Menu

HS Class of 2014--Let's Get Them Ready!

Carmen_and_Company

Okay, on CC, there's a board for each hs graduating class, and I thought creating a thread here, on TWTM, would be great, too.

So, our kids enter 9th grade in the fall. Let's use this tread as a means to communicate with each other as to how our DC prepare for college, university, or technical school over the next 4 years.

Here's a listing of possible topics & questions:

Studying for ACT & SATs

Types of schools

high school courses

To register or not to register with an acredidation program

When to visit

When to apply

Local college fairs

Paying for college

College interviews

Writing college application essays

Visual/performing arts auditions

Aternative routes of "education"

Alternative routes to entering college

Self-employment ventures

Full-time work instead of college

Gap year

Please add ideas to the list, and let's get started!

Edited by Carmen_and_Company

Out of curiosity, where does the 2014 grad fit into the family?

Mine is our youngest, so I was kind of thinking he'd follow along based on what we learn from our '10 and '12 grads. He'll have his own niche, of course, but we'll let him finish algebra before having him write in stone what/where it's going to be. ;)

I can see this thread having a totally different perspective for those who have their '14 grad as their oldest - hence - the curiosity.

Out of curiosity, where does the 2014 grad fit into the family?

Mine is our youngest, so I was kind of thinking he'd follow along based on what we learn from our '10 and '12 grads. He'll have his own niche, of course, but we'll let him finish algebra before having him write in stone what/where it's going to be. ;)

I can see this thread having a totally different perspective for those who have their '14 grad as their oldest - hence - the curiosity.

My 2014 graduate is my middle female child, and she's quite different from her eldest & younger sibling. Learning styles, types of schools, etc., are different, and how we go about preparing and searching for schools already is a different monster.

Taz had no interest at this age in college, Storm, on the other hand, already started a college profile notebook & searches college websites. Each child is different, and I'm thinking the majority of us will have differing experiences with each child, whether eldest, middle, or youngest. I know I'm already dealing with a child wired totally different from her eldest brother with a different set of requirements and needs pertaining to her education.

Each child is different, and I'm thinking the majority of us will have differing experiences with each child, whether eldest, middle, or youngest. I know I'm already dealing with a child wired totally different from her eldest brother with a different set of requirements and needs pertaining to her education.

I agree with this totally. Each of mine are different in their niches. What hasn't changed (yet) is the info I've gleaned by going through the process with my first and starting it with my second. I was a bit overwhelmed and definitely made newbie mistakes with my first. There's a bit of searching and work to do/things to learn for my second since his field is totally different, but the "overwhelmed" and "newbie" feeling I had is no longer there. I expect to have even less internal issues with the third. (AND no one has to burst my bubble if my projections aren't true! :tongue_smilie:)

My 2 oldest will most likely be graduating in 2014, so I've got double the pressure right now. Most days it doesn't worry me, but some days...

I've been lurking around the high school and college threads for a few months, and it's been helpful. This thread sounds like a good idea. I look forward to learning more from those of you who've BTDT. -J

Looks like my dd, my baby, will be in the 2014 graduating class! She's already thought about it, and said she's going to the local CC for prerequisites, then to the state College for the rest. She also has looked some to see what's available to take based on what her interests are, and thinks this will work out fine. We'll see how it pans out, sounds good to me, I'm not ready for her to leave, even in 4 or 5 years!

My ds16 has no clue yet what he wants to do, which is fine by me, for now. Oldest is in a great, but EXPENSIVE Christian college this year.

My 2014 grad is my eldest of four dc. He is clueless as of now...no wait, he says he wants to be a video game designer. :glare: Not exactly what I have in mind, but for now I'm trying to steer him elsewhere while not crushing his dream.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Edited by LanaTron
changing 1014 to 2014 LOL

My 2014 is my youngest. Her preparation will be very different from her older brother and sister in many ways but the same in many ways. She is our mathy/science/engineering kid and the others aren't. The reason it will still be the same in a number of ways was that the olders while not mathy/science kids, were quite competent in those areas. Next year I will have a senior and a freshman and they will do two classes together- physics and world history. I expect this one to do AP Physics or college physics again in 12 grade or earlier.

And thanks for starting this thread!

My oldest will be going into 9th grade next year. We purchased Lee Binz's Homeschooling Through High School DVD, but haven't had time to watch it yet. I also went to the local HS curriculum fair two weeks ago just to see what they use in different classes and was pleasantly surprised (in the sense that "I can DO this!") I was also grateful to see that the teachers and counselors I talked to were quite accepting of home schooling and happy to include us wherever we'd like. I am already feeling encouraged - especially with the knowledge that there are some other "2014ers" here that want to connect!

Blessings,

Julie in MO:001_smile:

Well, when I saw this meant my eldest...here comes the bubbly tummy....

We're working toward organizational and study skill improvements now so we can be successful and eventually independent. If this doesn't improve, he'll be entering 1 class in CC 11th grade. It it turns out well, he'll take 1 CC class in 10th grade :)

Great start. I still would rather be in denial though. It's much less planning!

Our 2 took the ACT this year, and I think they may try the SAT next year, so they can see if they prefer/ do much better on one than the other before it really counts. I think we'll wait for the PSAT until they can try for the National Merit Scholarship, which I think is their junior year.

I'll have to look for the thread you referenced.

Our local Community College has a program on video game design. They have a lot of vocational training options there. I couldn't talk my dd into any of them. How would your son react if you took his suggestion seriously and enrolled him in a college course?

I don't have anyone in the class of 2014. I was just reading the thread wishing I could start the journey again.

Have fun!

Our 2 took the ACT this year, and I think they may try the SAT next year, so they can see if they prefer/ do much better on one than the other before it really counts. I think we'll wait for the PSAT until they can try for the National Merit Scholarship, which I think is their junior year.

I'll have to look for the thread you referenced.

Link to thread: Unfair Advantaeg on SAT?

My 2014 grad is my eldest of four dc. He is clueless as of now...no wait, he says he wants to be a video game designer. :glare: Not exactly what I have in mind, but for now I'm trying to steer him elsewhere while not crushing his dream.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Why is it not what you have in mind? Computer programming is *huge*. As he learns more about programming, he may realize there are better uses for computer programming-my uncle programmed the AWAC, for example. He now programs weather satellites.

Do you plan to have your dc sit the PSAT or Plan test beginning in 9th grade? I'm curious after reading a thread on the general board regarding SAT scores and privilege.

I'm pretty sure they can take the PSAT in ninth grade without it "counting against them." My aunt (whose dd *did* receive a National Merit Scholarship) advised me to have dd sit for the test in ninth so that she wouldn't be taking it for the first time when it counted.

Do you plan to have your dc sit the PSAT or Plan test beginning in 9th grade? I'm curious after reading a thread on the general board regarding SAT scores and privilege.

One of the newbie mistakes I made was not having my oldest take the PSAT at all. I feel fortunate in that he wouldn't have been National Merit anyway. His math and reading were there, but his writing was not - it still isn't. He's not a good writer.

I had my middle son take the PSAT this year - his sophomore year. That was great. He did well - inspiring him - and it helped him get over some of his jitters. He was too slow at first on the math portion and missed the final 7 due to time (and being told there was 5 minutes left, 4 minutes left, 3 minutes left, etc, by the proctor). He rallied and picked his pace up for the 2nd math portion and only missed 2 on that whole section. So, his reading and writing are in range, and he knows math can be (as it was on practice tests). In April he's taking the ACT for more practice, but, of course, it's a different test. If he scores high enough on that he won't need to take it again. We'll finish with the PSAT in the fall of his junior year when it counts and the SAT in the spring.

Personally, I feel no need to start those tests any earlier than sophomore year. However, my own 2014er is already doing the SAT/ACT questions of the day - and getting many of them right plus learning when he doesn't. It's good practice without the stress.

I have a junior too who is 2011 class. So she is getting a lot of college mail. Today was a light day for homeschooling since we were getting ready for the speech and debate tournament that starts tomorrow. So the youngest (2014) picked up one of her sister;s college mailings and is looking through it. I see her pursuing the major list. I ask her what is she doing and she says she is thinking she should get a good idea of what major she will have before starting high school because she wants to do high school right. The university she was looking at did have engineering so we discussed some types of engineering. THen I went online and found her the website of WOmen in Engineering thinking they might have some information for her. They did and she saw a link to what high school subjects she should take. IT reassured her that I had already told her that most of the classes were requirements. But it is funny to me that both of my girls were very interested in making sure they were doing the right subjects in high school and my oldest, a son, was completely uninterested and trusting me to do what was right.

I don't even want to think about my baby starting high school...Thankfully I have awhile for that one! LOL. I know some of the things we will be doing next year because they are just a continuation from what we are doing now. Like the next level in Latin or math. I really am trying to not stress about it and just think of it like any other grade and meet my child where she is at.

Lynda

Well, my 2014 graduate will be my last graduate:party:

Here's my plan:

1. Take the ACT this April (always do this when they are finishing 8th grade). This allows me to tweak my plans for high school.

2. We anticipate concurrent enrollment beginning in 11th. This will not cover all his courses - he will still do some at home or in our co-op.

3. As a senior, he will probably be totally concurrent.

Courses for 9th:

Math (we're considering - he's had alg. 1, some alg. 2, geometry already)

English 9 (Using MCT LA as well as Great Books literature)

Science (probably Biology taught at our co-op; maybe chemistry)

OK History (required for high school diploma)

He will most likely go into a science/math field, so we may try to find a way for him to do some research with a professor (we know a couple). He is in Boy Scouts and looks like he will Eagle sometime during his 9th grade. I would like him to do some summer programs (Patrick Henry Leadership Courses or something along that line).

You know, when I think video games, I think of all the dark and violent ones out there. I work part-time at Blockbuster, and the vast majority of games we have are ones I don't want in my house, and wouldn't be happy if my child were designing such stuff. But he really is a gentle soul, so I guess I should trust him a little more. There are plenty of games on the internet, phones, etc. that are not violent, right?

Why is it not what you have in mind? Computer programming is *huge*. As he learns more about programming, he may realize there are better uses for computer programming-my uncle programmed the AWAC, for example. He now programs weather satellites.

Well, I think that he's not talking about doing the programming. I think he wants to think up the story lines, etc. of the games.

When I said it wasn't what I had in mind, I only meant that I hope that my dc will use their skills to contribute something positive in the world, and so many games are not that. But you read my other post below, so you see that I'm rethinking it all.

Not for 9th, but for 10th, if he's still interested, I'll see about getting him into the program at the local CC. They have two different certificates--one only requires 4 courses, the other 8, and the associate's degree is typical for a 2-year degree.

I'm pretty sure they can take the PSAT in ninth grade without it "counting against them." My aunt (whose dd *did* receive a National Merit Scholarship) advised me to have dd sit for the test in ninth so that she wouldn't be taking it for the first time when it counted.

Well, y'all on this board may change my mind about this. :D

My dd will be doing Algebra 2 in 9th, and hasn't taken Geometry yet. Do you think it'd still be advisable for her to sit for the PSAT in 9th?

My dd will be doing Algebra 2 in 9th, and hasn't taken Geometry yet. Do you think it'd still be advisable for her to sit for the PSAT in 9th?

Yes, the scores do not count until 11th grade. You want your child to sit the Psat early so she becomes familiar with the test format, and the pacing of each test section.

Well, I think that he's not talking about doing the programming. I think he wants to think up the story lines, etc. of the games.

Ah, I see. Well, you can't do that without programming. It just doesn't work that way. Has he played Runescape? Whether or not he plays, the two of you could look over the "developer blogs" on the runescape website. It explains what developers do when developing a new part of the game. http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/index.ws

When I said it wasn't what I had in mind, I only meant that I hope that my dc will use their skills to contribute something positive in the world, and so many games are not that. But you read my other post below, so you see that I'm rethinking it all.

I'm glad you're rethinking it. Sure, I wouldn't my child programming Doom or Resident Evil but what about Mario, Wii Fit, Spyro, etc? There are tons of great games out there.

Consider her personality. If I were to have my 2014er sit for the test in 9th grade before he had all the math it would just discourage him. There will be more than enough time to practice with taking it in 10th grade and in home practicing. Some kids get inspired by things they don't know. Some get discouraged if they don't know enough. Consider your own when making decisions. The test counts in 11th grade.

Consider her personality. If I were to have my 2014er sit for the test in 9th grade before he had all the math it would just discourage him. There will be more than enough time to practice with taking it in 10th grade and in home practicing. Some kids get inspired by things they don't know. Some get discouraged if they don't know enough. Consider your own when making decisions. The test counts in 11th grade.
Thankyou for your comments! My dd tends to get discouraged if she doesn't do well! She is always upper 90 percents on the Iowa tests, but that's different. The good thing is, she's not intimidated by tests or afraid of them, so she'd do okay in that sense. I wouldn't want to make her afraid of or discouraged by them by doing one in 9th that she may not do well on..... Looking at it from this pov makes me think I better wait, and do more practice tests if need be.

Thanks again!

My dd tends to get discouraged if she doesn't do well!

My guy is a perfectionist wannabe. He doesn't have the natural talent his oldest brother has and doesn't have the "can do" attitude his middle brother has (coupled with academic talent). He is smart, but since it's not top of the top smart, he feels dumb. I have to be really careful about what I ask him to do and when or he gets discouraged and will simply give up claiming to not care. I know it hurts him terribly when he can't do as well as he wants to.

For now, I have him signed up for the SAT Question of the Day and he does the ACT Question of the Day - but on his own - in his own privacy. He beams when he gets questions right (quite often in English/Writing, sometimes in math, but not so often since he is just in Alg 1). He hasn't gotten discouraged with that, but he refused to do the questions when we would all gather around the computer and discuss them as he felt overshadowed by his older brothers. He can't really comprehend that they are "better" because they are older and have done more. Yes, he knows it, but internally he can't accept it.

If I were to sign him up for an official test and he got a respectable, but not great, score, I know it would totally discourage him and make him feel like a failure since it wasn't up to his brothers standards. We'll wait until he's had Geometry and/or Alg 2, then do practice tests, then let him take it in 10th grade for testing practice in a real situation.

However, my middle son, had I had him take the test in 9th, would have been incredibly motivated to learn all he didn't know. That's the way he was when I let him read his brother's SAT Prep book. He also took the test the first time in 10th and did quite well. He ought to have a good chance for NMS next year. Not taking it in 9th didn't hurt him, but it wouldn't have hurt if he had either. They are just two different personalities.

My oldest wouldn't have cared either way - nor done any extra to "improve." Tests don't phase him. He's naturally talented in math and reading - not so in writing - and it still doesn't bug him. He just picked a field where he won't be writing all that much! It'll suit him well.

It's looking like Calvin will be in the class of 2014. He's likely to be going to school in the autumn though (at 13 2/3), so I suspect I won't have much to contribute to the threads. I think it's a great move for him, so I'm not (too) sad about it.

Laura

It's looking like Calvin will be in the class of 2014. He's likely to be going to school in the autumn though (at 13 2/3), so I suspect I won't have much to contribute to the threads. I think it's a great move for him, so I'm not (too) sad about it.

Laura

Mine attend school, now, but I started the thread as the process--outside of creating our own transcripts--is the same for test prep, school search, school visits, applications, and the waiting game. We'll all have questions regarding early action versus early decision, honors programs or not, in-state or out-state schools, and so much more.

We're all looking forward to your participation in our discussions as we prepare another set of WTM graduates for college/university.

My guy is a perfectionist wannabe. He doesn't have the natural talent his oldest brother has and doesn't have the "can do" attitude his middle brother has (coupled with academic talent). He is smart, but since it's not top of the top smart, he feels dumb. I have to be really careful about what I ask him to do and when or he gets discouraged and will simply give up claiming to not care. I know it hurts him terribly when he can't do as well as he wants to.

For now, I have him signed up for the SAT Question of the Day and he does the ACT Question of the Day - but on his own - in his own privacy. He beams when he gets questions right (quite often in English/Writing, sometimes in math, but not so often since he is just in Alg 1). He hasn't gotten discouraged with that, but he refused to do the questions when we would all gather around the computer and discuss them as he felt overshadowed by his older brothers. He can't really comprehend that they are "better" because they are older and have done more. Yes, he knows it, but internally he can't accept it.

If I were to sign him up for an official test and he got a respectable, but not great, score, I know it would totally discourage him and make him feel like a failure since it wasn't up to his brothers standards. We'll wait until he's had Geometry and/or Alg 2, then do practice tests, then let him take it in 10th grade for testing practice in a real situation.

However, my middle son, had I had him take the test in 9th, would have been incredibly motivated to learn all he didn't know. That's the way he was when I let him read his brother's SAT Prep book. He also took the test the first time in 10th and did quite well. He ought to have a good chance for NMS next year. Not taking it in 9th didn't hurt him, but it wouldn't have hurt if he had either. They are just two different personalities.

My oldest wouldn't have cared either way - nor done any extra to "improve." Tests don't phase him. He's naturally talented in math and reading - not so in writing - and it still doesn't bug him. He just picked a field where he won't be writing all that much! It'll suit him well.

Funny--your kids sound like mine: My oldest--same, my middle--same, my youngest--same! :D I find it interesting that they're so alike in their personalities!

The only difference is that my oldest had a bad experience with his teacher and reading in 1st grade, that TOTALLY forever changed his reading. Before that year I couldn't keep enough books in the house for him! After that year, he wouldn't read AT ALL for almost a year! Now, in college, he tolerates reading, but never found the love of reading again! :angry: He does well in his classes, hardly ever had to study (which was good since he didn't like reading!), but is a very slow reader (which affected his scores on timed tests). Anyway, other than that, they sound the same.

I thank you for what you wrote. My dd would get discouraged. SHe likes a challenge (her words), but really, she needs to do well in that challenge to truly like it! :tongue_smilie: I think we'll go the at home preppingthis coming year, and wait to test in 10th!

Mine attend school, now, but I started the thread as the process--outside of creating our own transcripts--is the same for test prep, school search, school visits, applications, and the waiting game. We'll all have questions regarding early action versus early decision, honors programs or not, in-state or out-state schools, and so much more.

However, it's likely that the boys will end up attending university in the UK. They are dual UK/US citizens but it's so much cheaper to attend here (currently Scottish universities charge no fees to UK citizens who are resident in Scotland; English universities, including the big names such as Oxford and Cambridge, only charge about Ă‚Â£3,000 per year to citizens). It's hard to imagine achieving a comparable education for that price in the US, especially when you factor in the travel expenses.

UK university applications are a little less complicated because there are almost no scholarships to chase and you have to use one common application for all your universities: fill in one form, write one essay and you are finished. There are no transcripts - all offers of places are based on public exam results plus (sometimes) interviews.

Laura

Funny--your kids sound like mine: My oldest--same, my middle--same, my youngest--same! :D I find it interesting that they're so alike in their personalities!

That is interesting! Most people tell me their oldest is their studious one. My oldest is good with his academic talent and eager to learn, but his younger brother is far more studious by personality.