Menu

How important are fine arts credits for a college bound student?

If a student definitely plans to go to college - likely for sciences, maybe humanities - how important are fine arts credits?

I know I can contact colleges directly, but I'm just wondering from those who have sent kids to college - how important fine arts credits (not counting those majoring in the arts) seem to have been based on personal experience.

Many high schools/colleges seem to break down subjects into:

Math

Science

English

Foreign Language

Social Studies / History

Fine Arts

Electives

So, how important are fine arts credits (or a lack of any fine arts credits) on a homeschool transcript and if they are important what could a student take to get a high school credit in fine arts?

Are music history and art history fine arts credits? They seem like humanities/history credits to me.

We have a full schedule already and dd isn't interested in adding any more fine arts than necessary. :)

Curriculum in the state of California is pretty well dictated by the University of California entrance requirements, which include one year of fine arts. No getting around it.

Are music history and art history fine arts credits? They seem like humanities/history credits to me.

We have a full schedule already and dd isn't interested in adding any more fine arts than necessary. :)

In TN, they'd be considered Fine Arts.

My understanding is that fine arts credits are separated into 2 categories: performance and appreciation (theory, history, etc.)

If your child is not going into the fine arts, you probably don't need to have performance credits (but of couse the university has the final say!!)

I think the importance of high school credit for fine arts appreciation is that your child does not go into a university level course completely ingnorant of the subject.

Here are some thoughts on how you could add fine arts into your education:

• Teaching Company lectures on music, museums, etc.

• go to live performances of the symphony, ballet, opera, plays

• watch for special exhibitions at art museums in your city or when you travel (I've seen local exhibitions on 1st Century Christian Art, Isreal Archeology, Hatshepsut - these exhibitions brought art and artifacts from around the world to my city - on 1/2 price day admissions are less than $10)

• see if there are any Dummie or Idiot books on fine art history or appreciation

Since you are a home educator, you get to decide the requirements for your course - it's up to you to decide how in depth you want to go.

I think Music History or Art History could be counted under Fine Arts. However, it might not be hard to sign your child up for some kind of art, drama, or music lesson/experience and gain the credit that way. To me, it seems that some sort of art/music/drama experience and knowledge would be helpful in many fields and is part of a well-rounded education.

My dd worked through a college Music Appreciation textbook this year. She read the chapter, listened to the CD (came with book) when prompted by the text, took several online quizes at the book's website, and wrote 3 or 4 little bio papers on a few composers. I think I gave her a half credit, but could have easily given a full credit with more assignments.

Also here in TN private music lessons can be counted as performance art. Keep track of practice hours or determine an average number of hours practiced per week.

Being in a play at church, co-op group, support group, or local little theatre can count as well.

When my oldest ds interviewed for college several years ago they were very impressed with his fine arts credits, mostly that he had taken violin for years. He had participated in a homeschool choir, and took a music theory class. The interviewer said it would look good on his application when he applied to go for his doctorate.

God bless,

Vicki

Unfortunately, my daughter has no desire to do any outside classes in the fine arts. But, I did find that Oak Meadow offers four credits for Fine Arts: Art History, Drawing, Music and AP Art History. I think my daughter could do at least two of those adding in appropriate Teaching Company DVDs and that would look quite solid and should be fairly painless for her. :D

I have not looked at many college admission requirements.

But because ds is somewhat interested in Landscape Architecture, we did look at Calpoly.

They have a "visual performing arts" requirement. For the school in general it is 2 semesters and for landscape architecture it is 4 semesters...

So it certainly pays to pay attention to the school you want to attend. I have no idea how he would get these here, but can see their importance in a field where you have to work with clients...

Joan

But because ds is somewhat interested in Landscape Architecture, we did look at Calpoly.

They have a "visual performing arts" requirement. For the school in general it is 2 semesters and for landscape architecture it is 4 semesters...

Wow. Four semesters? in high school? What do they include as a visual performing art?

FWIW, I didn't have any fine arts at all. We were allowed five classes per semester, so to take a fine art (ie. band or orchestra) you had to drop your foreign language. None of the schools I applied to required fine arts. Ds applied to 4 schools, none of which required a fine art either.

It pays to check your school.

My dd worked through a college Music Appreciation textbook this year. She read the chapter, listened to the CD (came with book) when prompted by the text, took several online quizes at the book's website, and wrote 3 or 4 little bio papers on a few composers. I think I gave her a half credit, but could have easily given a full credit with more assignments.]

Would you share the title of the book you used? This sounds like something that would be very simple to implement for my dd.

Curriculum in the state of California is pretty well dictated by the University of California entrance requirements, which include one year of fine arts. No getting around it.

In CA, does the one year have to be in the same subject? Can you do a semester of piano and then a semester of something else, or is it better to do the same subject..like a year of piano.

Thanks.

My dd worked through a college Music Appreciation textbook this year. She read the chapter, listened to the CD (came with book) when prompted by the text, took several online quizes at the book's website, and wrote 3 or 4 little bio papers on a few composers. I think I gave her a half credit, but could have easily given a full credit with more assignments.

Pam,

This sounds like a great resource. Could you share the title or isbn of the book/cd you used. or the book's website.

Thanks.

In CA, does the one year have to be in the same subject? Can you do a semester of piano and then a semester of something else, or is it better to do the same subject..like a year of piano.

Thanks.

In CA the one year class must be in the same fine arts subject. One year of drawing or one year of drama counts, one semester of drawing and one semester of drama does not count.

In CA the one year class must be in the same fine arts subject. One year of drawing or one year of drama counts, one semester of drawing and one semester of drama does not count.

Photo Ninja - do you know then what is counted a Visual Performing Arts as listed in the link above for Calpoly?

Thanks,

Joan

• 2 months later...
do you know then what is counted a Visual Performing Arts as listed in the link above for Calpoly?

I finally found the answer to this question so am posting in case there is anyone else who needs to know...

On the UC website a list of courses for Visual Performing Arts.

Joan