Menu

Tell me about coconut oil!

The Base Commissary had Spectrum unrefined coconut oil (in a glass jar) so I thought I'd try it. It seems kind of solid-ish. Do I need to stir it up to use it?

It says it is to be used for medium-heat cooking. Would it be okay to use for my microwave popcorn popper in place of the olive oil? In baked goods instead of butter? etc...

My DH keeps asking me to make a good, moist banana bread that is not butter laden. Would this be a good use for it? How would I substitute? Ounce for ounce?

Thanks!

Coconut oil is a solid up to 75 or 76º and a liquid above that temp. I melt it if it's solid, and use it oz for oz for oils and butter.

Don't know about the microwave, b/c we don't have one. :) It's a more stable oil than olive oil, from what I understand. I still love EVOO (extra virgin olive) on salads, but I use CO for my breads.

It's good stuff. I kind of use it like the dad in My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding used Windex, lol!

Edited by Angie in VA

Coconut oil is a solid up to 75 or 76º and a liquid above that. I melt it if it's solid, and use it oz:oz for oils and butter.

Don't know about the microwave, b/c we don't have one. :) It's a more stable oil than olive oil, from what I understand. I still love EVOO (extra virgin olive) on salads, but I use CO for my breads.

It's good stuff. I kind of use it like the dad in My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding used Windex, lol!

Thanks and LOL about MBFGW reference...I still wonder if Windex would help my acne! :lol::lol:

The Base Commissary had Spectrum unrefined coconut oil (in a glass jar) so I thought I'd try it. It seems kind of solid-ish. Do I need to stir it up to use it?

It says it is to be used for medium-heat cooking. Would it be okay to use for my microwave popcorn popper in place of the olive oil? In baked goods instead of butter? etc...

My DH keeps asking me to make a good, moist banana bread that is not butter laden. Would this be a good use for it? How would I substitute? Ounce for ounce?

Thanks!

It will stay solid til about 76F. It melts in my kitchen in the summers here, but I find it easier to deal with as a solid, actually. I use it for all sorts of cooking - not just medium temp (I do even use it in my deep fryer, which I don't use often). I use it pretty much ounce for ounce in things like quick breads, but substituting in something like cookies, I use less (it makes them flatter).

I think it makes great popcorn - haven't tried it in the microwave, but I use it for popping corn on the stove and it's great :)

I use it as a non-dairy spread since I can't eat butter or most margarines--but in summer I go back to using refrigerated olive oil since the coconut oil melts when sitting on the counter and is hard in the frig. Crisco is cheaper in baked goods than coconut oil, but it depends upon what you like. :D

So I can substitute TBS for TBS for butter? for example, recipe calls for 6 tbsp of melted butter, should I do 6 tbsp of liquid coconut oil, or convert the butter into ounces and do liquid ounces of coconut oil???

That's what I do for most things - the main thing I noticed a real difference in texture was when I made cookies with all coconut oil. But for most everything else, I will substitute measurement for measurement.

Butter does have water, so I think you'd want to use slightly less by volume than butter, and add a bit of water, similar to the exchange you'd do with shortening. (I've read 2 T of water for 1 cup; so I'd say 1 1/2 T of water/liquid + 6 T coconut oil.)

People use coconut oil for pie crusts; I'd imagine it would work fine. You can also use liquid oil. One I use from Cooking Light has yogurt in it (the Classic), and it's very moist and tastes great.

I've used Spectrum coconut oil in the past. If I remember correctly, there were two kinds. One had no taste or smell of coconut and the other did. The difference might have been one was refined and the other was unrefined. I can't quite remember. I cooked with the one that didn't have the taste or smell of coconut. I felt the other was good for baking or smoothies for a bit of coconut flavor.

I've used Spectrum coconut oil in the past. If I remember correctly, there were two kinds. One had no taste or smell of coconut and the other did. The difference might have been one was refined and the other was unrefined. I can't quite remember. I cooked with the one that didn't have the taste or smell of coconut. I felt the other was good for baking or smoothies for a bit of coconut flavor.

I mainly use expeller-pressed (EPCO) because it's cheaper and it has less scent and flavor than the virgin CO. It has a little less nutrients too, but I have used "the good stuff" (virgin CO) and use it sparingly b/c of its cost.

I don't know is this is what you mean by the two kinds, but this is what I have found to be true w/ VCO v. EPCO.

It only liquifies over 78 degrees. I melt mine in the microwave when I use it for baking. I use it all the time to pop popcorn on the stove and it comes out so yummy- no butter needed!!!!

I used it when I made fried chicken a couple of weeks ago and the chicken was sooo good. However, I will not use it again because it is just too darn expensive for making fried chicken.

I mainly use expeller-pressed (EPCO) because it's cheaper and it has less scent and flavor than the virgin CO. It has a little less nutrients too, but I have used "the good stuff" (virgin CO) and use it sparingly b/c of its cost.

I don't know is this is what you mean by the two kinds, but this is what I have found to be true w/ VCO v. EPCO.

Coconut oil is the same. The healthy kind smells like coconut and tastes a bit like coconut.

The very refined coconut oil has less nutrients and no smell or taste of coconut.

BTW, do you have an Aldi or Sam's near you? They both carry EVOO at a very good price.

I've ordered coconut oil online in one gallon containers for a great price.

I don't know the answer to any of your questions but I do use it for hand/body lotion and love it. We don't use any other lotions at our house. It is very healing.

I use in my hair after I shower. Like a leave in conditioner. My hair looks so much healthier. Although I use baking soda for shampoo and vinegar water for conditioner too:)

Oh, good golly. Could you tell me more about this, please?

Well, to make a little bin of it for spreading on apples or banana slices, I use 2 Tablespoons of creamy natural pb, one Tablespoon of coconut oil, and 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed. The flax gives the whole thing the texture of a coarsely ground peanut butter.