Menu

? about "cracking your neck"

My friend just told me that last night, her friend cracked her neck and she passed out for 4 minutes!! That person and another that was there never called emergency and talked for those 4 minutes! She also told me that she was walking on the treadmill today and her thighs went numb. I think something is seriously wrong but she will not call the doctor. This doesn't seem normal, does it?

Normal? Heck to the no.

I'd be on my way to the ER after the passing out incident. Probably during, since my dh would have called 911 if I passed out in front of him.

I say in front of him, cause I've passed out before, and he found me coming to, so just put me to bed and used a not very nice term for 'butt' when ordering me to keep my butt in bed for the rest of the night. It was after a day of physical testing at the hands of WCB, so he figured it was fainting due to pain overload, and since I was coming to, I'd be ok as long as I didn't get out of bed again that night.

He's called 911 for me before, and is absolutely edgy about being on the alert for doing so again.

Which is all way more info than you needed. No, its not normal, and imo, she's endangering her health, if not her life, by ignoring it.

I saw on an episode of Dr. Oz recently (in the normal or not segment), that you can pinch off one of the major arteries to your brain (the one that runs up along the spine) by cracking your neck. I'd say your friend should go get checked out by a doctor ASAP, and stop the neck cracking!

If necks need cracking, suppose people go to a chiropractor and have them do it properly? It is more expensive, but safer.

Rosie

:iagree:

My chiropractor has never maimed me (or anyone else for that matter!). I can't imagine letting just anyone mess with your neck. You'd have to be pretty desperate or... something. :tongue_smilie:

People have been injured from a chiro doing it as well. I don't think you're EVER supposed to do it.

I disagree. It has brought me and millions of others profound benefit- and the rate of injuries is very low.

I'd be far more worried aboust taking pharmaceutical medication or visitng a hospital than going to a trained chiropractor.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/11856.php

What exactly is the bad way of cracking your neck? I've just rolled my neck from side to side, stretching it, and had it crack. I don't want to hurt myself, but I don't want to think I can't ever stretch it out again, either.

In my opinion, letting an untrained person just randomly twist it and yank it around is the bad way. I doubt you can hurt yourself stretching your neck very easily at all.

DO be careful first thing in the morning though. When your muscles are all loose and relaxed, it's easier to knock something out of whack. I've done it reaching for the alarm clock.