Menu

Side By Each

I do not think it is redneck. Maybe some kind of regional thing. You should ask the person who says it next time they say it.

I did. What they said was, "because it is what I mean."

:confused:

I have grown up hearing it. I always thought it was local, until we rec'd an email from someone from (I think) New York who said it.

I say "redneck" with the utmost affection - it is not meant as derogatory at all. My family may have its own entry under "redneck" in the encyclopedia. :lol: We have many 'Sconsinisms - and I love words...its all good to me. :)

I just can't figure out why it would be grammatically wrong, even though I know it is.

A side is a noun. It's a person, place, or thing. (Thing: your side, sort of like your arm. Your side is a thing on your body.)

Each is an adjective. It describes a noun. (Which boy? Each boy. Each is the adjective describing the boy.)

So, you sit with your side next to his side. Side by side.

You can't sit with your side next to his each. He doesn't have an each for you to sit next to. Each isn't a thing or a place to be sitting next to.

A side is a noun. It's a person, place, or thing. (Thing: your side, sort of like your arm. Your side is a thing on your body.)

Each is an adjective. It describes a noun. (Which boy? Each boy. Each is the adjective describing the boy.)

So, you sit with your side next to his side. Side by side.

You can't sit with your side next to his each. He doesn't have an each for you to sit next to. Each isn't a thing or a place to be sitting next to.

BAM!! Thank you! I think the reason I couldn't figure it out is because I have been so immersed in it. You are absoutely right.

I also saw some French-Canadians use this phrase.

Oh, I found this on a Rhode Island website,

http://www.search.com/reference/Woonsocket,_Rhode_Island

Many of the French-Canadian immigrants use French grammar in order to form English sentences. Therefore, instead of "side by side" and "throw my coat downstairs," the phrases become "side by each" and "throw me down the stairs my coat." This is prevalent among the older residents of the city, but has become scarce as grandchildren and great-grandchildren of French Canadian immigrants have Americanized themselves.

I've never heard it. I'd also guess it is regional.

I'd say you need something with the 'each' to make it correct. We were beside each other. Its like combining two phrases.

It may be something that was originally translated from another language.

I think this is exactly how it happened. "Beside each other" and "side by side" became combined probably by someone who didn't speak English as a first language into "side by each." You can see why. The two phrases mean pretty much the same thing and have similar sounding words. Interesting.

I also saw some French-Canadians use this phrase.

Oh, I found this on a Rhode Island website,

http://www.search.com/reference/Woonsocket,_Rhode_Island

Many of the French-Canadian immigrants use French grammar in order to form English sentences. Therefore, instead of "side by side" and "throw my coat downstairs," the phrases become "side by each" and "throw me down the stairs my coat." This is prevalent among the older residents of the city, but has become scarce as grandchildren and great-grandchildren of French Canadian immigrants have Americanized themselves.

Very interesting. My grandmother (to whom I referred earlier in the thread) is French, and used this phrase a lot. Dh's mother's mother is French, and she is the one who has permeated the lineage, so to speak, with this phrase.

Huh.

The fellow whose email I referred to might be from NewFoundland - dh has a lot of customers from there. This fellow was talking about fishing on the Georgian Bay, so I assumed he was "from" NY...not necessarily so...

Hmmm...

Thanks!