Menu

Ordering Pizza's....did you know they charge delivery fees??

We hardly ever order pizza, but we have company coming and it was quick, easy and didn't mess up the kitchen:tongue_smilie::thumbup:

So I didn't know they did this.

Dh loves Papa John's and we order about once a month at least. We hardly eat out or go out, so we can justify the expense. I always order on-line and do a search for online coupons. I usually get one specialty pizza and an 1 topping free. We ordered pizza the other night and it was $24.19 for a large & x-large pizza and that included tips/delivery.

Kristine

I put myself in the driver's shoes and then I tip $5.00. Where I live, most drivers are moms or dads trying to make ends meet or might even have a kid with a disability, and I have been a driver before. If it was a teen ager or someone without huge financial responsibilities, I might not tip as much. In this small town, I know most of the drivers.

Less than $2 probably doesn't even cover gas - let alone their time!

This is not a desirable job - it is usually broke kids or adults trying desperately to make a dime.

Having worked in restaurants - seeing the other side - I tip $5 for the convenience of delivered food. I have never been charged a fee.

If you go with a small local joint and tip good - they will remember you and this has it's benefits!

Around here, places will often have free delivery on an order over a certain dollar amount, but otherwise there's a fee.

The fee has nothing to do with the driver, who should still get a tip. Remember, the driver's probably getting close to minimum wage, plus a pittance for mileage (esp. given current gas prices). They need those tips.

Domino's and Pizza Hut started charging fees here, and when I added in tip, it got to be at least $20 a night -- almost $30 at times. That's just pizza -- no wings, no drinks or breadsticks. That's just way too expensive. And it's not like the quality has gotten so much better since the days when pizzas cost less. These days I only buy pizza if I can pick it up on the way home. I have a hot/cold bag that I bought at Sam's for $7 and I use that to bring the pizza home.

I tip 20% at sit-down restaurants, for the very reasons most other posters described. So rather than declining to tip the guy when he's at my door, I decline by showing up at "his". I don't know if that's what the geniuses at Big Pizza intended, but if enough people do what I do, some of those delivery guys will start losing jobs.

I would gladly pay the delivery fee if it included the tip. But when I'm already paying $25 for a merely passable pizza? IMO, they've already factored in the costs of doing business by raising the prices so much. The delivery fee is just for increasing their profit margins.