Menu

Movies that encourage a love for science...

specialmama

I was thinking about watching Lorenzo's Oil with my 10yr old. Her brother has a disability, and although there is no cure for autism right now, I think she'll relate quite well to this movie. It's been 10+ yrs since I've seen it though. From what I recall it seems appropriate for around grade 5 and up, right? Is anyone aware of any discussion questions or material available to go with this movie?

Any other movies that would encourage a love for science?

How about those 80s movies starring teens, like....Real Genius (with Val Kilmer), anyone? Manhattan Project (with Cynthia Nixon)? Project X (with Matthew Broderick)?

....Er maybe that wasn't quite what you were looking for.

Most of the inspiring science movies tend to be about medicine, I think.

However, I really like the movie Swades: We, the People, a movie from India. The main character is a NASA engineer who returns home for a visit to bring his childhood nanny back with him to the US and ... things happen where he is able to use his skills to benefit others.

We like October Sky--it's about Homer Hickam and the Rocket Boys. There's one small "boy talk about girls" scene, and a little drinking or talk of drinking, but otherwise appropriate and wonderful.

Wonderful movie, we love it. There is quite a bit of foul language in some scenes.

Even though these films are very old, some of the science is "dated", and there is a charming "hokeyness" to them -- we (my family) are far from alone in our love for the old Bell Science films, some of which were directed by Frank Capra.

The best disc is Hemo the Magnificent and Unchained Goddess, available at Amazon. Hemo is about blood, esp. red blood cells, and the other is about the weather. There is some old Earth creationism and brief smoking!!!

Not *exactly* what you're looking for perhaps, but at that age, our boys loved:

- Bill Nye the Science Guy series

- Amazing Planet (short series by National Geographic)

- Building Big series by David Macauley

- Popular Mechanics for Kids series

- various NOVA episodes (see PBS online -- some you can watch online!)

Other interesting science series to consider:

- The Animated Hero Classics (Florence Nightingale, Louis Pasteur, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, etc.)

- Connections series hosted by Allen Burke

- Mythbusters series

And what about the old just-for-fun Flubber movies starring Fred McMurray: "The Absent Minded Professor" and "Son of Flubber"?

Other older films:

- Madame Curie (1943)

- The Story of Louie Pasteur (1935)

We just watched Gorillas in the Mist with our boys. They're earning their wildlife conservation beltloops for Cub Scouts and it just happened to be on PBS this weekend. The language was more than we were completely comfortable with *and* we had to have a talk about adultery (ahem!), but I think the strengths of the movie far outweighed the negatives on the subject of endangered animals.

Not a movie, but kids have found a new love of science with They Might be Giants, Here Comes Science songs and videos. TONS of info in these, catchy songs. They're going around singing about cells, photosynthesis and the "blood mobile" all the time. (DS even made the blood mobile for his pinewood derby car this year!)