Menu

Homeschooling children other than your own?

Last night my MIL was over and asked me a question out of the blue: Would I consider homeschooling someone other than my own kids?

She is specifically thinking of my niece who will be in second grade next year.

Honestly, I have never given it any thought ... but wondered if it was even legal. That's the starting point, I guess. (We live in IL.)

I know there are probably lots of cons ... I'd love to hear both pros and cons.

:)

Obviously it would depend on state laws, but I would only do it for someone I was extremely close to. Even then, there would have to be a clear agreement that I would do things my way or no way, and that I would discontinue doing so if it negatively impacted my children.

In other words, I doubt anyone would take me up on the offer. ;)

I don't think it's legal in WA...if it was, I would consider it if the kids were the same ages/levels as my kids and extremely well-behaved and if the parents agreed with my educational philosophy. It might even help motivate me on those days when we don't feel like doing anything. :)

In VA you have to be certified.

I wouldn't do it.

Why? Well, you've got their whole future in your hands. That's one thing if they're your kids. After all, you know whether or not your dc are capable of moving mountains. What happens if your dns don't live up to what their parents believe is their potential? Well, it's all your fault.

I've been offered tuition to flout the laws and teach someone else's child. My issue is that they expect him to go to college and be a success, and if it turns out his success is not theirs, then I am the one who will be blamed, iykwIm.

I would and do and have been for the past 5 years. So far so good.

I have/had kids from 3 to 13, a little younger and a little older than my last, youngest child. None of them are strangers and I would consider all of their parents to be my best friends. I have no interference from them and I guess they trust me to make decisions :scared: . I do take school and our schedule very seriously because they are other peoples children. My older kids are very bright and did well in college and our homeschool was successful but I am much more serious and worried about getting it right for other peoples children.

They are all from different situations and are here for different reasons and time periods. It has been fun for my last child to have other kids to do school with.

If the kids are on different levels the hardest part is working out the timing of subjects so you can work individually with one while the other is working idependently. All of the kids have been able to do history, science, grammar/vocabulary, and a few other random bits and pieces together as a group. We mostly do math and spelling and such independently.

The hardest years to homeschool for me have been 4th/5th grade. There is a big jump in subjects and skills at that level and they need a lot of individual attention.

I have never regretted it and so far, I think and hope, it has been successful, so I know it can be done. Whether your circumstances are right or not is another matter. At minimum I would say you need to have a good relationship with the parent and make sure the two of you agree on who is in charge and that they take the schooling seriously.

Don't know about your state but in ours the parent assumes responsibility for the education and can then carry out that education any way they see fit. We are a pretty easy state though - no testing or submission of paperwork at all except a notice of intent the very first year.

I've done it and it went fine for the most part. And the kids weren't even particularly well behaved generally (though did fine with me). I agree with Carrie. You have to be firm that it's your way.

Considerations would include similarities/differences in religious beliefs (they will come up even if y'all believe similarly). Discipline also has to be worked out (ideally, your way or the high way). Any homework? What about if the child or you is sick?

Anyway, it would take some figuring but I think it can work out well.

ETA: The first time I did it was 14yrs ago. The last time was the beginning of this school year. Again, I think it CAN work. My kids have talked to me about homeschooling my grandkids if circumstances make it helpful. I think I would :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

I have.

Currently teaching my nephew. Have done a family of 4 in the past. I had conditions under which I would do and made sure the families understood them fully.

It is wonderful/financially helpful/crazy/tons of work all at the same time.

Pros:

extra income to help offset hsing. Yay!

forcing you to stay on task. Shouldn't need it, but sometimes I do. :blush:

learning to look at learning apart from own dc.

Cons:

No matter what you do, child is not yours and therefore is being raised differently than your own. [This may only be a small difference, but still impactful]

Can't just take a day and sleep in if you feel like it. Most of the time, the parent is working so even if you are sick, they come.

If a difference of opinion arises as to educational philosophies it could affect your relationship.

They don't pay.

Now, I haven't had too many problems. It is not easy though and I'd venture a guess that this really isn't for just anyone.

If I were you, I would think long and hard about all of the possible outcomes to doing it before you proceed.

Good luck

[feel free to pm me for any more info]

You could do a trial week in the summer after she has had at least 3 weeks of vacation to relax.

We started up a week before the local schools here for Christmas, I just added in the neighbor children to our week, it went well, I actually liked it more than our regular schooling with just us, although it might not be as fun once they got over the novelty of it all.

They all asked their parents to be homeschooled...but not by their moms, by me! (It was funny, 2 different children said that, and I'm not really that fun.)

It also made me appreciate how well Singapore math is teaching my daughter to think mathematically.