Menu

Cutco Knives? Anyone have these?

I listened to a sales pitch for Cutco Cutlery from the son of a friend yesterday. He is a homeschooled boy that is going to college next year. I was impressed with the knives but the price was so high!! We cannot afford to spend $400 on a set of knives, much less the $900 for the nicer set. :001_huh:

I've done a little research on them today but it's seems like a mixed bag on feedback. Does anyone have these knives and love them? I saw them sold for a fraction of the price on Ebay and wondered about that too.

Anyone have experience with this company? Thanks!

Edited by Michelle in TX

I love mine. I actually went to training to sell them when I was younger. I also sold knives at Meier and Frank which was a May Company store...I sold nice knifes and they went on sale.....so I told the Cutco guy that when they did their price comparisons... yup at regular price... but I wanted "sale price". I ended up with a much better deal. I like the Chef, serrated Chef (double d edge) Tomato knife (vanity one:) Steak knifes... (you'll use these ALL the time...) I like the cheese one, too! And the icecream scoop... and the veggie peeler.. Get a better deal... tell them what you want... and what you can pay.... ask for a bit more than you'll take... and wheel and deal with them. I can't remember exactly what the person pays.... (you get a better price the more you sell... up to a certain point...)

:)

Thanks! I didn't do a search first.

I'm still wondering about the price and the idea of getting them from an Ebay seller.

The young man who was selling them to me insisted that I could only buy a set, not a knife or two. He even said I could buy a set and send back the ones I don't want and get a refund. That's seems too complicated. I'm guessing they figure once you use them, you want them all. :tongue_smilie:

I was wondering if they were really worth it and if anyone had actually sent them back for sharpening.

Thanks again!

We were given one as a wedding present almost 16 years ago. LOVED it! Then I lost it a couple of years ago and am saddened by that. Yes, they seem expensive but they WORK and they LAST. Start small. Buy ONE knife that you REALLY need. Mine was a paring knife. I'd always choose that one first!

I sold them in college and still have mine from the early 90s. LOVE LOVE LOVE these knives. Can't say enough about them. I've sent them back for resurfacing one time in all those years and it just cost me a small amount for shipping. My parents, sisters, aunts and uncles who bought them also still have and love theirs.

I actually lost my shears and a few steak knives over the years, so if you want to refer that nice young man to me I'll definitely buy a few if he wants to make an easy sale. PM me for my contact info if you want to pass it along!

Oh....and unless something has drastically changed, you can definitely buy them a la carte. I don't think I ever sold the entire "Homemaker" or "Homemaker +8" set (are they still calling them that?). No one I knew could afford $800 for a set of knives either.

Long story, but I used to do most of the cooking for my parents years ago. When I (finally) moved out of their house, I was seriously tempted to STEAL my mother's Cut-Co knives. ;)

My sister bought us a different set (a really, really nice & $) set for our wedding gift, so I left the Cut-Co knives behind. But, yes, they were wonderful for everyday cooking (if you chop a lot of vegetables).

FWIW, my mother still uses her set, after... oh, maybe.... 20 years! You'll never need another set, UNLESS one of your kids walks off with them. :lol:

My mother got hers in the mid- to late- 70s. I have them now. I got my set in the early 80s (complete set, as I basically took the job selling them so I could get a whole set!). I've never even had mine tuned up (yet). I don't think I could live without them while they were out being resharpened! They've been through 6? homes -- never lost one, and use them daily! :)

My brother sold Cutco, and my mother ended up with a VERY nice set. And since I used them throughout high school and college at her house, she bought us a small set when we got married, and has given me pieces here and there for gifts. I LOVE my Cutco. She has had hers resurfaced once, and she bought them in 1991, and mine are needing resurfacing (1997). I use mine harder than she ever uses hers.