Menu

Personal Opinions

Goodallmomma

I'm sure everyone has heard this question a MILLION times but if you could just answer it once more for me, I sure would appreciate it. Since we started homeschooling we have been through A Beka Book (full curriculum), Rod & Staff(English), Spelling Workout, Writing Strands, Mind Benders, Red Herrings, Story of the World, Prima Latina and a few others. I don't feel we have had great success with any of them except A Beka's math program. In your opinion what is the simpliest, most well rounded, least time consuming curriculum you have used for the follow subjects:

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling):

History & Geography:

Science:

Bible:

Foriegn Language:

Reading:

Spelling:

Vocabulary:

Writing:

I would prefer Christ based products, but willing to try something else if it's easier for my daughter (who is in between 5th and 6th grade).

Thanks!

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling): Junior Analytical Grammar for that age, with Language Mechanic by Critical Thinking Press

History & Geography: we've used many things but have had the most success w/BiblioPlan

Science: can't be much help here, we are still struggling

Bible: catechism, memory work, family Bible study led by mom or dad; the Kay Arthur books were good, also

Foriegn Language: tutor or coop class

Reading: WTM list w/ written summaries

Spelling: spelling workout

Vocabulary: wordly wise

Writing: IEW

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling): I use a combo of Abeka, Intermediate LAnguage Lessons

History & Geography: My Father's World

Science: MFW

Bible: MFW

Foriegn Language: Rosetta Stone

Reading: to learn to read Abeka/MFW

Spelling: Abeka

Vocabulary: Lively Latin/ Vocab from Classical Roots

Writing: WWE / Writing Strands

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling): we like both Serl's Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons and Sheldon's Language Lessons

History & Geography: Evan Moor's daily geography practice, but we haven't found a history we like

Science: apologia for elementary

Foriegn Language: I interject Spanish into our conversations

Reading: Ambleside Online literature list

Spelling: Spelling Wisdom

Vocabulary: read good books from AO

Writing: there's plenty in PLL and ILL

QUOTE]

we try to keep it very simple, but mine are fairly young (only 2nd and 3rd grades)

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling): Rod and Staff which also includes writing.

History & Geography: Rod and Staff History includes both and my son enjoys it.

Science: Rod and Staff

Bible: Rod and Staff and Heart of Dakota

Foriegn Language: Le Francais Facile (Hooked on Phonics for a younger child)

Reading: Rod and Staff

Spelling: Rod and Staff

We also use Draw Write Now for art, typing instructor for kids, a geog "states and capitals" book, a poetry study from HOD, Music from R&S, and Read Alouds chosen from the HOD guides.

If you want simple and least time-consuming Christian curriculum, CLE all around would seem to be a good fit...

We used CLE and have switched to mostly R&S. When it comes to History and Science, R&S delivers much more. The CLE version of Science and SS are not even updated in the upper grades. For my mathy kid, CLE math is used and we love it. Other than that, I have really preferred R&S. Having a child that can re-use the hard texts doesn't hurt a bit either.

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling):GWG, Abeka (I use this with Queen's Language Lessons), Editor in Chief

History & Geography: Around the World in 180 Days for Geo

Science: BJU or Apologia

Bible:

Foriegn Language:

Reading: DITHOR

Spelling: Power

Vocabulary: Word Roots

Writing: Ignite Your Writing

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling):

History & Geography: Story of the World/God's World magazine/National Geographic Magazine and do Geography Bees

Science: Library books and FIRST Lego League and Science Fairs

Bible: AWANA

Foriegn Language:http://studyspanish.com/ (I am actually taking another Spanish program, but this one is free)

Reading: the literature books from Ambleside Online

Spelling: copywork and dictation from good literature and do Spelling Bees

Vocabulary: Vocabulary Vines

Writing: Classical Writing (a little too intense, I preferred Writing Tales)

Blessing,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

My honest opinion:

For language arts including vocabulary, reading and writing--Oak Meadow is well-rounded and the writing is linked to history.

History & Geography--again I really like Oak Meadow it is complete and it is tied to the language arts. But I have used and liked SOTW I but not so much on the other volumes (too bloody).

Science--A subject that I have tried many things with and I love, love, love the way Oak Meadow teaches science. It is how I always envisioned science being. Stress-free projects, interesting subject matter and not overwhelming or dull.

Bible--I haven't found anything that I really like and I've been pursuing this for 5 years. I liked Sonlight PreK but since then we've tried several things but nothing that we really liked or stuck with.

Spelling--Spell to Write and Read has worked for us for so long. I've looked at other programs but I took the time to really learn and play with this one so that my children could learn the method from me. It is a logical method and since I decided to make worksheets out of the enrichment activities it is a thorough method too.

Basically, I like Oak Meadow for everything but math and spelling. They make it all so easy on me and it is very thorough. The language arts is a bit advanced in that there are a lot of writing assignments. (At least that is my opionion).:001_smile:

English : Rod and Staff

History & Geography: We love Mystery of History - definitely Christian

Bible: Positive Action for Christ or Explorer's Bible Study

Reading: we read literature that goes along with the time period of history we are studying. I have always been able to find study guides online if we want them.

Vocabulary: Vocabulary Vine or Vocabulary from Classical Roots

If you like the looks of Mystery of History, there is a program written to go along with it that encompasses literature, writing, grammar, spelling, geography, bible, timelines and supplemental resources. It is called Illuminations. Both Mystery of History and Illuminations are published by Bright Ideas Press. Just throwing something else out there for you to look at. :)

Here's my incomplete list: ;)

Language/English: Easy Grammar

History & Geography: Heart of Dakota (love the Christian worldview!) or Story of the World (although I prefer a Christian worldview)

Science: Apologia or Heart of Dakota

Bible: Heart of Dakota or Queen

Foreign Language:

Reading: reading good literature followed by an oral or written narration

Spelling: Simply Spelling (includes punctuation and grammar in context) or Heart of Dakota

Vocabulary: reading plenty of good literature

Writing: Writing With Ease

Edited by angela&4boys

Language/English: This has been a thorn in my side, so I don't have a good answer! I just ordered "Phonics Road to Reading & Spelling" though. It is an all-in-one LA curriculum. They also have a program for olders called "The Bridge to the Latin Road". It's for a 5th/6th grader. We have also enjoyed Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons.

History & Geography: Biblioplan

Science: Right now co-op classes and the library!

Bible: Biblioplan has biblical history interwoven.

Foreign Language:

Reading: Ambleside online literature selections and narration

Spelling: Simply Spelling although my oldest is needing something *more*.

Vocabulary:

Writing: Writing Tales - I *love* this program as well as my daughter and as soon as we get her spelling improved it will be even better!

simpliest, most well rounded, least time consuming curriculum you have used for the follow subjects:

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling): The Phonics Road - hands down

History & Geography: MOH was simpliest, but I find TOG more well rounded

Science: Noeo and Apologia for elementary....simple for mid school Thames and Kosmos kits.

Bible: Me :)

Foriegn Language: Latin Road, Rosetta Stone was easy, but not the best. Using a 3-month course now, just teaching it over 1-2 years.

Reading: The Phonics Road

Spelling: The Phonics Road

Vocabulary:The Phonics Road

Writing: The Phonics Road; Middle school- love the instruction in Write Shop. Enjoy the simplicity in Writing Aids

I would prefer Christ based products, but willing to try something else if it's easier for my daughter (who is in between 5th and 6th grade).

your welcome :)

In your opinion what is the simpliest, most well rounded, least time consuming curriculum you have used for the follow subjects:

Excellent Question! (My answers in red) And you did mention that you are happy with ABEKA Math but I am adding that we are using Saxon 7/6 as that is the level DD would be using in fifth grade had she stayed in private school. HTH

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling): MCT dd 5th grade is in Voyage; she had three years of being taught IEW in private school which is a huge positive.

History & Geography: Memoria Press Famous Men of the Middle ages - coordinated with History Odyssey Level Two Middle Ages -- Geography: Holling C. Hollings (Beautiful Feet); and CLAA Chronology I

Science: Nothing formal at home

Bible: Memoria Press Christian Studies II

Foriegn Language: Latin -- DD completed two years of Latin in private school (LC I and II) - at home we are doing CLAA Grammar I - which is Latin)

Reading: Real Books - Veritas and Memoria Selections and HO is literature-centered; additionally, she did all the 5th grade reading in LCC so we've moved on to other level appropriate selections.

Spelling: We were doing Spelling Workout E but she doesn't really need to be doing spelling

Vocabulary: IEW Medieval Theme Based Writing (sporadically for vocab) and MCT CE II; we have WW and we use it sometimes - she likes it and it is 'busy work' without insulting her.

Writing: MCT

Thanks!

:)

Edited by MariannNOVA

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling): R&S English (includes writing, dicitonary skills, etc. but not reading, spelling, or vocab)

All of the subjects below are very well covered in Heart of Dakota:

History & Geography: HOD

Science: HOD

Bible: HOD (I LOVE the Bible lessons in HOD)

Spelling: through dictation, copywork (works wonders!)

Vocabulary: tied into the lesson so the words are learned in context, comes from the history/science readings

Writing:included in R&S English and also through Write With the Best (which is written into the Heart of Dakota plans)

Foriegn Language; Will be included in one of the new HOD guides that will be coming out over the next year or two(Latin), but we also liked Prima Latina/Latina Christiana with the DVDs, currently using English from the Roots Up and very much enjoy that!

Reading: Drawn Into The Heart Of Reading

I haven't found anything that works as well as HOD! For our family, even with 4 kids (one being a newborn), I am finding my day is very doable and I am able to meet my kids on their level. I love teaching it and they love learning from it!

I was concerned about using Saxon because they don't separate Geometry, which means she will not have finished it before its time for the SATs. I know that is a long way down the road, but I don't want to switch back and forth between math curriculum.

And you did mention that you are happy with ABEKA Math but I am adding that we are using Saxon 7/6 as that is the level DD would be using in fifth grade had she stayed in private school.

I was concerned about using Saxon because they don't separate Geometry, which means she will not have finished it before its time for the SATs. I know that is a long way down the road, but I don't want to switch back and forth between math curriculum.

I hear you -- dd used Singapore in 2nd and 3rd grade in school, and then in 4th grade they used Saxon 6/5. We went with 7/6 in case she returns there for 6th grade so she would be on track.

I totally understand not wanting to switch back and forth with Math --:w00t:

In your opinion what is the simpliest, most well rounded, least time consuming curriculum you have used for the follow subjects:

History & Geography: Choose a good book (There are many lists broken down like http://www.amblesideonline.org/index2.shtml, http://www.greatbooksacademy.org/curriculum/curriculum-book-list/), read it and discuss it. Use a timeline and a map. Good stories and using a map are working great around here for geography.

Bible: Read from the Bible (with lists here http://www.pennygardner.com/bible.html) then discuss, draw a picture, etc.

Foriegn Language: We are loving Salsa Spanish (sorry I don't remember the download link) with my younger kids (PreK-2nd). I make flashcards (with clipart that I print, cut and glue), I've been able to get all the preparation materials from around the house so far. I plan to go to Elementary Spanish from Discovery Streaming next, but I haven't used it yet. For myself I use FSI Spanish (free). I don't know if it will work for your daughter, you need to be motivated and overlearn each lesson. I just start the audio, listen to the basic dialog several times the first few days and learn the vocabulary. Then the rest of the week (or longer if needed) I go through the exercises on the audio (which I enjoy).

Reading:Same as history/geography. Maybe your older child could read to the younger one(s)?

Spelling: Spelling Wisdom. I haven't used it yet, but this is what I plan to do. It seems pretty open and go (http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/spelling-wisdom/). Similar item free from Google Books.

Writing: Please let me know on this one! LOL.

(I took "least time consuming" to mean open and go, without having to spend hours preparing. And my oldest is 7, so my opinion is probably worth what it costs :tongue_smilie:)

History & Geography: Choose a good book (There are many lists broken down like http://www.amblesideonline.org/index2.shtml, http://www.greatbooksacademy.org/curriculum/curriculum-book-list/), read it and discuss it. Use a timeline and a map. Good stories and using a map are working great around here for geography.

Bible: Read from the Bible (with lists here http://www.pennygardner.com/bible.html) then discuss, draw a picture, etc.

Foriegn Language: We are loving Salsa Spanish (sorry I don't remember the download link) with my younger kids (PreK-2nd). I make flashcards (with clipart that I print, cut and glue), I've been able to get all the preparation materials from around the house so far. I plan to go to Elementary Spanish from Discovery Streaming next, but I haven't used it yet. For myself I use FSI Spanish (free). I don't know if it will work for your daughter, you need to be motivated and overlearn each lesson. I just start the audio, listen to the basic dialog several times the first few days and learn the vocabulary. Then the rest of the week (or longer if needed) I go through the exercises on the audio (which I enjoy).

Reading:Same as history/geography. Maybe your older child could read to the younger one(s)?

Spelling: Spelling Wisdom. I haven't used it yet, but this is what I plan to do. It seems pretty open and go (http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/spelling-wisdom/). Similar item free from Google Books.

Writing: Please let me know on this one! LOL.

(I took "least time consuming" to mean open and go, without having to spend hours preparing. And my oldest is 7, so my opinion is probably worth what it costs :tongue_smilie:)

Thank you for the free links. :)

Language/English (includes or does not include vobaculary, reading and /or spelling): BJU English

History & Geography: Mystery of History and/or Story of the World

Science:

Bible:

Foriegn Language:

Reading:

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise

Writing: WriteShop (although I would wait until 66th or 7th grade to use it)

Good question... simple and least-time-consuming are sometimes as important as most-well-rounded. :001_smile:

These are the things I would do again and recommend without hesitation:

Language/English: First Language Lesson followed by R&S grammar (R&S done mostly orally and with the worksheets)

History & Geography: Tapestry of Grace (Okay... not simple or "least time consuming," but very well rounded ;))

Science: Sonlight science - since they updated and tweaked it a couple of years ago.

Bible: ?

Foriegn Language: ?

Reading: Reading Reflex

Spelling: Calvert spelling, CDs only - they literally changed my kids from terrible spellers to above average spellers(based on yearly testing scores.) Also... after years of avoiding it I finally gave Spelling Power a chance (for my dd who has finished the Calvert CDs) and now all my kids beg me to spend 5 minutes doing Spelling Power with them each day. Crazy, huh?

Vocabulary: ?

Writing: included in R&S Grammar, followed by IEW starting in about 4th or 5th