Menu

Steak - how can I grill a REALLY good steak?

I don't man the grill - my dh does. I would love to surprise him with a really good steak sometime. Do I marinade it? What cut of meat would make the best steak? He likes it a little rare - how do you tell if it is ready? I am clueless and I worry that I would produce this flavorless, grey, dry roofing shingle!

Thanks for any tips, ideas or recipes!!

Marinating is def. helpful. My dh also sears the steak top and bottom on a pan inside to "lock in" the juices when he grills. Steaks usually turn out very juicy and tender. I don't know how long to cook them, though. I guess it depends on the thickness of the steak. We have grilled all kinds of cuts.

Mix whatever seasonings you like (We like garlic, salt and pepper) with some softened butter. Then rub that over the steak and let it sit at room temp for about 15-20 minutes. Grill at med-high heat, just until the outside is seared and has good crispy-brown grill marks. A good steak doesn't have to be grilled very long at all.

I agree with all the advice given. I prefer my dh's grilling to any steakhouses.

I used a dry rub mix recipe from a weber cookbook and lay it on thick. The rub includes kosher salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper...

Let the steaks sit at room temp for 15-30 minutes.

Preheat grill to 500, then lay steaks on grill, close lid for 2-3 minutes.

Lift lid and turn steak 45 degrees (don't turn over) to get the nice, crisscross like the steakhouse and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then turn the steak over and repeat.

Remove the steaks from the grill and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Time enough for your guests to admire the beauty of them:D.

BTW< I love this cookbook....

http://www.amazon.com/Webers-Real-Grilling-Jamie-Purviance/dp/B0018SUH2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270913973&sr=8-1

Enjoy!

It is cheaper than eating out!

Our choice is a bonless rib-eye just less than an inch thick (1/2-3/4 in would be perfect!). I look for a nice defined 'swirl' in the marble pattern.

Seasoning is easy--and I always get complements--I simply sprinkle both sides with Morton/McCormic Season Salt! You don't have to marrinade a good steak-and rib-eyes have a lot of natural flavor.

I use a charcoal grill... I want the grill part nicely hot and the coals just past the 'red' stage---I want to avoid the coals flaring after the meat is put on the grill. Usually 5-8 minutes per side is enough... I usually close the cover on my grill after I turn the steaks--I want to slowly lower the temp...

Once the steaks are off they usually set for at least 5 minutes while I scramble to season the sides. Our favorite/usual sides are steamed veggies and a side salad... if starch is not an issue then a small baked potatoe is great too.

My DH and DC say I have ruined eating out at steakhouses for them... I can fix a steak dinner for 5 people (4 adult size 1 kid) with generous servings of steak for under $20. This is still much cheapter than any fast food would be for a meal!

Aka Mike's Bar and Grill

Note to Staff:

New Standard Operating Procedures released today please learn BBQ RULES We are about to enter the BBQ season. Therefore it is important to refresh your memory on the etiquette of this sublime outdoor cooking activity . When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of events are put into motion:

(1) The woman buys the food.

(2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.

(3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along

with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man

who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

(4) The woman remains outside the compulsory three meter exclusion zone

where the exuberance of testosterone and other manly bonding activities

can take place without the interference of the woman.

Here comes the important part:

(5) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

More routine...

(6) The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.

(7) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is looking great. He

thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he flips the meat

Important again:

(8) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

More routine...

(9) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins,

sauces, and brings them to the table.

(10) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:

(11) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.

(12) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed ' her night off ', and, upon

seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some

women.

I grill steak 3-4x/month and I like my steak a little pink in the middle.

I buy whichever steak cut is on sale at the grocery store. My price cutoff is $5/lb. I've gotten bone-in and boneless, ribeye and t-bone for $4.50-$5/lb. When I do see it on sale, I buy as many as allowed (usually there's a limit of 2-3 packages). I freeze the extras to use when there isn't a sale.

I marinate by putting the steaks in a pan and sprinkling with seasoned Adolph's meat tenderizer, then add a dollop of bbq sauce, then coat with soy sauce. Put in the fridge for about an hour, then flip it over and do the same thing to the other side. Leave it in the fridge for another hour. Then make sure that it is sitting on the counter for 15-30 minutes before putting it on the grill.

I generally put the steaks on the grill for 4-5 minutes/side. After both sides have had at least 4 minutes, I pull off one of the steaks and check its temperature with an instant-read meat thermometer (one of my best-ever ideas to buy). As soon as I get a reading of 145, I stop cooking that steak. Once both the steaks are off the grill, I cover them with foil and let them rest for at least 10 minutes. The temperature usually goes up another 10 degrees during that time.

We use various seasoning mixes from Penzy's Spices. We like the Smokehouse one right now. We also use Montreal Seasoning in a pinch. If we are going to use something like A1, then we just use salt and pepper. I also use a different dry rub that uses dill in if for a different flavor.

We have our beef raised for us, so I just pick what ever I want out of my freezer. For the grill I like T-bone, Rib Steak or other higher quality steaks. My steaks are cut 3/4-1 inch thick.

I like to let steak come to room temp first before cooking.

Dh preheats the grill, tosses them on for 8min, turns for a couple more, flips until the temp gets to the desired temp. A digital thermometer is great. Mine has the temp readings on it for various levels of doneness. I like my steak just a bit pink without blood running on my plate, dh likes his a bit rarer.

When the meat comes off the grill I flip in onto the dish to draw the fluid back through the meat. I set the plate in the micro just to keep it warm and out of the way. I let them sit for 10ish minutes before serving.

I don't man the grill - my dh does. I would love to surprise him with a really good steak sometime. Do I marinade it? What cut of meat would make the best steak? He likes it a little rare - how do you tell if it is ready? I am clueless and I worry that I would produce this flavorless, grey, dry roofing shingle!

Thanks for any tips, ideas or recipes!!

Honestly, it's all in the beef. Really good beef will be a really good steak with absolutely nothing on it, but a bit of salt and pepper.

The key to the grilling is not to overcook it. You should also let it rest about 5 minutes before cutting it. It will continue to cook while resting, so if you cook it less than you like it done, by the time is has rested, it will be perfect.

Honestly, it's all in the beef. Really good beef will be a really good steak with absolutely nothing on it, but a bit of salt and pepper.

The key to the grilling is not to overcook it. You should also let it rest about 5 minutes before cutting it. It will continue to cook while resting, so if you cook it less than you like it done, by the time is has rested, it will be perfect.

I agree. It's in the beef and the cut.

Generally, sirloin is less expensive than other cuts, a little tougher, but flavorful.

Filet mignon is very tender, a bit less flavorful but again *very* tender.

Ribeyes are actually rib roasts cut into steaks. They are high in "marbling" which is fat so they are very flavorful, but they can be a little fatty.

"T-Bones" have a NY Strip on one side of the bone and a filet on the other. They are a bit more expensive, but you get the flavor on one side and the tender cut on the other.

NY Strips are tasty and tender. They are a good all around choice, but they can be a bit more expensive.

Generally, we cook sirloins. They are less expensive than other cuts and still very good. We have five kids so price matters.

My favorite steak is a filet. My husband likes T-Bones and Ribeyes.

The key is to not overcook. If you only want your steak well done, it doesn't really matter what cut you get. It's all going to turn out tasting about the same. If you like steak in the rare (cold and red in the center) to medium (warm and pink in the center) range then cut matters a lot.

Really, if you buy good beef, seasoning isn't that big of a deal. Salt and pepper will work fine. Good beef not overcooked is very flavorful. If you like steak well-done, then seasoning is probably more important.

Good luck!