around here w/ ds9 who prefers the workbook approach (FLL3 and GWG are workbooks, R&S is a text).

I pulled my dd's 7 & 4 out of a private school for gifted students last year and began homeschooling this year. My dd7 will use Shurley English for grammar because that's what they used in the gifted school and it was fabulous!

For writing, we're using Imitations in Writing Aesop's Fables (1st half of year) and Fairy Tales (2nd half). These Imitation in Writing can be purchased from the logos school store on-line. I own the IEW writing program and I add requirements from it to the Imit. in Writing assignments.

Good luck... it's wonderful to get to choose curriculum, but wow... it can sure add pressure, huh? :)

Love Rod and Staff for 3rd grade. We are using the second grade program now, but honestly, I think it moves a little too slowly. However, dd seems to need that, so it fits her. It's incredibly biblical in tone--most of the sentences we work with in the second grade book have to do with biblical people or events (not all, but most). That's ok with me, but it might drive some people to use something else.

We used FLL for first grade (for Part of first grade), and dd still remembers it really well. Have you looked at SWB's new writing program? It's designed to go with her FLL program.

I also like IEW. It's expensive, but really thorough, recommended in WTM, and seems to teach children to write well thru incremental steps that take some of the "scariness" out of writing.

We used First Language Lessons 3 and ds has loved it. I like it far, far better than FLL 1. I am excited that FLL 4 is coming out for next year... If JW can keep up the pace, we will be all set!

:iagree:

We too love FLL 3 and are looking forward to seeing a copy of WWE.

Heather Love you signature.:001_smile: It is just too cute.

Gretchen

For grammar - Do you want something secular? Scripted? With color? Do you believe in formal grammar early? Does your dc like worksheets? Does dc prefer an interactive format?

For writing - Do you need some "hand holding" to teach it? Or would you rather have the flexibility in pulling writing from other subjects?

For Grammar .... I believe in formal grammar early. He can do with or w/o worksheets. I don't have a preference about secular/religious.

For Writing .... I don't need "hand holding" to teach it ... flexibility would be o.k.

In both, I like a little more rigor. When we prioritized what we were teaching next year it came down to writing, writing, writing. Before husband and kids and multiple moves, I was a political speech writer and analyst. My husband, an engineer, continues to be amazed at how poor his employees' writing skills are. On a daily basis, he gets e-mails he has to return for clarification.

I use and have been very pleased with Shurley English. We've done levels 2-4 and will skip to level 6 next year. It's very easy to use with no planning required at all, and my kids have learned and retained a lot of grammar. It does get pretty repetitious in the later years (which is why we're skipping a level) and it teaches parsing rather than diagramming, if that matters to you. I think I'm going to do one more year with Shurley and then switch to a program that teaches diagramming so that my children have exposure to both approaches.

We also are having good success with IEW, but it definitely hasn't been pick-up-and-go for me. It's taken me several months of using it to really feel like we're in the swing of things and I have a grasp of the big picture, but it's a great choice if you want a writing program that can be used across the curriculum.

Good luck with these decisions, and I hope you have a wonderful year at home with your son :).

SBP

We tried with FLL 1/2. We had a hard time with the amount of repetition and it never dawned on me to skip lessons. I really liked the picture narrations, poems and memory work. So we do use it occasionally for those aspects.

We really like the Grammar Songs CD from Audio Memory. Keeps our spirits up in an otherwise dreary subject.

We really love the Growing With Grammar series! DS is only four weeks away from finishing the 1/2 book and is looking forward to starting the 3rd level.

For handwriting, we used the Handwriting Without Tears program from the Pre-K through the 2nd grade printing books. He started Spelling Workout's 4th grade book and the spelling words are only in cursive, so we practiced reading the cursive letters in both HWT and SWO. He can read them well now. I don't want to start him writing the cursive letters for a few more months due to fine motor development in a boy.

For composition, we have used Writing Strands for level 1 and started it with level 2, but it was a bust. So, I am looking at Classical Writing Aesop, etc., Writing With Ease from SWB, and maybe including some of the more advanced WS for creative writing. I really want a thorough program that will continue through 12th grade. Still figuring it out.:001_huh:

I wish you good luck deciding what you will use with your children.

My ds is gr. 3 this year. Growing with Grammar is awesome here. It's my ds's favourite subject. For writing I've used "Games for Writing" by Peggy Kaye. Next year, we'll start adding in Classical Writing.

My son likes Aesop a lot, but probably wouldn't if I made him write the papers by hand. He writes them on the computer, with spell-check and grammar functions disabled, TYVM!

We also watched the IEW DVD's between Aesop "A" and "B" and those tie in really nicely to Classical Writing. So if your child gets a little tired of Classical Writing, you can mix it up with IEW, especially if you have a friend with the DVD's or the student-directed program (which I can't recall the name of right now).

My son is gifted in writing as well, and he put up with Growing with Grammar a lot more willingly than First Langage Lessons. For some reason, he was more tolerant of GWG. He is learning diagramming (and so am I). His Latin program also helps with grammar.

Have fun in third grade.

julie

Thank you all so much for your help ... I haven't decided, but I have narrowed down my choices.

Grammar - we are going to investigate R&S and GWG. I have looked at the sample pages for FLL3 and it just looks a little too nice and a little too easy for our needs. I really would like diagramming.

Writing - here we are looking as CW and IEW. I may get both and see which works best or if they would best be combined.

Thanks again ...

It would be nice if you could cut the example portion off so dc's who look for short cuts have to think, but you can't because the exercises continue on the back. Just wanted to share our experience.

This is only true with the 1st/2nd grade book. Starting with the third grade program, the teaching portion is in a separate book (the student manual) and the work is in a workbook.

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com